Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,694 times

Advertisements

I hired an employment attorney who is going to make an offer to settle this case. I think this is ok with me as the EEOC might find that I don't have cause once they receive my former employer's position statement. The attorney I hired does feel I have cause. Will keep you posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM

103 posts, read 134,948 times
Keep us updated, shirleywhirley. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleywhirley View Post
I hired an employment attorney who is going to make an offer to settle this case. I think this is ok with me as the EEOC might find that I don't have cause once they receive my former employer's position statement. The attorney I hired does feel I have cause. Will keep you posted.
I thought this was a case regarding your husband and not you. Is this different than the case you initially posted about?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:14 PM

The case is for myself only. I retired against my will because of the harassment/bullying that I was receiving from two female employees - one of which was my supervisor. My employment attorney said she would speak on my behalf and make a call to my former employer and ask for a settlement. I am almost positive the employer will not pay me. I do have a case for harassment and bullying - I took lots of notes and dates from 2006 to present.
The employer might just wait for the EEOC complaint to run its course and I am sure they hope the EEOC will decide I don't have a case once the employer files their position statement.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Shirley, thank you for your reply. My apologies, I was getting you mixed up with Cassy, the op.

Good for you. I wish you the best of luck in this. Please keep us posted about the outcome.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Yikes, that's a tough situation.

I have filed an EEOC complaint in the past, and the EEOC found in my favor, but that's all I wanted--was for them to find in my favor and for the company I had worked for to knock it off. I never sued them or anything. And when I filed the complaint I was already working for someone else. It wasn't an age thing, though--it was based on gender (I was pregnant and my supervisor told me "I don't like pregnant people," sent me out to do a bogus inventory right after the place had been sprayed with pesticide, and then fired me shortly thereafter.).

Anyway, I think I would be very hesitant to mess with such a thing in this current environment. Your husband will have to be letter-perfect in every way or they can fire him and point to even the smallest mistake as the cause.
Wow, the idiot boss really said that about not liking pregnant people?

That is just the type of blatant stupidity that the law seeks to punish. The law (and the EEOC) does offer a friendly guide to discriminating employers to teach them how to do discrimination right. The law encourages employers to use incivilities and bullying (with the ultimate best practice bullying tactic being the performance evaluation) to be successfull -and legally secure.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 AM

This is Shirleywhirley reporting on the latest with my EEOC complaint against my employer. I hired an employment attorney. She is going to meet with the employer attorney on Monday 7/14/14. The employer is really trying to understand my complaint and I also get the feeling they are trying to work with me to get to a solution. My attorney feels this way too. My attorney made the comment that she gets the feeling I am liked by my former employer and it is very unusual for the employer to try to work with the charging party to come to a solution. However, my attorney says my case might be a little weak because she doesn't feel the harassment and bullying I rec'd from the 2 women in my department was done due to age discrimination, but I told her that a coworker who is 63 felt that they were trying to get ride of her and the employer was making her life miserable so she'd leave.
Maybe I have a harassment/bullying type of case instead of age discrimination. But will I have to go to trial to prove it? I haven't asked my attorney this question yet.
Thanks.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 PM

Interesting, thanks for the update. I don't know the answer to your question. Your attorney would be the best person to ask.

When you were going through this did you ever escalate it to levels above your manager? Or speak to anyone in HR? When your attorney says you're liked by your former employer, who exactly is she talking about? I would think someone there would have been your advocate.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:30 PM

105 posts, read 225,424 times
How much does it cost to hire an attorney?

Seems like the attorney was looking for a quick settlement but once there was push back...change his/her tune to the casing might be weak

Old 07-11-2014, 08:28 AM

I used to be a legal secretary in the legal department and the attorneys I worked for are still in that department. One of the attorneys in that legal department is going to be defending against me however.
I did talk on numerous occasions to the lady in HR who processes grievances about my harassing/bullying problems. She always helped me out by talking directly to my supervisor. But my supervisor detested the fact that I'd always talk about her to this HR lady and she retaliated against me constantly for revenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment