Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 PM

10,815 posts, read 14,883,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
If you don't put your foot down, you will kick yourself later. It's not worth it.

Once you cave they own you.

Is that really how you want to live your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,542,728 times
I had a straight forward patron request for special treatment and he put it in a personal way. I don't remember exactly what he said but he wanted to know if I was going to require him to do something that was one of our rules for patrons. I answered back, "Is your getting to do that so important that I should risk losing my job." Point was made. He didn't presist.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM

190 posts, read 1,074,577 times
In healthcare there are many ethical dilemmas. I think the hardest for me is having family not accept patient's wishes.... I can't tell you how many people I have helped keep alive, no matter the pain and suffering involved, against their express wishes (once they were no longer able to speak for themselves) because of family members unwilling to 'let go' or simply not knowing what the patient would want and afraid to make the wrong 'choice'.

I worked as a burn nurse for many years, and it broke my heart to continue 'scrubbing' (and believe me, it was scrubbing) a patient's wounds for months knowing that it was hopleless, but the family c/wouldn't let go.... Do you honor the patient's wishes (when s/he could express one), or the family's decision? The law decides for us, but it is still an ethical dilemma for me.....

I encourage people to talk to their families (more than once), about what you (and they) want and don't want to happen when you can no longer speak for yourself.....I do understand how hard it is to make that decision, as one never really knows if it was the 'right' one. If you have had that conversation, you, and they, have some guidance during what is an extremely stressful/emotional time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment