U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times

Advertisements

I am a linear white male. The only way I can be a minority is if I claim I'm gay. Maybe I should officially become gay for employment purposes. (Added benefit: Chicks, because they don't feel threatened, love gay guys too.)

Also, if am 1/1024th black, can I write I am black? Where is the line drawn?

Is Obama the 44th white president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:16 PM

50 posts, read 144,018 times
look on the bright side

this happened to black people for hundreds of years. this is a new problem for some people

Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am a linear white male. The only way I can be a minority is if I claim I'm gay. Maybe I should officially become gay for employment purposes. (Added benefit: Chicks, because they don't feel threatened, love gay guys too.)

Also, if am 1/1024th black, can I write I am black? Where is the line drawn?

Is Obama the 44th white president?
Charles, 3 important points:

1.) It is already against the law for you to be discriminated against for being white, or for being a man, or because of your religion. Laws against racial, gender and religious discrimination protect everyone -- regardless of whether you are a so-called "majority" or "minority" member of a particular classification.

2.) Sexual orientation discrimination is NOT yet against the law -- so actually, you can be fired from your job for being gay or straight, but NOT because you are white, or a man, or a Christian, etc. Discrimination based on sexual orientation is still perfectly legal under federal law and the laws of 29 states. That's why Congress needs to pass the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), to protect gay and straight Americans (EQUALLY) from sexual orientation discrimination, so people don't have to continue to live in fear of losing their jobs if their employer discovers their orientation and doesn't like it. So, ironically, the idea you jokingly mentioned (claiming to be gay "for employment purposes") is one of the few ways to make sure that you are NOT protected from unfair discrimination.

3.) In not too many years, we are going to be a "majority minority" country, in which there may well be more Americans who are Latino, African-American, Asian-American etc, than who are white. So at that point, white will be a minority. But none of that matters. The non-discrimination laws are here now and will be here then, for everyone equally, regardless of whether you are in a minority or majority status.

Last edited by dlm7; 09-24-2009 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: typographical

Old 09-24-2009, 08:04 AM

18,099 posts, read 15,621,234 times
There is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination. Only discrimination...and people are discriminated against for a ton of things, not just ethnicity. And it's next to impossible to prove, anyway.

In general, I feel like if you work in a workplace rife with discrimination, the only sanity-saving solution is to get out if possible, because if it's actually going on (i.e. if there are no ability/qualifications-related reasons you're getting passed over and if it's a pattern), it's pretty indicative of a dysfunctional workplace...and it's often the better option to find a better place to work than to try and be a crusader against a broken system.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,207,922 times
I'm a middle aged white heterosexual male, married with kids and I experience discrimination every single day.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,207,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasesaythe4th View Post
look on the bright side

this happened to black people for hundreds of years. this is a new problem for some people

That's the dark side, and quite fitting too since it's being caused by blacks.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM

3,688 posts, read 7,685,908 times
I read an article that pointed out that less than 1% of the complaints received regarding discrimination is filed by whites. These numbers mean nothing if your in that 1%. Like stated earlier discrimination is discrimination period. A person experience and track record should be the sole factor for his advancement. I'm black and have been in my position before. Your in a new win situation. Say something and you will be labeled as a trouble maker. Say nothing and you will be miserable. I have worked for Fortune 500 companies for the last 17 years and my last 6 direct reports have been gay. I often ask myself what are the chances of this happening. The majority of them have been great managers and I have nothing against gay people. It does make me wonder if I will ever get promoted. I would suggest you look for another position to find the environment your happy with. My guess is you find yourself in facing a different set of problems.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 AM

17,977 posts, read 17,676,031 times
I have had a problem with it in the medical office... not only from staff, but physicians as well.

One of the Asian drs actually started keeping records of it all. I do not know where it has gone from there as I have moved out of state.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:46 PM

8,591 posts, read 9,967,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You can't change the school climate so look for a job in a place with more balanced staff. Sounds like it bothers you that you are a minority. Welcome to how it feels for Blacks/Hispanics/whoever in mainly White schools/areas.

If someone Black wrote your post, people would tell her to get over it and stop complaining.

You know how political schools are being a teacher...you either deal with it as someone who is not the majority or move on. I doubt you can claim discrimination or do anything about it.
"If someone Black wrote your post, people would tell her to get over it and stop complaining."

No they wouldn't, they would be giving the OP their attorneys phone number..

Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 406 times
Default reverse discrimination

As I search for a job, I am hearing in subtle and not-so-subtle ways that I am too white. I accept not getting a job because a more qualified person is hired. If a company does not treat ALL people fairly, then I will find another company to patron or find another means to travel (Airbus and Metra). Whether it's discrimination or "reverse discrimination", the end result is the same... and unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment