Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there experienced reverse discrimination on their job. I am a caucasian female employed in a predominately africian school. I have noticed that teachers who are of other races than africian amer appear to be overlooked for department heads, leadership positions, teaching position changes in my school. Recently, two white females asked for a transfer into a administrative position within the school. Both were highly qualified and either would have been excellent for the job. The position went to a af amer male with a lesser and non-qualifying degree.

I would like to hear about others experience in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Has anyone out there experienced reverse discrimination on their job. I am a caucasian female employed in a predominately africian school. I have noticed that teachers who are of other races than africian amer appear to be overlooked for department heads, leadership positions, teaching position changes in my school. Recently, two white females asked for a transfer into a administrative position within the school. Both were highly qualified and either would have been excellent for the job. The position went to a af amer male with a lesser and non-qualifying degree.

I am a caucasian female who worked at a predominantly hispanic school and saw a similar problem. Working at this school was actually a horrifying experience for anyone who was not hispanic. The principal actually refused to offer any assistance to anyone who was not hispanic. One caucasian teacher at my school actually had the students revolt against her. The principal did nothing about it. The teacher left after three weeks and I know that she must have had decent classroom management because she had taught for several successful years teaching in an inner city.

I also think females tend to be discriminated against in education. It seems like schools will go out of their way to hire a male teacher. I saw one job ad that said they were hiring an elementary teacher but in order to qualify you had to be able to coach boy's basketball. In other words it was a job that females do not qualify for. I have seen male teachers get away with a lot more than females. I saw one male teacher get a little rough with a student and get away with it but at the same school a female teacher was falsely accused of the same thing and was reprimanded.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
You can't change the school climate so look for a job in a place with more balanced staff. Sounds like it bothers you that you are a minority. Welcome to how it feels for Blacks/Hispanics/whoever in mainly White schools/areas.

If someone Black wrote your post, people would tell her to get over it and stop complaining.

You know how political schools are being a teacher...you either deal with it as someone who is not the majority or move on. I doubt you can claim discrimination or do anything about it.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
I think "reverse discrimination" is somewhat of a misleading, and old-fashioned, term. What you are describing might be called racial discrimination, or just plain politics.

Other posters have pointed out, correctly, that this happens everywhere, and in all groups. Where you are, apparently it is being played over color. Somewhere else it might be religion, language group, cultural group, or whatever...

If this job isn't going to work for you, start looking around for a better fit. It's what everyone has to do, in the long run - find what works for you.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post

IMO if I were in that situation I'd start looking for another job in a more balanced area or school immediately. This is a no-win situation that will only cause your frustration and stress and you will obviously never be able to transfer or receive promotions. Yes they are certainly very biased and the sad thing is they can and will get away with it. This is wrong for any race; you have to remember it is not only Whites that can be prejudiced.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Thannks for your responses. I was simply interested in if others had had similar experiences.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
EEOC is a single edged sword. only cuts 1 way.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You can't change the school climate so look for a job in a place with more balanced staff. Sounds like it bothers you that you are a minority. Welcome to how it feels for Blacks/Hispanics/whoever in mainly White schools/areas.

If someone Black wrote your post, people would tell her to get over it and stop complaining.

You know how political schools are being a teacher...you either deal with it as someone who is not the majority or move on. I doubt you can claim discrimination or do anything about it.
Actually what this proves is blacks are as racist as any other group. Therefore maybe separationist feelings are well placed on both sides.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
I think it is safe to say ALL humans are discriminatory. At the end of the day, people prefer to be with people of their own ilk--- whether that ilk is based on religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, etc. Sometimes whites do not see it as keenly because usually it IS the white person who is at the leadership level.

However, it does become apparent when there is a non-white (and someone who does not even try to be nondiscriminatory) person in charge. I worked in a place like that once. There was a department that folks in my department would typically seek promotion jobs. It dawned on me that it seemed like no one other than black male ever received a job. I found this curious since companies usually try to have a balance that is representative of the skill in a particular region (i.e. if plumbers are typically 75% white and 25% black-- then your workforce should be similar. The outcome should be similar if the skill is reversed 75% black and 25% white- in this case you should NOT have 75% white plumbers).

We had a company wide meeting and in order to get to a viewing area I went into this department to view at their television screen. I noticed immediately all of the managers were black, and all (about 30) of the employees were black with the exception of 1 white male.

At first, I was dismayed realizing that I would NEVER get a job in this group (I had two things against me 1. white 2. female) and I was slightly miffed. But-- at the same hand I realized well it is not like this has not happened to other minorities consistently. So I just made the decision to leave the company. I figured I would not personally wait around for the seeds of change and I would just move on to another position/ company, etc

Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I think it is safe to say ALL humans are discriminatory. At the end of the day, people prefer to be with people of their own ilk--- whether that ilk is based on religion, gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, etc. Sometimes whites do not see it as keenly because usually it IS the white person who is at the leadership level.

However, it does become apparent when there is a non-white (and someone who does not even try to be nondiscriminatory) person in charge. I worked in a place like that once. There was a department that folks in my department would typically seek promotion jobs. It dawned on me that it seemed like no one other than black male ever received a job. I found this curious since companies usually try to have a balance that is representative of the skill in a particular region (i.e. if plumbers are typically 75% white and 25% black-- then your workforce should be similar. The outcome should be similar if the skill is reversed 75% black and 25% white- in this case you should NOT have 75% white plumbers).

We had a company wide meeting and in order to get to a viewing area I went into this department to view at their television screen. I noticed immediately all of the managers were black, and all (about 30) of the employees were black with the exception of 1 white male.

At first, I was dismayed realizing that I would NEVER get a job in this group (I had two things against me 1. white 2. female) and I was slightly miffed. But-- at the same hand I realized well it is not like this has not happened to other minorities consistently. So I just made the decision to leave the company. I figured I would not personally wait around for the seeds of change and I would just move on to another position/ company, etc
The problem is this however. There are *Federal* laws in place to ensure "protected classes" (read that minorities) get Affirmative Action on these things. However there is no equivalent for whites.

When was the last time the EEOC helped someone in your position? (Though I suppose being female, you actually do fall under their umbrella. But let's say you were a white *male*...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment