Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 AM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times

Advertisements

I am getting everything together to start looking for a job after being a stay at home mom for 7+ years

Anyway, I have a few questions regarding references. First off, when filling out an application, since noone is still with the companies that I actually worked with them, do I put the company and position we worked together with or their current company/position?

Also, is it better to have all three of your references your former supervisors or is it OK to have people that you have worked directly with?

last, my most recent job was a part time job as a caregiver for an elderly woman. I would like to use her daugher's name as one of my references since she really did "manage" me. Is that OK do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Yea update the references new company name and titles. I usually put 1 supervisor, 2 colleagues, etc. No friends.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
Ok, that is what I thought. Current titles and company, correct?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:29 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
yes, also contact those people and let them know that people may be calling them for references. Or you may get letters of reference from them which would save some time.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 PM

306 posts, read 758,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I am getting everything together to start looking for a job after being a stay at home mom for 7+ years

Anyway, I have a few questions regarding references. First off, when filling out an application, since noone is still with the companies that I actually worked with them, do I put the company and position we worked together with or their current company/position?

Also, is it better to have all three of your references your former supervisors or is it OK to have people that you have worked directly with?

last, my most recent job was a part time job as a caregiver for an elderly woman. I would like to use her daugher's name as one of my references since she really did "manage" me. Is that OK do you think?
If you've been a stay at home for 7 years, consider yourself LUCKY if you actually have current contact information for places you worked way back when - most of us out here can't even get that far. Most of us who have been homemakers found that every place we worked way back when, is no longer there. And the people can't be found.

So good for you. You're less screwed than the rest of us.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I never provide my references current employer's names. They are not speaking on behalf of their current employer. Their current employer is not endorsing me. I just give their name, their title and their preferred contact information (I ask my references how they would prefer to be contacted, and let them provide their chosen phone number and/or email address). It has never been an issue for me to not provide their current employer's name.

It is fine to list a direct supervisor or colleague. They don't all have to be owners or high-level managers or owners.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
If you've been a stay at home for 7 years, consider yourself LUCKY if you actually have current contact information for places you worked way back when - most of us out here can't even get that far. Most of us who have been homemakers found that every place we worked way back when, is no longer there. And the people can't be found.

So good for you. You're less screwed than the rest of us.
You can still name old supervisors, even if no longer there, it shows you have nothing to hide.

If you were a stay-at-home mom and volunteered at your kids school or PTO you should mention that and any co-volunteers or head of school. They can act as character references. It shows your commitment and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search