Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well... I worked at a certain orange big box home improvement store for a few years as a department Supervisor so I've got lots and lots and lots of stories. Try dealing with angry contractors and even angrier customers... We had a contractor come in and order $75,000 worth of Andersen wood windows for a house they were building. When those came in, the customer came in and said they didn't like the color (they were wood...and could be painted/stained....) so they refused them. Turns out, they found a better price and didn't bother telling us so we could cancel. Then, they tried to come back and buy their windows back at at discounted rate. Luckily, I was called by my employee and came in to confront them and deny the sale.

I've had hot chocolate thrown at me, I've had customers threaten to sue me, I even had to have a manager call the cops on someone who was threatening to shoot me in the parking lot because his doors didn't come in on time. I've had people yell and scream because THEY didn't know how to measure or measured incorrectly and apparently it was my fault.

I hated that place.
Dontcha just looove the "Its not the way I wanted it, so its all your fault ones?"
Btw,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well... I worked at a certain orange big box home improvement store for a few years as a department Supervisor so I've got lots and lots and lots of stories. Try dealing with angry contractors and even angrier customers... We had a contractor come in and order $75,000 worth of Andersen wood windows for a house they were building. When those came in, the customer came in and said they didn't like the color (they were wood...and could be painted/stained....) so they refused them. Turns out, they found a better price and didn't bother telling us so we could cancel. Then, they tried to come back and buy their windows back at at discounted rate. Luckily, I was called by my employee and came in to confront them and deny the sale.

I've had hot chocolate thrown at me, I've had customers threaten to sue me, I even had to have a manager call the cops on someone who was threatening to shoot me in the parking lot because his doors didn't come in on time. I've had people yell and scream because THEY didn't know how to measure or measured incorrectly and apparently it was my fault.

I hated that place.
Dontcha just looove the "Its not the way I wanted it, so its all your fault ones?"
Btw, you're a better person than I. If someone had thrown hot chocolate at me it would've been on like Donkey Kong, and I would be unemployed. Reps to you my friend.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Yes. Its a requirement for me to do so immediately as they enter my line...smile included.
As my Ass. Store Manager once told me "We're all actors here. Whatever's going on in our lives, as soon as we clock in we've got to make it look like we really care. That is part of your job, and you'll be held accountable if you dont."
I do my job, and still get buttheads on a daily basis.
I've had my share of those. Best of luck in getting into something you'll really enjoy.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:26 PM

110 posts, read 174,765 times
i work in what my company likes to call 'retail banking'...and let me tell you, in this economy it is nooooo picinic. everyday i go to work a customer wants to argue an overdraft fee with me....going into story after story, excuse after excuse....don't get me wrong, i know times are tough and once in awhile maybe its not entirely their fault but if you're gonna come in and complain to me about fees and then when i pull up your account there are completely unneccessary charges (ie shopping, kfc, shopping, burger king, shopping, mcdonalds....) i don't really have any sympathy for you so you can argue all you want...then they threaten to close their acct because we won't refund their fees... we had one guy who called the 800# and was transferred to the store so it was like a 3-way call and he started screaming at a teller (you could hear him from across the bank) calling her all kinds of nasty names so the customer serv guy on the phone told him he "can't talk to our employees like that, i'm closing all of your accounts and i'll be mailing you a check" and that was the end of that. oh i could go on and on and on but i'm not andy rooney so i'll stop here....for now....

Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Btw, you're a better person than I. If someone had thrown hot chocolate at me it would've been on like Donkey Kong, and I would be unemployed. Reps to you my friend.
I think I was too in shock to do anything about it. It was so ridiculously unexpected, especially considering she did it just because we ran out of something and our trucks weren't due until the next morning.

I did most of the special orders for doors and windows, and for the most part (depending on style and type) they come in 1/8" increments, which can be screwed up pretty easily. After a while, I started making customers initial each and every measurement and they STILL returned special orders because of something *I* did....

Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 PM

302 posts, read 885,449 times
A women was trying to return a shirt that was not on her receipt. She was extremely agitated as I tried to figure out what had happened (no barcode on the shirt, so the other cashier had rung up another similar shirt, same price, to get her through because the line was long). I had only been there a week or two, so I was new to figuring out how things were done in cases like that.

This whole time, she was saying "why is this taking so long? Can't you see that I purchased the shirt? Look, it's RIGHT THERE!!!!", not realizing the shirt on the receipt was actually not the correct barcode. I tried to tell her what I thought had happened. As I was calling over the guy that checked her out to see what had really happened, she proceeded to say "What kind of IDIOT cannot do this kind of job?"
I turned to her and said "Ma'am, you may not speak to me that way. I apologize for the delay, but I am making sure this is done correctly".

She left, and then called the store to complain about me and the other guy. I guess he SHOULD have made her wait an extra 5 minutes while he ran and got another shirt because she brought one up without a tag or barcode, but he tried to do the right thing for the customer (and the 10 in line). Stupid woman.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I became good at spotting shoplifters. I could clock them a mile away...oh the looks I got from THEM.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:55 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoPA View Post
i work in what my company likes to call 'retail banking'...and let me tell you, in this economy it is nooooo picinic. everyday i go to work a customer wants to argue an overdraft fee with me....going into story after story, excuse after excuse....don't get me wrong, i know times are tough and once in awhile maybe its not entirely their fault but if you're gonna come in and complain to me about fees and then when i pull up your account there are completely unneccessary charges (ie shopping, kfc, shopping, burger king, shopping, mcdonalds....) i don't really have any sympathy for you so you can argue all you want...then they threaten to close their acct because we won't refund their fees... we had one guy who called the 800# and was transferred to the store so it was like a 3-way call and he started screaming at a teller (you could hear him from across the bank) calling her all kinds of nasty names so the customer serv guy on the phone told him he "can't talk to our employees like that, i'm closing all of your accounts and i'll be mailing you a check" and that was the end of that. oh i could go on and on and on but i'm not andy rooney so i'll stop here....for now....
I'm a teller myself and it aint no picnic for sure, more like a feast of famine business. I have too many stories to tell about customers. The ones I really hate are the ones who wait until they come to my drive-up window to fill out their slips.

I've also worked at Circuit City and that was pure . My managers were terrible, half of my customers didnt speak english, and the area I was working in was a high-crime area.

I hope my management degree will be enough to kiss the retail world bye-bye.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Those are thogns you can laugh at once ovber . Wait until you really get some responsibilty.Your management degreee will just mean longer more complicated handling of people complains and problems.You'll find dealing with your employeees is more problems than the public while your the one that has to be responsible for the bottom line or your out.You wish for the simpler days of goofy customers.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm a teller myself and it aint no picnic for sure, more like a feast of famine business. I have too many stories to tell about customers. The ones I really hate are the ones who wait until they come to my drive-up window to fill out their slips.

I've also worked at Circuit City and that was pure . My managers were terrible, half of my customers didnt speak english, and the area I was working in was a high-crime area.

I hope my management degree will be enough to kiss the retail world bye-bye.
Ditto. No more retail by the time Im 30. *Crosses fingers*

Anybody ever witness a co-worker really go off on some customer?? I havent seen it yet..but Im waiting on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment