Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM

267 posts, read 1,175,767 times

Advertisements

Basically, the agreement was signed within the provided 7 days. Sent it back along with a note stating that the final pay I received was not the amount mentioned in the agreement. So a response comes back with an amended agreement, where the only change is the amount mentioned. It has been changed to the (lesser) amount I received.
  • Is this even legally right to do?
  • Does the agreement previously signed & sent still hold?
  • Or does the new one nullify the signed one?
  • What's worse, the new agreement still has the old date on it (basically they printed it again after changing just one amount)!
  • What are my options here?
The way I see it, a signed agreement should hold and this newer one can just be ignored. Thinking of just telling the company that the original signed agreement should hold.
  • But again, concerned if even a polite sentence would constitute as challenging them etc and so nullify the agreement?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 01:26 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
Well...I just signed a severance agreement too and my impression is that those are legally binding. And unless the original agreement gives the company the right to amend later, they are bound to what you signed. I would NOT sign the new one without consulting with a lawyer or someone about it. It sounds like they are trying to ********* over.

Edit: Did they not give you a copy of the agreement you signed, to keep? They should have.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
You can't sign a contract saying you're going to pay someone, and then pay them a lesser amount and try to make them sign a new contract afterward.

If the money is a significant amount, then I agree. Talk to a lawyer.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically if anyone doesn't go along with the agreemnt then its null and viod.You can get a lawyer if you want but unless its for alot of moeny be prepared to pay.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically if anyone doesn't go along with the agreemnt then its null and viod.You can get a lawyer if you want but unless its for alot of moeny be prepared to pay.
Yeah but once it's offered and signed, I don't think anything can make it null and void unless it is specifically stated in the contract that the employer is allowed to do so at their discretion.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if its alota money you have a legal argument if the issue comes up (if you leave) do not sign subsequent amendments with lesser amounts on them.
see legal counsel if he persists. the fact that he is pushing it is not good a good sign.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Are you a member of a Union, if not, TOO BAD

Old 08-25-2009, 06:49 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
If you didn't keep a signed copy with the original amount, you're probably out of luck.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Well...I just signed a severance agreement too and my impression is that those are legally binding. And unless the original agreement gives the company the right to amend later, they are bound to what you signed. I would NOT sign the new one without consulting with a lawyer or someone about it. It sounds like they are trying to ********* over.

Edit: Did they not give you a copy of the agreement you signed, to keep? They should have.
Well, we made a copy before it was sent back. Not received any from them, which I suppose one should since they have to sign it also.

As I typed this I suddenly realize maybe it's not valid yet coz they haven't signed it yet? ********* over is right! OMG!!! I don't need this now!!!!

And the original one says the signed agreement can be amended to by mutual consent with a written document attached. But now I don't even know if the one sent in is considered an agreement!

Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Could you expand on what you say? This is my confusion- they wrote up the agreement, and I signed it, so how can they not go along with what they drew up in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment