Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to a pink slip party? Is this a valuable place to try to find employment? Has anyone found a job at one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 04:28 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I think that IF you are a master of working the room and networking, you can meet people that might have a job lead for you.

If you are somewhat shy or a wall flower, it's not going to be worth your time.

Don't expect to go there and walk out with a job, rather go and walk out having met 15-20 new people to add to your networking circle that might be able to give you a lead in the coming weeks.

You definiltey need to work the leads you get though. Get home and get those people onto your LinkedIn network, if there is anyone who really seems to know a lot of people and be willing to make introductions, ask him or her to meet you for coffee the following week, and encourange them to bring along a friend or two. The whole point is to widen your circle of friends and acquaintences and stay visable on their radar, regularly letting them know you are still looking for work.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:00 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Wow-- it seems like deja-vu.

Years ago in my areas when the dot com burst occurred (before 9/11) my recruiting firm offered Pink Slip parties.

Our parties were specifically geared to the technology (networking, development, engineering, etc) sector. I am not sure if people ended up really getting jobs out of them, but I know I did make some valuable connections for positions I needed to recruit for in the next year or so.

I agree with annerk-- I think they offer a lot of potential for very confident people and 'go-getters.' I think I am even a little too reserved to make a pink slip party work for me (when it is not my actual job to do so).

Old 09-03-2009, 07:14 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
I know someone who attended a pink slip party here and he said it was interesting because there were some employers/recruiters there meeting people, but mostly unemployed people getting drunk and sharing their stories. However, he did meet a few good people and stayed in contact, and one of them called him about a job opening in his new company. My friend wound up getting the job after interviewing.

Annerk is right in that you have to set realistic expectations and go in, be energetic, work the room a little and make sure you meet/network with as many people in there. Sometimes, these events are there to get everyone who attends a job, but to bring people together and building networks.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I know someone who attended a pink slip party here and he said it was interesting because there were some employers/recruiters there meeting people, but mostly unemployed people getting drunk and sharing their stories. However, he did meet a few good people and stayed in contact, and one of them called him about a job opening in his new company. My friend wound up getting the job after interviewing.

Annerk is right in that you have to set realistic expectations and go in, be energetic, work the room a little and make sure you meet/network with as many people in there. Sometimes, these events are there to get everyone who attends a job, but to bring people together and building networks.
I think it would help to have more people to add to my network.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Pink Slip Party cost a $10 fee to get in here in Philly which is why I never went anywhere near them.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:55 PM

They usually do have a small cost, but include light refreshments.

Do you think rental space is free?

And the cost can be written off on your taxes as job search expenses.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,990 times
Hello all. I organize Pink Slip Parties in and around Philadelphia. You all have the right idea - these events are to build your network and make the right contacts to lead you to your next job. You definitely want to come with an open mind and expect to be very social. We charge $10 to cover the food that we provide. We do not make any money from these events at all. We have been around for over 10 years helping jobseekers and hiring companies connect...and we simply are doing these events as a goodwill gesture and to help everyone in this harsh economy. I hope you will try one!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:13 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa_e72 View Post
Hello all. I organize Pink Slip Parties in and around Philadelphia. You all have the right idea - these events are to build your network and make the right contacts to lead you to your next job. You definitely want to come with an open mind and expect to be very social. We charge $10 to cover the food that we provide. We do not make any money from these events at all. We have been around for over 10 years helping jobseekers and hiring companies connect...and we simply are doing these events as a goodwill gesture and to help everyone in this harsh economy. I hope you will try one!

I would think a unemployed person can put that $10 money toward food

Old 09-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I would think a unemployed person can put that $10 money toward food
There is food served, it's just not Fruit Loops.

And not everyone on unemployment is worried about spending $10 when it could lead to a job and is tax deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment