Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's why I used to hate rejection before a interview. I just never saw the point because they never met me and could have just ignored my application. Couldn't believe someone would spend time sending a rejecting letter to someone who only submitted a resume.
Exactly. Why do I NEED to know they hired someone else when I didn't even get an interview? Was I on the 'possible' pile but because they got 1000 people who were a bit more 'whatever?' they figured they would cover their bases?

Seriously with all the nonsense in my life lately, I forgot about this job. I forgot about half the jobs I applied for...

I keep having this fantasy that one day I get a bunch of calls from all the resumes I sent out in 2 years and can pick and choose from about 10 job offers.

Yeah, I know, a girl can dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 03:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Exactly. Why do I NEED to know they hired someone else when I didn't even get an interview? Was I on the 'possible' pile but because they got 1000 people who were a bit more 'whatever?' they figured they would cover their bases?

Seriously with all the nonsense in my life lately, I forgot about this job. I forgot about half the jobs I applied for...

I keep having this fantasy that one day I get a bunch of calls from all the resumes I sent out in 2 years and can pick and choose from about 10 job offers.

I know you tend to forget after about 2 or 3 weeks and then all of a sudden this stupid a$$ rejection letter appears in your mail box and you are like-"when did I apply here?-lol I only kept track of the jobs I apply to when I emailed a company directly. Anything I applied to on Careerbuilder I always seemed to forget

Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times
Default It is okay to have fantasies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Because of all the unemployed people in this country, it is going to be competitive in the labor market. It is now a Saturday night in Los Angeles past 11:30PM and I am still looking for work online, changing the key word searches, considering every option that I can and just staying motivated. I should be sleeping now but I'd rather show some work ethic and be motivated.

If this makes you feel any better, let me tell you that I think it is FINE and acceptable to dream. I do that too and I'm a man. Dreaming should reduce stress I think. We will all get through these tough times. You have my support

Old 09-06-2009, 07:01 AM

496 posts, read 941,062 times
OP, I'm just saying you can only do what you can do - I'm not assuming your method is wrong. But what you *can* do is examine what you're doing and see if there's something else to be done.

I work as a consultant but wanted to get back to work full time and all of a sudden everything came together and I have like 60 hrs per week of work. And had to turn down another good position last week. So I do think, Gypsy... well, I bet... that's what will happen. All of a sudden the offers will start rolling in and you'll be hardpressed to pick just one.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:47 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,949 times
Agreed with the others, it took me a while to find a new position. I know several people who remain out of work with 6-10 years of experience on top of their master's degrees in professional fields that traditionally NEVER lacked openings.

Good luck and stay strong. Hugs.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Because of all the unemployed people in this country, it is going to be competitive in the labor market. It is now a Saturday night in Los Angeles past 11:30PM and I am still looking for work online, changing the key word searches, considering every option that I can and just staying motivated. I should be sleeping now but I'd rather show some work ethic and be motivated.

If this makes you feel any better, let me tell you that I think it is FINE and acceptable to dream. I do that too and I'm a man. Dreaming should reduce stress I think. We will all get through these tough times. You have my support

And what you did on a Saturday night is fine. Nothing wrong with it all because it shows you are serious about getting a job. And Like I said yesterday, when you have no job there is no such thing as a day off. You work everyday toward finding a job not take a break because it's saturday night. The Weekends are for people who have jobs and I would tell myself that all the time.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times
Well, I got an email from one of the jobs I applied to and they want to ask me some questions and we will see where it goes from there. I'm still going to keep looking because you want to look everywhere. It is a numbers game.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeo View Post
The black hole seems strong for me. I've been applying for positions since January, before graduating with my bachelors.

I have occasionally heard that I was not chosen with no explanation other than other applicants were better suited, but the last few months not even that. Never a overqualified or overqualified. I have two years good work experience and an internship currently listed. I'm fairy sure my resume is solid and I've updated it with several revisions already. I have had only two interview requests out of hundreds of applications...

Could it be something I'm doing wrong or my resume giving off a wrong vibe? Should I be more aggressive and actively trying to reach the employer and ask about my application? (almost all are done online and finding any HR email or phone number is hard)

The help is much appreciated!
I feel the same way...like I'm stuck in this black hole and can't get out. I am an undergraduate junior (Information Technology major) at a university and am applying for internships for the summer of 2010. So far, I have only recieved one interview from a local company at the end of March and have not heard from them since. I sent a thank you letter two days after the interview. They informed me that they will contact me two weeks after the interview or mid to late April at the latest. Should I send them a follow-up email? I've also applied to many companies of various nature: nothing so far.

I meet some, most, or all of the requirements for the IT, Web Designer/Developer intern positions, so why no calls or email replies? From college career fairs to Craigslist posts, I have applied and sent my resume via email to at least 20 different companies. It's really discouraging when you have this feeling that you're not going to get a summer internship, based on recent events. I'm very stressed out about this even starting to question my faith in a religion I believe in at this point. Finding jobs is always hard for me, but it works out in the end. I hope that this will be the case this summer. I'm trying to stay positive, but it's difficult to stay positive when the odds seem to be against me.

My parents think that I'm stressing too much over this, but they don't understand that internships can help you get your foot in the door and that some companies WON'T look at you if you don't have an internship. By the time I graduate, I will be $50,000 (USD) or so in debt from loans. I want to pay it off ASAP and move on with my life (possibly join the Peace Corps and help people). I don't want to end up like many people I know who are severely stuggling financially. I don't want to waste 4 years of my life going to school if it doesn't pay off in the end.

Am I doing something wrong on my resume, cover letter? How can I stay positive when everyone else around me are getting internships except for me? I'm sick of having negative feelings about this whole ordeal!

I feel a lot better now just expressing my ultimate worries, deep concerns, and personal feelings.

Last edited by stressedCollegeGirl89; 04-14-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Well, I got an email from one of the jobs I applied to and they want to ask me some questions and we will see where it goes from there. I'm still going to keep looking because you want to look everywhere. It is a numbers game.
I hope that you do get the job! That would be wonderful. Great luck!

Let us know how things turn out!

-stressedCollegeGirl89
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment