Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:12 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times

Advertisements

I've never had a paid job. Some people I know with paid jobs look down upon me for this. However, I have done a lot of volunteer work. Why do people think volunteer work isn't real work?

Last edited by city_data91; 09-06-2009 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:26 PM

54 posts, read 208,888 times
Nothing wrong with volunteer work, but at some point you'll have bills to pay and will have to break free of whatever teat you're attached to right now.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:14 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
People just want proof that you can hold your own. If its another employer that wont hire you because you haven't had a previous job, then maybe you can offer a very descriptive resume describing exactly what all you did at those volunteer jobs. If you don't make it obvious that you can be responsible, they will just look through you.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I've never had a paid job. Some people I know with paid jobs look down upon me for this. However, I have done a lot of volunteer work. Why do people think volunteer work isn't real work?

Could it be, they don't think that, and that you think they think that?

Should a person, once out of college, continue to volunteer?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,316 times
Default unpaid work

There is an international movement to get governments to notice the exact type of contribution you m ention- volunteer work. Care of children, the sick, handicapped, elderly and dying is also in the category of work unrecognized by traditional economics and ignoring it skews the accuracy of government stats. The movement has several parts. One is to count this work as was recommended in 1997 at the UN during the Platform for Action legislation all member nations signed. The second is to include this labor for its value, in the GDP. The next move is to figure out a way to empower those who do this work. Some are suggesting a living wage or citizen's income so that everybody got a basic subsistence allowance, recognizing the unpaid worker and letting the paid worker earn more than that and on top of that. Another move however is not the universal basic income, which admittedly would go to the lazy who don't help anyone as well as the hardworking unpaid, but a credit based system. A person could get some sort of income based on the amount of unpaid work they do. The unpaid work itself would be deemed a credit into the national economy and volunteer work, care of kids, care of the elderly etc. would qualify a person for this income.

The reason the discussion is happening is this- when traditional economics forces all people out of the home to do paid work, because that's the only work it values, the other roles they play get ignored. There is a lack of volunteers to drive cancer patients to appointments, read to the blind, coach little league or clean up rivers. The government is also noticing that the roles back home were in fact not lazy. Someone still has to take care of kids or the sick or dying. If government has to hire someone to do this, as a way to enable someone to get a paid job, the bill is over the moon expensive. GOvernments are realizing is it cheaper to value the work at home and to fund' the child' or the 'elderly 'person who needs care and to let that person assign a caregiver.

All over the world governments are noticing that ignoring the unpaid sector has been a mistake. We are working on fixing that. It actually ties in very well with the 3rd wave of women's rightsl These websites do not have www.
workisee.tripod.com
worldkidquilt.tripod.com
vuthruotherseyes.tripod.com

Old 09-07-2009, 10:55 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,467,383 times
I realize I will have bills to pay someday and I will need a paid job. That is why I am going to college.

I tried to get a job about 18 months ago. I don't know what the problem was...my lack of paid experience or the limited hours I could work (I was in high school plus I played a sport). Maybe both of those were the problem. It's a vicious cycle: can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job. I thought it was ironic that they didn't hire me because it was clear from the interview that I was smarter than the 28 year old interviewing me. I was only 16 at the time. By the time I am 28, I will be more successful than her (an assistant manager at Taco Bell). Sometimes I think jobs like Taco Bell prefer less intelligent people because they realize the smart people will leave for a better job after they go to college.

But it's not just employers. People in general seem to think it's a bad thing to work without getting paid.

Once you're out of college, your main priority should be a paid job. But if a college graduate wants to do volunteer work on weekends, there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:44 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Volunteering is great for experience. You have to realize, though, a lot of people think it's stupid. They feel you should NOT give back yet rather, take, from society.

I know people who react the same when I mention volunteering. However, in this bad economy, many people NEED to do something while looking for work. I currently volunteer w/my husband by running a support group. I am also thinking of volunteering at a local museum. Do I need $$$. Heck, sure. But until I get a job, I need something else to do and I like getting out and meeting people.

You can make a lot of connections volunteering.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:54 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'm going to go with "Because you're not evaluated as a volunteer."

Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I thought it was ironic that they didn't hire me because it was clear from the interview that I was smarter than the 28 year old interviewing me. I was only 16 at the time. By the time I am 28, I will be more successful than her (an assistant manager at Taco Bell). Sometimes I think jobs like Taco Bell prefer less intelligent people because they realize the smart people will leave for a better job after they go to college.
Couldn't have been your attitude.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM

200 posts, read 600,370 times
I would look to your college as a resource to finding a job. You could possibly find a job working at your school. If there's a career center or something similar available, you should take advantage of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment