Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times

Advertisements

I can relate to her frustration. I've applied at over 60 jobs and about 50 something of those have been on on-line jobsites and haven't gotten many call backs on them. I hate to say it, but it's almost as if they are mostly "fake" jobs being listed.

I've been unemployed for 3 months now, and I'm getting scared, mad and frustrated - altho all this would be a whole lot easier to deal with if I had my UI coming in, and I'm still waiting on my decision on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 06:15 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
I completely understand the frustration. It also takes me longer than 5 minutes to update my resume and cover letter for each position. Sometimes, I'll even get excited b/c I have EXACTLY the skill set/experience/etc that the employer is looking for. Then to find out that a job doesn't even exist? Yeah, definitely a bummer. But keep trying, and vent here when you need to. I hope all of you find jobs soon.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Annerk........you REALLY need to look at some of the last responses in this Thread!! Frustration, anger, annoyed are EXACTLY what some of the OP's on this Forum are talking about. And, there are a LOT of OP's on this forum who are UNEMPLOYED no matter what this forum is called! I really agreed with you on how to look when going to an interview, BUT at the same time, even THAT look doesn't guarantee a job!! A lot of unemployed people on this forum dress up very nice for an interview only to NEVER hear from the company again after the interview!! A lot of them have ALL of the qualifications and education/Degree/Certificates that an employer is asking for.........and STILL don't get a second interview OR even a call period!!
YOU have nothing to "rant and rave" about.........YOU are employed and getting a pay check! Us unemployed definitely do have THE RIGHT to "rant and rave" because of what some of these stupid websites, agencies, companies are doing to us while we are all trying to survive and get a job.
Annerk: Quit being so much "for" these websites/agencies/companies and see what we, the unemployed, are going thru!! Thank You!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times
Please...looking for work is a full time job, especially if you apply for federal jobs, each application takes hours to do, with KSA's and all that.

Look at it this way, the more practice you get at doing applications and resumes, the more polished your final product will be. I know it is hard though to stay motivated when you need a job.

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Whatever!
It just isn't fair to all of us unemployed people to apply for a job that is no longer available or "on hold" (which means technically it ISN'T available). No one can tell me that a company doesn't have the money to place another ad.......come on!!
Actually, we are back at the same old thing again........people who ARE employed/don't have to look for a job and the ones who are NOT employed/are looking for jobs! You employed people MUST give us folks a break!! Showing on a website a job is still available that is NOT is ridiculous! If you want to collect resume's, DO IT some other way!! It's very decieving to show a job is available and it is NOT!! People have to go to job websites for jobs because they are pretty much the only way today to find a job......a good paying one anyway. And, then when this happens. There are people out there getting PAID to take things off of websites AND not in 2 weeks.......right then or very shortly! If they don't do it, give me that job and I'll be glad to earn that money!!!
The Internet/websites are suppose to HELP the unemployed, not make it harder for them!! Again........Gshhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Snapping out and Ranting is not going to change anything. That's what employers do and it's nothing you can do about it. I started a thread earlier this week explaining that posted jobs on websites doesn't mean the job is really available. It just means they are collecting resumes for the future if the position was to become open.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I completely understand the frustration. It also takes me longer than 5 minutes to update my resume and cover letter for each position. Sometimes, I'll even get excited b/c I have EXACTLY the skill set/experience/etc that the employer is looking for. Then to find out that a job doesn't even exist? Yeah, definitely a bummer. But keep trying, and vent here when you need to. I hope all of you find jobs soon.

So what if it doesnt exist? Apply anyway so you will be called if someone was to

Get Fired
Resign
Promoted

Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
While it does matter how you dress for an interview, what your resume looks like and how you present yourself at said interview - in the end, you are competing against up to 20-50 people being interviewed for that ONE position.

It's not the "best dressed" wins, it's like winning the lottery and that ONE person out of all being chosen for the job. Mostly it comes down to if you "click" with the interviewer and they like you - since I don't think qualifications really matter too much - JMO.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Annerk........you REALLY need to look at some of the last responses in this Thread!! Frustration, anger, annoyed are EXACTLY what some of the OP's on this Forum are talking about. And, there are a LOT of OP's on this forum who are UNEMPLOYED no matter what this forum is called! I really agreed with you on how to look when going to an interview, BUT at the same time, even THAT look doesn't guarantee a job!! A lot of unemployed people on this forum dress up very nice for an interview only to NEVER hear from the company again after the interview!! A lot of them have ALL of the qualifications and education/Degree/Certificates that an employer is asking for.........and STILL don't get a second interview OR even a call period!!
YOU have nothing to "rant and rave" about.........YOU are employed and getting a pay check! Us unemployed definitely do have THE RIGHT to "rant and rave" because of what some of these stupid websites, agencies, companies are doing to us while we are all trying to survive and get a job.
Annerk: Quit being so much "for" these websites/agencies/companies and see what we, the unemployed, are going thru!! Thank You!
Reality check time. Did you ever think that the grudge you obviously have against employers and the chip on your shoulder the size of Russia might be part of your problem? If it screams through as strongly in interviews as it does on this forum, well dude, you're hosed.

You have limited skills and a history of physical problems, yet you will only accept the perfect job. No nights, evenings, weekends. No retail, no this, no that. Wake up and smell the coffee, at this point you should be taking anything you can get. The longer that gap of unemployment is on your resume, the lower your chances of ever being employed again.

I have given you several leads on jobs, you weren't interested in any of them because you didn't like the hours, etc. Sorry pal, pity party is over. You aren't too good to push a broom or work security. None of us are. And if I had been out of work as long as you have, I'd be taking anything that came along.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
While it does matter how you dress for an interview, what your resume looks like and how you present yourself at said interview - in the end, you are competing against up to 20-50 people being interviewed for that ONE position.
I never understood why a company wasted their time interviewing that many people for one job. If the recruiter/hiring manager can't narrow it to 3-5 applicants to interview based on the resume and cover letter, they shouldn't be doing that job.

Quote:
It's not the "best dressed" wins, it's like winning the lottery and that ONE person out of all being chosen for the job. Mostly it comes down to if you "click" with the interviewer and they like you - since I don't think qualifications really matter too much - JMO.
I think it's the entire package that counts. The skill set, experience, personality, having the right look for that company, clicking with the interviewer. It's the whole package rolled into one.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:03 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
This past Sunday, found two jobs on a job website and sent my resume' in for both of them. I decided to call the Agency today and see what the situation was on both jobs and see if they REALLY got my resume. I was told that the one job had already been filled.........so why in the "H" was the job still on the website??? When I asked why the job was still on the website, I was told "because it hadn't expired it's time yet"......whatever that is suppose to mean! Then I asked about the other job and was told "Our agency doesn't really handle that type of position, but since we do handle other jobs for this company, we said ok, but then they put the job on hold. We are talking to them today to see what they want to do."
Geshhhhhhhhhhhhhh........jobs on websites that aren't even available anymore and I have no way to know that!!
To Employers/Agencies: If the *#%$** job is filled, take the thing OFF of your website!! If the job is on HOLD, again, DON'T leave the job posting on the website like it is available!! Talk about pi**ing me off!! No wonder so many of us are getting upset!!!!!
Yeah, it sucks. It might be a good idea to go into these situations and realize a lot of HR people pull tricks. It's not uncommon that you encountered these situations. Just try not to get too discouraged and chalk it up to what HR types do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment