Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Large corporations usually have policies to ensure the most qualified applicant is hired. I helped my sister get a job at my company. It's a huge corporation. One of the largest employers in my region. She went through the interview process like everyone else. When the hiring manager decided that he wanted her, he had to prove she was the best candidate and seek special permission to hire her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM

79 posts, read 204,916 times
Both are always going to exist in one form or another; it's going to be more blatant in privately-held companies or in small businesses. Many of the large companies I have worked in tend to discourage the hiring of close relatives, and if they are hired, the company must be able to prove that the person was the most qualified for the job. Of course, there are ways around that, too...just give the relative an easier interview, etc.

I'm in a position where I can't hire relatives. I wouldn't mind doing so, but have a serious ethical issue with people who repeatedly hire only relatives/friends and/or relatives of employees already working at a company. This tends to create a clannish atmosphere, and also tends to create a group of people who think too similarly...not good for creativity. It also tends to decrease organizational diversity, which is just unethical and also a potential legal issue.

I do tend to like some personality types better than others (I'm still human) but try hard to make sure that this doesn't show at work. I've worked for managers/supervisors in the past who showed favortism, and absolutely despised it (even when I was the favorite) so try not to be seen as a manager who has "pets". I am not impressed with someone who is trying to curry my favor by trying to be a "yes" person; I am impressed by someone who shows initiative, ambition, and a desire to learn additional tasks. Those 3 traits are likely to impress me into considering a promotion or raise for you should the opportunity arise--it really has nothing to do with whether on not I personally like you. As long as you haven't done anything like lie to me, do something to make me lose trust in you,etc.

One of the parts of my job is to make sure that the companies I've worked for are following fair hiring practices and I've had to say "no" to some nepotism/cronyism that I've seen going on. It's p*ssed off some of the hiring managers, but fair is fair.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I don't think it's OK. It's just a fact of life. It happens.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,109 times
It's all about class, and yes it's profoundly unfair. Western capitalism remain steeped in obfuscated class divides. Merit alone ought to determine employability; not class; who you know and who your parents are.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
What is wrong with hiring within your social/family circle? Especially if it is a family owned business? Now, for governmental jobs, then the criteria should be above all hint of favoritism, because, quite honestly you and I as taxpayers are paying their salary. But if a privately owned business wants to hire friends and family and they are the ones who sign the paychecks or have to answer to the owners.... what is the big deal?
That being the case, a family business might as well only hire friends and family. There's no point in hiring outside the circle if they don't have the professionalism to hide their preferences and be objective with all employees. Human nature being what it is, favoritism exists no matter what. We can't escape it. The problem comes when you hire others who get the short end of the stick because management favors their own and makes no effort to even hide it. That's no way to run a thriving business unless, again, you only hire family. And even then, mixing business and personal isn't necessarily a good idea either. A bad business decision or deal has ripped apart families and friends, I've seen it for myself.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Nepotism, OK if they are relatives of the person who owns the company. Really, you can't blame them for wanting to keep the money in the family. If they are that stupid that they let their company go down the tubes for hiring incompetent relatives, Oh well - payback: they go out of business.

Favoritism - HATE this. A bunch of former co-workers and I were victims of this. The people in charge kept hiring people from where they used to work before. Pretty soon, we were all out the doors and their friends kept their jobs though. None of these people were any more qualified than we were either. Really, it was like re-living highschool clicques ALL over again... ridiculous.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
i would probably like it if i was related/friends to someone that could help ..but i'm not..and not knowing someone hurts me over the fact that i'm qualified ...so i hate it.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:49 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
No I don't agree with it but in real life people help those that they know.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I hate it, I think it's unfair. I worked a job for THREE years and was passed over TWICE. One guy who got hired was buddies with the supervisor, the other was a pretty face with zero experience who was friends with the director.

I on the other hand, worked my ass off to get where I am and even then it's still a struggle, I swear I don't understand it.

BTW anyone can tell someone what to put on their application to get a higher score, what to say at the interview, etc. Doesn't mean they are the most qualified, when I see interns beat out a person with over 10 years of experience I have to wonder.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Family owned and operated businesses can do as they wish. Especially small family businesses. I'd actually encourage small business to hire family. No one else would put up with all the BS.

But when someone uses their position without approval from above, going against what is best for the company (especially for gov't), to hire friends/family more on relation than skill, then its awful. I'd most certainly rat them out to their boss.

We've all see it or know someone hired that way. I know someone who got their foot in the gov't door by getting preferential treatment by a sibling, but knowing the person, he is more than qualified for the job, although who knows if there wasn't someone better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment