Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times

Advertisements

A classic office problem. Ugh. The thermostat happens to be right next to the overweight post-menopausal woman who keeps it as low as it goes which is around 60. The thermostat isn't terribly accurate so that ends up being more like 65, but that's too cold for me and half the office keeps space heaters going year round because of this issue. I, unfortunately, am not allowed to have a space heater in my workspace. I try to quietly turn the thermostat to 70 (which merely cuts the AC down a notch), but she always spots it within 30 seconds or so.

I hate having to haul a sweater around with me 365 days a year, but the rest of the office has decided they'd rather avoid the confrontation which means my only option is to rant here and shiver through the day because I forgot my sweater today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Office temperature is always a problem because everyone likes it different. We have the "skinny" girls that are always cold, wearing sweaters.

Then we have the "fat" girls that wear flip flops and halter tops that are always hot.

The men never complain. I am good most times, I get more hot than cold.But for the most part I am comfortable.

But the women / girls, ugh, always a draft,either way too cold or way too hot. they are never happy

Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,730 times
You know most thermostats in a large office building don't actually work. The temp is controlled by the engineering office and the thermostat is just there to make you think you have control.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:50 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
This may be a silly question but for those of you who work in offices, what do you keep the tempeture set at in the office? I'm a warmer person so I usually try and keep it on 70 which I though is normal but my co-worker keeps turning it down to between 55-65.
73 year round is my motto.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Office temperature and humidity conditions are generally a matter of human comfort rather than hazards that could cause death or serious physical harm. OSHA cannot cite the General Duty Clause for personal discomfort.
Office Temperature/Humidity
As a general rule, office temperature and humidity are matters of human comfort. OSHA has no regulations specifically addressing temperature and humidity in an office setting. However,Section III, Chapter 2, Subsection V of the OSHA Technical Manual, "Recommendations for the Employer," provides engineering and administrative guidance to prevent or alleviate indoor air quality problems. Air treatment is defined under the engineering recommendations as, "the removal of air contaminants and/or the control of room temperature and humidity." OSHA recommends temperature control in the range of 68-76° F and humidity control in the range of 20%-60%.

If its actually to 55 - 65, thats below OSHA recommendations, but no legal violation.
I would recommend closing the registers, air vents around your part of the office. That should increase the air flow to the other registers.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I would recommend closing the registers, air vents around your part of the office. That should increase the air flow to the other registers.
It isn't always because someone likes it unreasonably cool/hot. Temperature can vary greatly from the thermostat setting depending on where the air vents are located.

If you find it too cold/hot, close/open the vents near you. If you can't do it yourself, talk to the buildings/office/facilities management people. Sometimes it's a vent that was left open/close and they forgot about it.

I work in large open concept offices. We often have to ask maintenance to open/adjust the vents. I even have an incident with one side of our office getting uncomfortably cold despite adjusting the thermostat way up. Turns out the heat sensor was located near a computer's heat fan was, so the A/C was overcompensating. Once we moved the computer, the thermostat setting was fine.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Let me put it this way... you can always put on a layer or two... you can only take off so much! If I had to pick one or the other, I'd rather be too cold than too hot. 68 degrees feels perfect to me but some offices are set for 74 or more.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Offices around here seem to hover in the 68-73 range, and all of that is too cold for my liking. I wear long pants, long sleeves, closed-toe shoes, etc. to work in summer. I also keep a heavy sweater and a pair of fingerless gloves at my desk and sometimes even that isn't enough...I also have a space heater.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:10 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
You know most thermostats in a large office building don't actually work. The temp is controlled by the engineering office and the thermostat is just there to make you think you have control.
Absolutely correct! Facilities maintenance got tired of everyone adjusting the temp.

Company I worked for moved to a new building; old bldg was great as far as temps, but the new bldg was a nightmare. Our section was freezing while just down the way a bit the temp was comfortable. We complained so much they finally had contractors come out and redo the entire cooling system in our area (the ducts were messed up or something like that); anyway when they were done it was better.

Some say the temp should be on the cool side to keep employees alert; but when it's way too cold one can't concentrate on anything except trying to get warm. And if you sit under one of the vents and have the a/c blowing down the back of your neck it's pure torture!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Where I work is always frigid. I wear long sleeves, sweater, no sandals. I am not complaining though, in Japan right now, due to the loss of 30% of their energy from the earthquake/tsunami, the regulation for office temps this summer is set at 83 degrees. Sure, sounds warm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment