Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:47 AM

13,580 posts, read 15,637,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
What if this becomes the new standard in America?
Of course it's the new standard. What did you think was going to happen in a country with ridiculous immigration policies that have been devaluing labor for decades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,456,406 times
an interesting read

NYT: Millions face years without jobs - The New York Times- msnbc.com

“American business is about maximizing shareholder value,” said Allen Sinai, chief global economist at the research firm Decision Economics. “You basically don’t want workers. You hire less, and you try to find capital equipment to replace them.”

this is great for executives, but sucks for everyone below them.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,704,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
an interesting read

NYT: Millions face years without jobs - The New York Times- msnbc.com

“American business is about maximizing shareholder value,” said Allen Sinai, chief global economist at the research firm Decision Economics. “You basically don’t want workers. You hire less, and you try to find capital equipment to replace them.”

this is great for executives, but sucks for everyone below them.
It sucks for a some people below them: those who don't have the skills to be employable and those who are unwilling to be flexible to relocate to where the jobs are or acquire new jobs skills.

Also, I'm glad corporate executives are maximizing shareholder value. You're a shareholder aren't you? You have a retirement account with mutual funds, right? Big corporations aren't just a bunch of executives. They are you and me. We're the big corporations.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:19 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,705,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Big corporations aren't just a bunch of executives. They are you and me. We're the big corporations.
Absolutely true.

Demand for higher shareholder returns comes from the shareholders. Anyone who owns a stock or mutual fund, even in a retirement account, is a shareholder. It's too easy to make corporate execs the bad guys - truth is, they are representing the shareholders.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:38 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,339,632 times
"I think that there will be more and more entreprenuership, and consortiums of small businesses buying health insurance as a group."

I sure hope this will come to fruition and I feel that this is where the govt health care reform discussion should have started. Small business is the future of employment for millions in this country since the big corporations have sold us out in the name of global economy and cheap foreign labor. Self employment and small business are going to be major sources of employment as necessity.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,653,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"I think that there will be more and more entreprenuership, and consortiums of small businesses buying health insurance as a group."

I sure hope this will come to fruition and I feel that this is where the govt health care reform discussion should have started. Small business is the future of employment for millions in this country since the big corporations have sold us out in the name of global economy and cheap foreign labor. Self employment and small business are going to be major sources of employment as necessity.
Small business is the future --- if and only if they can make it and taxes and regulations make it quite hard -- while the big corporations with their bought out politicians can easily outsource and do whatever they want and in third world countries don't have to deal with regulations.

I myself believe that it would require a smarter voting population. As it is, the American taxpayer including the small American businesses are going to be paying the huge bailouts of the international types like GMC which took a bailout and is building new plants outside the USA right now.

It's the politicians that got the trade deals pushed through and signed, the very deals that got us only the foreign goods but none of the jobs. It's time they start working for the American people again but the bums should be thrown out of office and replaced with those who represent the American people.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,791,143 times
If you looked at the 70's recession you would find that many epople never returned to what they were doing and alot of jobs were elimnated while toher created. Alot of people created their own jobs and became small businesses.That is when small business became the job creators and has grown.One fo my best friends got layed off at a dealer body shop. He bought a fillig station and pumped gas and strated doing auto body work there. Then built a large body shop on the same property. Remodeled the filling station into a conveioence store. Then he built three car washes over the years. He sold all that property built two car washes in better areas;built two large buildings one which he leases and the other which he runs his business out of. He bascially is semi-retired with the lease of the building;two car washes. He will soon retire with his son who has worked for him for years continuing to run the business and pay him a note each month.Reinventing yourself its called and its alot of work. He basiclly worked 12 hours a day for over 30 years.Once his son got old enogh to run teh business he was fianlly able to take some time off without having to return because something went wrong.

Last edited by texdav; 02-21-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 07:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,704,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He basiclly worked 12 hours a day for over 30 years.

Not so sure working 12 hour days for 30 years is a solution.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,339,632 times
But if you are working for yourself - it's not a bad scenario. Myself, I could never figure out anything I really wanted to do. I did always have the dream of owning a laundromat though.... I did look into it, and in this region, I never had enough capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment