Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,810,040 times

Advertisements

I work in a Fortune 100 company and pre employment drug screens are mandatory, as well as annual testing. I know a number of companies that had technician jobs available $25/hr and up that went unfilled because of the lack of people who couldn't pass a drug screen.

I'm for it as the number of 'incidents' in the chemical plants has gone down in the last 15 years as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 04:16 PM

8 posts, read 15,356 times
Smoke & work at home..try UCanwah.com for real work at home.. I just got hired! YEAH

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,649,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I work in a Fortune 100 company and pre employment drug screens are mandatory, as well as annual testing. I know a number of companies that had technician jobs available $25/hr and up that went unfilled because of the lack of people who couldn't pass a drug screen.

I'm for it as the number of 'incidents' in the chemical plants has gone down in the last 15 years as a result.
May I ask what age group you are in? I'd say odds are you are too young to have known the pre-drug testing world as an adult - correct me if I'm wrong. I was in my late 30s before this madness began and I can tell you from experience that the workplace was a far better place back in the days when common sense and trust prevailed and employees were actually supervised. There are far better ways than drug testing to identify problem people.

When people express support for drug testing, I always wonder what their vision is for the future of our society and why they seem to have such little regard for the presumption of of innocence. Is a closely monitored and controlled life where Big Brother has you on the radar 24 hours a day what you really want? Do you really think so little of the importance of integrity and trust? Do you really think a police state is fertile ground for producing the kind of people that will carry our civilization forward?

Drug testing is an ugly, abhorrent concept that has wounded the fabric of our society very deeply and has no place in the lives of free people. Again, I have lived in both worlds. The wise men who wrote our Bill of Rights knew what they were doing.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 AM

615 posts, read 1,689,243 times
I'm all for freedom. A business has a right to drug test its employees and guess what, if a company drug tests and you don't like it, you don't have to work for that company. Freedom goes both ways.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,867,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagegirl View Post
i'm all for freedom. A business has a right to drug test its employees and guess what, if a company drug tests and you don't like it, you don't have to work for that company. Freedom goes both ways.

bingo!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,146,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I'm all for freedom. A business has a right to drug test its employees and guess what, if a company drug tests and you don't like it, you don't have to work for that company. Freedom goes both ways.

An employer does not have the right to monitor what an employee does on his or her own time, whether it's drug or alcohol use, what clubs or organizations one belongs to, what church or other religious organization one is affiliated with, what political party one supports, who one socializes with, etc., etc. They employ you, they don't own you.

It is beyond me how so many people can not only accept this type of invasion of privacy but also defend it. Lemmings to the sea.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,484,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
An employer does not have the right to monitor what an employee does on his or her own time, whether it's drug or alcohol use, what clubs or organizations one belongs to, what church or other religious organization one is affiliated with, what political party one supports, who one socializes with, etc., etc. They employ you, they don't own you.

It is beyond me how so many people can not only accept this type of invasion of privacy but also defend it. Lemmings to the sea.
bingo!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
OK, having established your lack of respect for principle upon which the Bill of Rights was based, how about answering my questions and tell us of your vision for human happiness, fulfillment, and accomplishment in your police state?

And please tell us also where and how one is to earn a living while retaining their right to the presumption of innocence as opportunities without demand for a bodily fluid search dwindle? Today it is most, but suppose all companies drug tested? I mean that is what you're advocating, right? Would you then see drug testing required to get a job as any different than drug testing required of all citizens by the government? Oh..I guess you'd still have the option to starve to death or become a homeless beggar.

And please tell us..what entity do you think has the most influence and control of the lives of most US citizens today? If you guess right, then please tell us why that entity should not be required to abide by Constitutional principle.

And lastly, please tell us why you are under the very misguided assumption that a drug tested workplace is safer or more productive than one where integrity, trust, and individual accountability are the order of the day. I've seen and worked in them both and I know from first hand experience that the latter will win every time.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Tried to rep you again, but it wouldn't let me yet. Thanks for your ongoing wise and thoughtful comments!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,867,031 times
Quote:

When that employee still has evidence of that activity when they report to work, yes they do, especially when that activity is illegal. I suppose you think it's OK for an employee to bring the stolen ipod they lifted out of someone's car to work as well? Either way that person isn't someone I'd want to have working for me. Last I knew, illegal drug users weren't a protected class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment