Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 AM

975 posts, read 1,754,878 times

Advertisements

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Wrong again buckaroo. The median hourly employee wage at this company is $20 an hour with guaranteed overtime and FREE BC/BS health insurance.
$20/hr is a ****ty wage just about anywhere and especially Florida. Even if both spouses make that they're basically living in poverty since you can't buy a house in a decent neighborhood for less than 350K (and even thats pushing it). Add in private school for the kids too unless you want Johnny to grow up stupid.

Just pointing out that $20 is nothing to brag about. I've lived in Florida for 20 years and, imo, anything under 150K/yr you ought to go live somewhere else. In fact, I know someone in Florida whose unemployed and making more than $20/hr.. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 08:03 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do you then disagree with jurisdictions who fire their employees for off duty cigarette/cigar smoking? San Francisco is one such.
The Cleveland Clinic (biggest employer in the NE Ohio area) will not hire anyone who smokes. They also fired all employees who do smoke. There was talk of firing anyone who obese, all in the name of saving money on health care. You wait, it will be coming to your company soon, firing all smokers and obesers!

Old 09-23-2009, 08:49 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
a

$20/hr is a ****ty wage just about anywhere and especially Florida. Even if both spouses make that they're basically living in poverty since you can't buy a house in a decent neighborhood for less than 350K (and even thats pushing it). Add in private school for the kids too unless you want Johnny to grow up stupid.

Just pointing out that $20 is nothing to brag about. I've lived in Florida for 20 years and, imo, anything under 150K/yr you ought to go live somewhere else. In fact, I know someone in Florida whose unemployed and making more than $20/hr.. LOL!
A couple making $80k/yr certainly would be squarely middle class if not on the higher end of middle class in most areas of the country, save for downtown DC or San Francisco. My wife and I have averaged almost half of that and still manage to own a house, 2 cars, and go on vacations, and we've been out of college only 6 years.

It's all relative - my wifes parents lived less than 100 yards from the beach in Cape Canaveral and owned 2500 sq ft home there w/ a pool. Her mother was a school teacher and her father was a ships' agent. Combined income of WELL under $80k/yr.

Can you go out for lunch and dinner every day? No. But $80k/yr is VERY livable in most of the US. Outside Orlando there are condos for <$50k, FL is a very affordable place to live now that real estate has fallen and $20/hr is a good wage especially in FL.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
a

First off, I don't care if you are in NYC, some of the jobs here aren't worth more than $12 an hour. (You really think the kid that puts away parts in the warehouse should be making $40 an hour?)

There are plenty of VERY NICE neighborhoods here in Lake County with newer homes starting in the $120's, and "A" rated schools.

Until you've got a clue what you're talking about, you might want to stop putting your foot in your mouth.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
a

Do you mean that your 'friend' is on unemployment? Because the max in Florida is $275 a week, which equals about $6.88 an hour...far from $20.

And I live in California and both me AND my boyfriend made under 80K and live perfectly fine.... If you require a 4000 sq ft home and 3 brand new cars in the driveway that's fine, but not all of us do and we can make it on less than $20 an hour.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Maybe in Florida $20/hr isnt much (42k/yr) but a lot of places you can get by all right on it...and thats base pay, most crafts get overtime, which moves it closer to 60k...and then there is benefits.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Maybe in Florida $20/hr isnt much (42k/yr) but a lot of places you can get by all right on it...and thats base pay, most crafts get overtime, which moves it closer to 60k...and then there is benefits.
Actually in most of Florida, $20 an hour is more than enough to live a middle class lifestyle on, unless you've got enough kids to field your own baseball team--in which case you've got bigger problems than any amount of money will solve.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:34 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I am not. Unless it has since been rescinded San Francisco implemented the no off duty cigarette policy several years ago. A couple of MD Towns (Takoma Park for one) have discussed it and have the votes to pass it. Clarion, PA passed it last year but dropped it under threat of a law suit.

yeah, they dropped it because it is an illegal act. The federal law prohibits a company from firing a person for partaking of legal activity once off the clock and premises. Just think, next it will be beer or wine - but, not in California as wine is income.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
First off, I don't care if you are in NYC, some of the jobs here aren't worth more than $12 an hour. (You really think the kid that puts away parts in the warehouse should be making $40 an hour?)

There are plenty of VERY NICE neighborhoods here in Lake County with newer homes starting in the $120's, and "A" rated schools.

Until you've got a clue what you're talking about, you might want to stop putting your foot in your mouth.
Sweetie I live here, I know.

120K in Lake County is 3rd world if you ask me but if thats you're definition of nice then fine. I know I wouldn't want to have to raise my kids in that environment though. And I thought this great job was in Orlando? So a person in this job can't even afford to live in Orange Co. which is my point.

Look, 40K is 40K. If thats what a job is worth fine. But to brag about how great it is is dumb. It's a run of the mill job that pays below what it costs to provide a middle class life for your family.

Last edited by Traderx; 09-23-2009 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Do you mean that your 'friend' is on unemployment? Because the max in Florida is $275 a week, which equals about $6.88 an hour...far from $20.

And I live in California and both me AND my boyfriend made under 80K and live perfectly fine.... If you require a 4000 sq ft home and 3 brand new cars in the driveway that's fine, but not all of us do and we can make it on less than $20 an hour.
Wait till you have kids then get back to me. Believe me raising a family, preparing for retirement, etc. takes a lot of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment