Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:02 AM

737 posts, read 2,586,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I suppose that when the government can't force private enterprise to create jobs, the government herself can hire people.
"herself" - please, no gender bashing here! The government is not a ship... well, on second thought, maybe a sinking ship that is taking a damn long time to sink... over 200 years.

No point to this post, just an exception to the "herself".

Done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:48 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
There is another way to get into Fed employment and that's as contractor through many companies who provide contractors for federal government agencies (Booz Allen, Northrop Grumman, for example).
You don't have to be a vet but often you do need to have active clearance of various levels (depending on the job).
That's how I got on, I worked for a Federal Contractor and my skills matched exactly with the position they posted. I'm still waiting to start as it has been a 4 month process. I agree that Vets should have first crack at all federal jobs, they put their lives on the line to protect our freedom and most are qualified to do the work anyways.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Federal jobs are tough to get. You have to meet the requirements exactly. Lots of people apply who don't (and seemingly silly little things can automatically bar you from qualifying, and, often the better jobs are filled from within by lower ranking federal employees, and if not, often by a veteran). About the only way except for a handful of people with very important special skills in short supply to really get in is at a low level job and move up slowly, and if you're in debt from education or something, that can be tough to manage. A friend of mine works for the forest service, took him years of working seasonally before he landed a permanent job and worked his way up to a good pay grade. On the bright side, he loves his work and makes very good money for this area, but the early years were tough and would (and did he's told me in the past) drive many away. He had a pile of debt from getting his degrees (master's in forestry, bachelor in forestry, and an associates in forest technology, all of those and he still took years to get in a real good position).

Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
"herself" - please, no gender bashing here! The government is not a ship... well, on second thought, maybe a sinking ship that is taking a damn long time to sink... over 200 years.

No point to this post, just an exception to the "herself".

Done.
Not gender bashing. I don't know if I would even be capable of that considering I am a woman.

I always think of Lady Liberty, Lady Justice-- and those tend to be symbols for our government and country.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
A lot of these jobs will be filled by government employed contractors. They are phasing out the contractor positions and turning them into GS positions. They will try to rehire the current contractors into the government sector where they can. At least that's what's happening where I'm at right now.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:26 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
I was lucky, I guess -- got hired on my first application to the government, and quite quickly. Didn't know anyone there. Did do an excellent resume and cover letter. W as working down the street from the agency -- that may have played a part (vs. trying to get in from out of town). Had two companies also trying to hire me, and told them that (had to move it along).
Almost all the hiring I see by managers at my agency is people they know (even though the jobs get listed in public databases)-- often, from a past job they held or from contract work. So, yes, I would encourage people who are interested in federal work to look at contracting opportunities in their area. However, govt work is not for everyone. As you would expect, it is very bureaucratic and often slow moving.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
I'm a federal worker, but have never served. My current office has two vets out of 20 department members. My previous office had two vets out of 40. You certainly do not need to have veterans preference, especially if you are a scientist, engineer, etc.

Yes, it does take forever. My first fed job, I applied in March and started in Sept. When I moved between agencies, I applied in June and started in January. My next move, applied in June and starting in October. Oh, and other than this 3rd moved, I didn't know anyone when I applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment