Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:11 PM

661 posts, read 2,887,694 times

Advertisements

This isn't a judgement of homeless people - just one story.

My son works in Boston. Every day he'd get off the train and walk a couple of blocks to his building. Every day the same middle aged man was working the same corner, homeless and looking for spare change. In the beginning, my son would give him a whatever he could spare, but some days he couldn't afford it. This homeless guy would get belligerent on the days my son passed him by without contributing.

One evening he worked late and as he was coming out of his building, he saw this guy packing up and heading down the street. As it happened, my son was going in the same direction and was behind him for a ways. This guy heads off into a parking garage. Son follows him in, all the way to Mr. Homeless's Escalade.

Nice work if you can get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 03:08 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
This isn't a judgement of homeless people - just one story.

My son works in Boston. Every day he'd get off the train and walk a couple of blocks to his building. Every day the same middle aged man was working the same corner, homeless and looking for spare change. In the beginning, my son would give him a whatever he could spare, but some days he couldn't afford it. This homeless guy would get belligerent on the days my son passed him by without contributing.

One evening he worked late and as he was coming out of his building, he saw this guy packing up and heading down the street. As it happened, my son was going in the same direction and was behind him for a ways. This guy heads off into a parking garage. Son follows him in, all the way to Mr. Homeless's Escalade.

Nice work if you can get it.
Maybe he lives in his 'car'???

Old 05-03-2007, 05:49 PM

536 posts, read 1,190,673 times
i remember driving through NYC and seeing a homeless man's sign that read "need money for drugs and hookers, hey at least im honest" lol

Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,636,801 times
When I was in Las Vegas a couple years ago I saw this "homeless" guy on the strip asking for money. Well I was playing blackjack all day and made a nice sum so I decided to be generous and give him $20. About 3 hours later (around 8-ish I believe) I came out of my hotel and saw the same homeless guy carrying his sign and walking down the strip. Well he was walking in the same direction I was heading so I decided to follow.

He heads off the strip a little to a parking garage. I kept following (there was a huge crowd of people so I went un-noticed) until he goes inside and well...I'm not that adventurous to follow him but I do wait outside to see what he drives out with. And suprise suprise about 4 minutes later I see Mr. "homeless" guy driving out in a newer BMW 7 Series.

It might be time for a career change.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 50,074 times
Not surprising. About a year ago, I was entering the parking lot of a WalMart and I saw a homeless guy on the corner with the same type of sign <Will work for food> I felt sorry for him so while I was in the store, I made an effort to choose a variety of groceries. (personally, I do not like giving them money, because a lot of them out here in Alaska are alcoholics and use it to buy booze) On my way out, I held up traffic, stopped, and gave him a grocery bag full of food. Know what he did??? Threw it down and stomped on it. Friggin' ungrateful ass****!!

Old 05-03-2007, 07:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,308 times
(I think he was an undercover cop watching the corner.)

Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,200,879 times
Lazy is a good word for those that don't work. Idiotic is a good word for people that give money to the lazies who beg on street corners. I have no sympathy for either or for those on welfare and disablility as most cases, those categories fit either lazy or fraudulent. Not all, I know, but so many are scamming the system and costing taxpayers way too much money.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,930,838 times
Dingler, you are so funny! That office assistant job, it wasn't at the mortuary by any chance, was it? LOL

Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 AM

926 posts, read 1,457,379 times
If you ask them if they have change for $100.00 and they do, chances are they don't need the help.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:46 AM

926 posts, read 1,457,379 times
I also don't mind helping the people on the streets if they offer to wash your windshields or something like that for extra change, or maybe put on make-up to appear half-male/half-female and sing male and female parts as they turn. If they can sing a duet, I give them extra. I once gave a homeless person $20.00 for a Afghanistan map in order for me to keep up with the current events, only to discover that it was a sheet of sandpaper when I got home. Ok, maybe I made that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment