Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

bsically unless you had a contract the new employer wouldn't have any responsibilty that you quit your old job then the new one fell thru.In most governamnt positionsit even 6 months until your considered a permanent employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
You take a chance, no you are not eligible for UE, you quit. There are cases where some businesses are setting up dummy offices to interview people and say they will hire them, they turn in their 2 week notice, then that company disappears. It comes back that the company was a shell so the previous employer could have the employees quit. And they wonder why an employee wants to keep working until they actually start the new job???!~!! Two week notice is not a federal requirement, nor is it anything except what old school ettiquette has sort of forced us to abide by. Do employers abide by it? Do they give you two weeks pay when they terminate you? But, the employee is expected to be courteous, loyal, I ask, "Why"?

Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM

19 posts, read 73,941 times
Bad situation! Contact a lawyer, UI has to pay since you quit "with cause."

Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times
Ugh.

I thought I was the only one that happened to.

A voice mail, no less.

While I considered talking to my present employer at the time about NOT leaving, I thought about the reasons that I wanted to leave and look for a better job in the first place.

I fulfilled my last days there and was quite nervous about the future. My coworkers and I met at a nearby pub on my last day and I broke the news to them about me being unemployed as of "today".

You could have heard a pin drop in that bar, which was quite noisy before I gave the news.

I was out of work for a couple of weeks but landed something even better.

Things will work out......

I was laid off last June; took me 3 months to find the job I have now which I hate.

It's income.

That's all.

The bright sunny side is that since I'm working nights, I don't have to take time off to interview during the day.

Things WILL work out....

Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
Default Update

Hey,
Thanks for all the replies. I did not hear from this place in over a week and I called the lady. She was surprised to hear from me and said that she's been trying to call me but my phone was always off. Thats BS my phone is always on. Even if its off, it would still take a message. Anywho, she said that she was told there is no longer a demand and thus the job is no longer there.
Thanks again everyone. Just came back from another job interview, we'll see what happens. If I get an offer this time, I'll ask for it in paper

Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Always get your job offers in writing.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Always get your job offers in writing.
That is so true, when I was offered a job back in May when the lady on the phone said the offer letter will be mailed i told her-"I can pick that up today" because the job was only 5 mins away. I hate waiting only important things in the mail.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,968 times
The the same exact thing happen to me a couple weeks ago I got a job offered then they called me back and said the training was put on hold until further notice it's been three weeks and no call and I already quit my previous job I do have the job offer in writing what can I do about this ?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
It sucks, but I'm not sure there is anything you can do at this point except look for a different job. Honestly, there is nothing stopping a new company from laying you off after one day. At the end of the day it's all a giant crap shoot.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Love that...I have heard so many stories like that...it is like playing Vegas...you just never know. But, you seem to have a good attitude about it, and that is half the battle with getting a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment