Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:27 PM

398 posts, read 1,318,148 times

Advertisements

^^^^ yup - get a Blackberry. If you can afford it. That's what I did when my company decided they weren't going to let us check our email anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
Quietly look for another job. If your current situation is causing you this much distress, it's not worth it. I would suggest that you get used to that internet policy. You're next job may not be as forgiving. Better to get used to it now then to deal with it all over again at the next place.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 PM

10 posts, read 19,361 times
Thanks for all the replies. Many of my personal friends, and one of my new co-worker said the same things posted on here: They demoted you for using the internet to read the news? And stay until you find a new job.

I really don't like the new position, and losing my old one is still causing a lot of stress for me, but I know if I leave today, chances are I wont find a job until next year (I hope) seeing how fast the holidays are approaching.

I definitely learned my lesson about internet usage at the work place. I will never EVER repeat this again.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM

I have decided that either tomorrow or Friday will be my last day at the company
I really hope this is the right decision for the sake of my sanity.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:32 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
"To be employed in this economy is gold!"

This is all the advice you need to know.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
"To be employed in this economy is gold!"

This is all the advice you need to know.
Couldn't agree more. But if you miserable, and the stress is taking over your life, would still be there (provided you saved money for rainy days)?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Being home with no job is miserable. Trust me on this one. If he can move in with his parents until the economy gets better his plan will be a good one. I was not that happy with my job (dealing with people facing foreclosure) but it was much better than not having a job at all.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,138 times
I think you should quit, live off your saving until it's gone, lose everything you have worked for, apply for every POS job in the newspaper and get turned down, live in your car, get a sign "will work for Food, please help" don't forget to add Vietnam Vet on it. beg on the corner. move back in with your parents, ex girl friend, etc.

This is your future, it you quit. Stay and get a other employment before resign.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
I think you should quit, live off your saving until it's gone, lose everything you have worked for, apply for every POS job in the newspaper and get turned down, live in your car, get a sign "will work for Food, please help" don't forget to add Vietnam Vet on it. beg on the corner. move back in with your parents, ex girl friend, etc.

This is your future, it you quit. Stay and get a other employment before resign.
Dang...I hope my future wont go to that extent, but you, along with others do bring a good point that I should stay until a find a new job, and I agree with that but the stress is too much (I know I know, along with being an idiot, I am also a puss).

Lucky for me, my GF and I live together. Provided she doesn't get laidoff (but if she does, then we can live of our savings for 18-24months), she brings home about 2,500 a month. Our expenses (house mrtg, my car lease payment, insurance, other bills, food) total around 2,400. We also made some cutbacks last week. We got basic cable with Internet (saved about 70$ from our old plan), got the lowest cell plan (saved about 30$), canceled our gym membership (120$ a month), and we will start eating at home more, and drive her car (VW 28+mpg) rather than my SUV (17mpg).

I truly hope things will workout for the best, not just for me, but for all of us trying to find a job.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
I wish you all the best. Like you, I'd like to quit my current job, but considering I live in a state with over 12% unemployment and no good prospects anywhere, I'm just going to stick it out the best I can until the economy improves. Ideally, I'm hoping to transfer to another department in my company, but was told that there's a hiring freeze, so I'm pretty much stuck where I am. I keep telling myself that things could be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment