U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,404,330 times

Advertisements

Today I had a rather eye opening experience of working a very short time as a grocery store cashier. I normally am a pharmacy technician,but, in order to make some more money I thought I would work out in the front store....huge mistake I could tell that there is just not a level of respect that I get when I am behind the pharmacy counter and it was a sobering experience I frequently hear the comment "oh some minimum wage clerk" and I guess I could have been lumped into that category. I will not be working anymore as a grocery store cashier anymore...done Thank god I have that option because I realize many don't and they are good people
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM

16,842 posts, read 16,628,873 times
Yes, but only because I'm taller than most of them.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yes, but only because I'm taller than most of them.

Well I guess I didn't mean literally

Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 PM
B4U

3,563 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Today I had a rather eye opening experience of working a very short time as a grocery store cashier. I normally am a pharmacy technician,but, in order to make some more money I thought I would work out in the front store....huge mistake I could tell that there is just not a level of respect that I get when I am behind the pharmacy counter and it was a sobering experience I frequently hear the comment "oh some minimum wage clerk" and I guess I could have been lumped into that category. I will not be working anymore as a grocery store cashier anymore...done Thank god I have that option because I realize many don't and they are good people
Aptor hours, I'm sorry for your bad experience. Don't let one ignorant person ruin your experience in either position. Cashiers are sometimes the only contact most people have in any retail environment. They get the flack for anyone disgrutaled in any respect.They are bound to hear the worst of the worst, and more than anyone else.
You'll get 10 bad comments, either personally, or overheard. But when you hear that one good one, that one will reward you for the rest.
Thick skin and stiff upper lip will serve you well.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:44 PM

691 posts, read 1,376,972 times
Never. I have too much respect for anyone who works hard for their money. I wonder about people who act like they are better than others, what is with that anyway?!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Aptor hours, I'm sorry for your bad experience. Don't let one ignorant person ruin your experience in either position. Cashiers are sometimes the only contact most people have in any retail environment. They get the flack for anyone disgrutaled in any respect.They are bound to hear the worst of the worst, and more than anyone else.
You'll get 10 bad comments, either personally, or overheard. But when you hear that one good one, that one will reward you for the rest.
Thick skin and stiff upper lip will serve you well.

Thanks! It wasn't just one person though...I could tell it was a whole different ball game for customers. Not for everybody by any means at all. Thankfully I got a job offer at my full salary so I am very lucky that I don't need to be a grocery store cashier since I have education and experience to do something else. This just really opened my eyes to what some of my co workers have to do and they don't have a choice like I do and it makes me a little bit sad

Old 09-29-2009, 06:51 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,379,809 times
Our best banter is with grocery cashiers...at our local groceries and the Walmart we frequent. We find most of them congenial, good natured and have a sense of humor. So, no, we don't look down at them at all...long hours on their feet, repetitive work for very little pay. Sympathy and empathy is what we feel for them.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:00 PM

691 posts, read 1,376,972 times
I must tell you a story about some checkers at a store by my house, there is an old man, who has no family, he comes to the store a couple of times a week, to pick up his medicine and talks to the checkers. Well, he was missing for a week, so they called around to find out where he was, and found out he was at the hospital. They went and visited him, on their own time. And when he got home, the checkers would go visit him, and bring him his groceries. That is so awesome. I was humbled by the charity/caring/volunteer by these workers who cared for this elderly man. Anyone who would look down on anyone like that is messed up.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 PM

23,995 posts, read 32,322,325 times
I love the checkers at my local grocery! They are wonderful people, always with a smile. I have a few that I purposely choose their lanes when possible because they brighten my day. I don't look down on anyone who does a good job, regardless of what they do for a living.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 PM

2,020 posts, read 2,656,550 times
I hate people who are nasty to cashiers and floor people in stores. The worst is when the cashier scans an item and for whatever reason it doesn't ring up at the sale price and the customer goes off on them as if the poor cashier is personally trying to rip them off.

I've seen people stand there making faces and whatnot at an obvious trainee who is working with a manager on ringing things up properly. Everyone was new at their job at one time, why be nasty? This person will be doing just fine after they get the hang of things.

The impatience level or downright nastiness to service workers is just a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment