Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 12:40 AM

349 posts, read 887,738 times

Advertisements

Even as layoffs persist, good jobs go begging - Careers- msnbc.com

This could be true, or it could be setting the stage for corporations to increase hiring of H1B workers and outsourcing.

I don't care for the tone of this article - what do you guys make of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,762,421 times
It sounds pretty dismal. Is there such a term as insourcing?=bringing in immigrants to fill these positions, especially the engineering professions.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
While I agree some with the numbers and the claims of "demand" for skilled workers, I don't like the tone of the article, either.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a a background in precision machining, and despite what these companies SAY they can SAY all they want to, my job is no more secure than anybody else's in the private sector. Companies are low balling big time on pay for newbies, they're over-working folks, and at the end of the day their attitude is they'd rather you clean out your desk, push your tool box out to the parking lot, etc., rather than speak up about anything.

The prevailing attitude is that they'd rather you quit, so they can find somebody cheaper off the street.

-

Old 10-05-2009, 03:28 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Baloney, salami, baloney!

They made engineers disposable employees and shipped in as many as they could from overseas. There are plenty of unemployed engineers right here. Thank you very much. They just don't want to pay Joe America when they can bring in cheap h1b visa people. They are going to whine until they get cheap labor.

Next, what ever happened to training people?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:12 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,945 times
This is nuts. I can't think of any jobs that don't require any training whatsoever. Even McDonald's requires some training. And they want someone to just walk in on day 1 knowing every single building code? LOL

Just goes to show you how idiotic the porkulus bill was -- fancy new jobs created trying to be filled by morons who "has hired a recruiter for the first time to fill dozens of positions" ... Hey, welcome to the real world! Do the work yourself or pay a recruiter to do it for you! These people are in left field!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Again, this is just a bunch of hype. Let's hook a new generation into getting engineering jobs and yes, they will never see an honest day's work in their field.
The only people getting rich these days are 'trade schools' and 'colleges' promising you too will be 'well off' once you hook a degree in the highly lucrative world of "Engineering/Medicine/Nursing/Teaching/whatever...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
I agree that with the hype. Ridiculous.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,435 times
This article is typical media/politician drivel.....just advertisements for what the government and their media cohorts WANT our economy to be about.

The truth is that companies don't want to spend ONE DIME on training nowadays, but we keep hearing over and over and over about what the "hot jobs" are!

Old 10-05-2009, 01:51 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Baloney, salami, baloney!

They made engineers disposable employees and shipped in as many as they could from overseas. There are plenty of unemployed engineers right here. Thank you very much. They just don't want to pay Joe America when they can bring in cheap h1b visa people. They are going to whine until they get cheap labor.

Next, what ever happened to training people?
The costs are to high.

'Not the skill set we need'

We have lots of people with BA's and MA's in finance, journalism, sociology, dramatic arts and psychology but those aren't the job skills needed right now.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
Oops! I think some words disappeared from my post. Sorry! I've been "dumbing" myself down for some survival jobs, but I don't want to sound too "dumb"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment