U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
 
511 posts, read 751,005 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
The problem with that is, depending on the industry you work for, you take the risk of burning bridges when you leave a company with 2 days notice after a week on the job. So it's a factor that needs to be considered. I know I've probably burned some bridges with the 2 managers when I did that last year, and hope it doesn't wind up hurting me down the line. In my industry, finance and banking, it's a small world and as many firms as there are, I'm still surprised how many people know each other.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation. I have an offer from a company that's not within my field of work, but am waiting for another offer that is. In this case, should I accept the first offer and drop them if the second offer comes? This wouldn't burn any bridges because the first job is completely out of my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,003 posts, read 1,213,786 times
Reputation: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I'm in a similar situation. I have an offer from a company that's not within my field of work, but am waiting for another offer that is. In this case, should I accept the first offer and drop them if the second offer comes? This wouldn't burn any bridges because the first job is completely out of my field.
Yes, you should accept the first offer. The economy is horrific and you can't beat yourself up about not accepting a job if you never get a call back from a company in your field. If the second offer comes, jump on it but be prepared to have the people you work for be very upset about your decision and possibly add you to a blacklist shared with other companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 AM
 
7,492 posts, read 8,205,509 times
Reputation: 6254
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Every time I look for a job I stress over this scenario. What happens if I am offered a job and I take it, then a week or two later I get a better offer (since I'm sending my resume all over the place?) I'm sure employers realize this could happen. But I don't want to say I'm waiting to hear back from another company, cause then neither one might hire me. I can't afford to not take a job if it's offered, cause 100+ people apply for it.
In this market, you can't afford to take risks. One time, during a bad job market, I was looking for a job. I interviewed with two companies. One sounded promising. The other sounded like it would be pretty boring and not help my career. But they were the ones who made an offer. I was worried that if I accepted, I would miss out on working for the other company. But I didn't want to take any chances and risk losing both jobs. So I took the offer I had. It turned out to be a good decision since the other company eventually got back to me and said No Thanks. But even if they were interested, I would've been turned off by them taking so long. I interviewed with both companies at the same time. The one who hired me didn't take long to decide. It felt good knowing that they liked me that much. The other company seemed to be dragging their feet. The important thing to keep in mind with any job is that there's always a better job out there. But at some point, you just have to say "this is good enough for now."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
 
1,828 posts, read 2,862,597 times
Reputation: 595
Take the offer, Ive been waiting on the same thing for a couple of months now and another job came through which isn't as good as the first one but its not a done deal with the first one that it will happen so I took the one I will be starting soon. Im still hoping the first one comes through but if it doesn't at least I am still going to be able to pay my bills for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
 
Location: grooving in the city
7,371 posts, read 3,227,271 times
Reputation: 23427
I would take the position that you have been offered. As you said, "it's not in your field', but it is still a job. Hopefully, you will get the position you applied for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 AM
 
301 posts, read 564,779 times
Reputation: 398
I would take anything at any time at this point. I would take it. There are NO guarantees that another job will happen. If it does, and it's better, take it. Do what you have to do. It's a dog eat dog world and employers don't give a &$#&^. They have plenty of applicants who are desperate to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM
 
511 posts, read 751,005 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Take the offer, Ive been waiting on the same thing for a couple of months now and another job came through which isn't as good as the first one but its not a done deal with the first one that it will happen so I took the one I will be starting soon. Im still hoping the first one comes through but if it doesn't at least I am still going to be able to pay my bills for now.
So, if the first one comes through, will you quit the job that you took? I'm pretty sure I will accept the job offer, but don't know if I should quit if the other offer comes through in a few weeks. I would like to add that the job that has not contacted me yet will pay significatly more(20 to 30K more) and it's within my field of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Between Philadelphia and Allentown, PA
5,079 posts, read 8,604,723 times
Reputation: 3616
I've been in a position where I accepted a job but a job called and told me I'm still under consideration, so essentially two potential jobs... it's a rarity though. I have to look at it like this, sitting and waiting isn't paying my bills. That happened to me a long time ago when the economy was still ok. In this economy, you could sit around all day while employers go back and forth and make a decisions while they leave potential employees hanging. Fact is, you need a job, they are hard to come by these days and you and 400 other potentials are looking at the same jobs. Take the job offered. Worst case scenario you DO get another offer and jump ship. I wouldn't but I guess it's always an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM
 
1,828 posts, read 2,862,597 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
So, if the first one comes through, will you quit the job that you took? I'm pretty sure I will accept the job offer, but don't know if I should quit if the other offer comes through in a few weeks. I would like to add that the job that has not contacted me yet will pay significatly more(20 to 30K more) and it's within my field of work.
Definitely I will quit, the first job has much better pay and much better benefits. I was hoping honestly that the first one comes through before I start the second one in a few weeks. We will see. No way I can turn down any job after being out of work for 22 months. Unemployment is almost gone for me it couldn't have come at a better time to keep me going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
 
511 posts, read 751,005 times
Reputation: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Take the offer, Ive been waiting on the same thing for a couple of months now and another job came through which isn't as good as the first one but its not a done deal with the first one that it will happen so I took the one I will be starting soon. Im still hoping the first one comes through but if it doesn't at least I am still going to be able to pay my bills for now.
I hear you. A couple of months is a long time. I just interviewed with company A last week(Thursday) and they said that they will make a decision within the next two weeks. I got the offer from company B yesterday. I wonder should I call company A and ask can they make a decision sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top