Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Americans Wake Up in Time and Fight the Looting of American Jobs?
Americans will wake up in time when UI extensions expire and when the COBRA subsidies expire and they have to face the lack of a social safety net 9 14.29%
Americans will wake up in time when it turns out there will be no UHC and they cannot get a job to get benefits with or to pay for their own policies 6 9.52%
Americans will wake up & demand a comprehensive social safety net for the unemployed paid for by taxes on corps who are offshoring & importing labor 7 11.11%
Americans will keep believing “we’re only offshoring a tiny portion of jobs and only bringing in a few foreign workers” until they all are unemployed 22 34.92%
Americans will wake up too late when the unemployment rate is so terrible that people are starving in the streets. 25 39.68%
Americans will wake up too late and many will need to emigrate out of this country because it will be impossible to survive with so much unemployment 24 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,701,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Did you know there's a bunch of threads about people (individuals) outsourcing healthcare (esp dental) overseas (or cross-border to Mexico) just to save some money?

Offshoring is increasing on all levels, not just in corporations.
That's the next industry that's gonnabe torn to shreds and rightly so. The stethescreeps in this country and their oligarchy is simply getting out of control and they have only made it worse for the common man to get decent healthcare.

Lower costs lure U.S. patients abroad for treatment - CNN

Some day the champions who created globalization will sit down and realize how they clobbered the world's anthropological fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
That's the next industry that's gonnabe torn to shreds and rightly so. The stethescreeps in this country and their oligarchy is simply getting out of control and they have only made it worse for the common man to get decent healthcare.

Lower costs lure U.S. patients abroad for treatment - CNN

Some day the champions who created globalization will sit down and realize how they clobbered the world's anthropological fabric.
Rightfully so? So you're all for offshoring.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Rightfully so? So you're all for offshoring.
I was just having a little populist moment.

I like such stories where a woman gets her heart surgery done for under 10K when there is a ridiculous system in America which denies proper healthcare for several average and poor citizens. 175K vs 10K is pretty damn good. Like the common man's revenge against the insurance and healthcare giants like Humana, Big Pharma and the like who are also very busy offshoring their IT department work to low cost countries to bolster their revenues and executive paychecks.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I was just having a little populist moment.

I like such stories where a woman gets her heart surgery done for under 10K when there is a ridiculous system in America which denies proper healthcare for several average and poor citizens. 175K vs 10K is pretty damn good. Like the common man's revenge against the insurance and healthcare giants like Humana, Big Pharma and the like who are also very busy offshoring their IT department work to low cost countries to bolster their revenues and executive paychecks.
Either you are for offshoring or against it. There's no inbetween: No for corporations, Yes for individuals.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Either you are for offshoring or against it. There's no inbetween: No for corporations, Yes for individuals.
Nope, I don't go with the GW cowboy outlook. Sorry, man!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Nope, I don't go with the GW cowboy outlook. Sorry, man!
I don't follow "GW cowboy outlook".

Old 05-29-2011, 09:20 PM

574 posts, read 1,639,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
1. Move to third world nation.
2. Live for one year as middle class citizen
3. Return to United States
4. Apologize to forum for silly statement
1. Been there
2. Done that
3. Done that
4. No reason to apologize as WE ARE A THIRD WORLD NATION!

Wake up and quit believing everything you are told! That is one reason WE ARE A THIRD WORLD NATION!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I follow Indian news once in a while and I recently caught this.

Infosys hiring 20,000 more for 2011. And I was like, wheee, 20K more L1 visas. If there has to be any reform, talk to your local senators and congressmen about bringing about some chains on the L1 category, which is the most abused visa category and has an infinite limit. L1's what is actually costing the American citizen more.

H1 visas are not very much sought after these days coz H1 visa category requires salary levels as high as the local workers and in most cases are actually higher. Only 8K out of 65K visa applications from around the world have been received by the immigration dept. in this category. And this is not even an attractive visa for employers any longer, naturally.

But there is no lower limit on an L1 visa. Some wild companies even pay them as low as 35K. It's broad daylight human labor exploitation
Excellent points! Unfortunately they are lost on those who have blinders on!

Old 05-29-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The best part about the "little guy with big ears" you mentioned, Perot, is that HE was one of the grand-daddy's of offshore outsourcing, along with Jack Welch of GE, to India with his company that he made a fortune off of from GOVT. dollars ... Perot Systems.
The statement was credited to him and not necessarily what he, or his former company, did. As much as many may not like him he did make a very valid point during that election. Unfortunately he picked the wrong running mate, and he dropped out early.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,337,367 times
Many of these problems started with NAFTA, I worked unemployment then, and so many people in good jobs, doing mining, and manufacturing started calling, and filing for unemployment because their business was closing, this was back in 2001. Ten years later, look where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment