Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 PM

96 posts, read 620,083 times

Advertisements

I know it doesn't make it any easier but know that you are not alone in this.There are lots of us in similiar circumstances.Don't beat yourself down and don't buy into the garbage that somehow it's your fault or your not trying hard enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:51 PM

137 posts, read 625,039 times
[quote=antiquesmountainapache;11176200]It just breaks my heart to read some of our posts. Aren't you the custom woodworker?

I am. ...And thanks to all who have responded. It was a terrible day and I had to vent. I don't generally whine but, well you know.
I would gladly go work out of state, live elsewhere for awhile just to provide my family with some income and relief. Problem with that is, we sold one of our cars and are now a one car family . What to do?
Thanks again everybody. There is much to be thankful for, so we all just keep on walking.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Stressing about the situation will not help... Try meditation. Exercise will also lower stress. Luckily I have access to a gym and can work out for free.
Going on double your unemployment length
Something else nobody has said yet, or possibly they did...turn off the news and stop reading the headlines...

I am in California... there are 2.2 million other people unemployed here, out of that, 1/3 of the state's unemployed have been out of work at least 6 months.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 AM

105 posts, read 170,528 times
Make a revolution.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Only problem is..........none of this PAYS THE BILLS, stops a home from foreclosure, or stops a vehicle from being repossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
get out of the house and exercise. WALK very fast for at least a half an hour. It helps alot with stress. If you have a treadmill walk, run, move! I find exercise to really help me and put new light on things. It also helps with sleep.

Dont panic, this never helped. Deep breath, hot bath, warm soup and a good cry!! Sorry things suck.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
I've been out of a job for 2 years now and wife is on a Contract type job that she is told will end right after Christmas. If neither of us can find full-time permanent work by then......it most likely will be bankruptcy time!!
We just thank the dear Lord we don't own a home or have anyone living with us!!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:41 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
All are good suggestions and I have nothing to add except keep on keeping on. You are not alone, I'm at 16 months now.

I myself had a "I'm gonna lose it" moment yesterday.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,297 times
Oh this is so timely. I've been looking for a job for about a year now. I'm a young widow (35) with a seven year old. My husband died in an accident when my son was 10 months old. I was supposed to be a stay at home mom and have another child but here I am 7 years later totally freaking out. It hit me three nights ago when the bank account that I was living off of hit zero. I do have another savings account and my son gets SS but my bank account is lower than I ever wanted it to be. I literally am nauseous, waking up in the middle of the night, can't sleep. Finally had to call a friend last night at 11:30 to give me a zanax. As it is I am crying as I type this because I feel so helpless. I don't know what to do. I sent out 10 resumes just yesterday and I don't know what to do next. do I call them? do I just stop by?

And to top it off, I have noone to vent to, no one to hug at night. I have very supportive friends and family but I'm embarrassed to talk about it with them because there are things I could have done better. so then I feel guilty about feeling sorry for myself. I was very lucky that I was able to get my life insurance to stretch out for almost seven years. I was lucky we had life insurance. I'm lucky that I have over half equity in my house. For those of you especially with a stay at home parent, make sure you have life insurance and go double or triple that life insurance right now because while it probably sounds like alot, divide that by the number of years you want them to stay home with the kids and see if they can live off of it.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. It is just after even taking the xanex last night at midnight I still woke up in a dead panic at 6am, at least it wasn't 5 am like yesterday. I just started reading this thread and needed to vent because I too am freaking out.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:49 AM

576 posts, read 994,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
Oh this is so timely. I've been looking for a job for about a year now. I'm a young widow (35) with a seven year old. My husband died in an accident when my son was 10 months old. I was supposed to be a stay at home mom and have another child but here I am 7 years later totally freaking out. It hit me three nights ago when the bank account that I was living off of hit zero. I do have another savings account and my son gets SS but my bank account is lower than I ever wanted it to be. I literally am nauseous, waking up in the middle of the night, can't sleep. Finally had to call a friend last night at 11:30 to give me a zanax. As it is I am crying as I type this because I feel so helpless. I don't know what to do. I sent out 10 resumes just yesterday and I don't know what to do next. do I call them? do I just stop by?

And to top it off, I have noone to vent to, no one to hug at night. I have very supportive friends and family but I'm embarrassed to talk about it with them because there are things I could have done better. so then I feel guilty about feeling sorry for myself. I was very lucky that I was able to get my life insurance to stretch out for almost seven years. I was lucky we had life insurance. I'm lucky that I have over half equity in my house. For those of you especially with a stay at home parent, make sure you have life insurance and go double or triple that life insurance right now because while it probably sounds like alot, divide that by the number of years you want them to stay home with the kids and see if they can live off of it.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. It is just after even taking the xanex last night at midnight I still woke up in a dead panic at 6am, at least it wasn't 5 am like yesterday. I just started reading this thread and needed to vent because I too am freaking out.

Wow Dressage. I don't have any sage wisdom or advice, but wow, you have been handed a load to carry, that's for sure.

I just wanted to extend my sympathies to you and let you know that I will send up a special word for you, in the hopes that your situation will let up shortly and that you'll find some peace.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times
Try temping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment