Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,857 times

Advertisements

I agree with the reply about auto mechanics. Good mechanics with some years behind them can make $60K-$100K/yr.

I know guys who graduated with engineering degrees, who decided to go into auto mechanics, instead, and they are all doing fine. One started his own shop on his property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1st View Post
Auto Mechanic that learns all aspects of these new computerized cars. There aren't enough Auto Mechanics to go around. In this economy, more and more people are keeping the cars they have for longer.

Does anyone know of a real auto mechanic (not in manufacturing) that is out of work? Most schools will set you up with an internship, if a repair shop (mostly dealerships) likes you they will pay for all your certifications. You gotta work for an honest operation though. Operations with shady reps loose business fast in poor economies. The honest and trustworthy ones stay busy.
A rep to you!

There's a small shop here that's run by a couple of guys who are making a killing the old fashioned way. They're earning it.

They've been around for a while and enjoy the solid reputation of being known not to rip people off. If Mike says you need new ignition wires you can bet you need to ignition wires.

They are constantly busy always with cars parked around waiting for its turn.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,783 times
Good refrigeration techs that are good can get a job anywhere in the south. It's an easy trade, a lot less technical than auto. think about it, count the number of a/c units you pass on your way to work? A lot, but auto work is very good too if you have the right stuff.

Refrigeration techs do about 60k if they are good. 120K if they are in business for themself, One man shop.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile A trade

I had a client a couple of years who worked for a large retail department store and had worked his way up to air conditioning manager or something like that. He was in charge of all the stores in our area (there are a lot) and he was telling me that he just can't find young guys willing to learn out there. This was 2 years ago; he has been there 29 years. Started at age 20, worked his way up the line. Happy guy.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:45 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,153 times
Here is a link to a good apprenticeship program:

http://www.mcdean.com/apprenticeshippage.htm

These are becoming harder and harder to find in the private sector now.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Here is a link to a good apprenticeship program:

http://www.mcdean.com/apprenticeshippage.htm

These are becoming harder and harder to find in the private sector now.

Good call. Some apprenticeships are paid for by the employer or a local union or shop owners' guild, too. People (especially young folks) need to start looking into this stuff.

Here's another one: Computerized machine controls techs. Generally, there's an apprenticeship, plus employers often times require an AS or AAS degree.

There was a controls tech position open here in Columbia, for several months, starting at $24+/hr., plus full benefits. Haven't checked lately to see if the posting was still up.

I've seen diesel mech. jobs go begging around here in the last 6 months, paying $18-$26/hr. We're in the middle of a serious slump in this country, and there STILL are skilled trades jobs out there in some areas.

Machine controls programs are big on electronics (analog and digital), plus a little programming knowledge, tech. math, etc. Doable for the average person who is willing to work hard at school and on the job.

I know controls tech folks who work in food processing, and they all make north of $55K/yr. They're all younger than me, too, as in guys around 30 and younger. That's another trade where there will be LOTS of retirements in the next 5 years, plus increased demand as various industries become more dependent upon computerized controls.

Controls techs also monitor and repair/maintain auto assembly lines, sub-component assy. lines, etc., generally wherever there is automation and robotics (which is what it really is).

-

Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 PM

Geez, and how could I forget three big ones-making prosthetic limbs, making dental prosthesis, and optics.

The prosthetic limb stuff has really gone high-tech in the last several years, with some of it made in 5+ axis CNC machines, some components made from carbon fiber, etc.

Dental prosthesis apprenticeships are good ones, and pay well.

Optics is one of the best, IMHO. Kinda wish I'd gotten into that field. There are 3 cities where optics is big: Rochester, NY, Orlando, FL, and Tucson, AZ. Similar to machining (lots of hard-turning and other forms of fabrication on machine tools), fixture building, etc., and there are training programs for that. Not many schools offer degrees, although the comm. college back home offers a certificate and an AAS degree, and UofR offers a bachelor's (and probably higher degrees).

-

Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
my favorite VE entirely available at jr college level debt free
RN,
favorite most direct path is 42 units to LVN then crossover program 30 units to RN.
nursing is huge field, teaching admin child older adult on hands theory surgical, family practice you name it.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 AM

354 posts, read 855,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Out of all the trades out there, which one is the best in terms of job security, pay, and advancement? Electrician? Plumber? HVAC? Heavy Equipment Operator? Welding? Brick Mason? Auto Mechanic? Carpenter? etc?

Heavy Equipment Operator usually make a lot of money but because of that they really don't have a lot of job security (Too Much Competition). If you are good you should be fine in most areas. Owning your own business will help but not an easy thing to achieve.

I have been trying to tell my nephew to be an electrician. He can have his own business or if he doesn't like that he can very easy get a job as a maintenance man at a factory. Also the electricians are the ones that are installing solar panels and in Pennsylvania where I live and their is not enough electricians that have been trained in solar installation. You could also go back to school and become an electrical engineer at some point.

You can make a lot as a brick mason if you also do cement work and stone masonry. But it takes a lot of time and energy to learn these skills. My Dad made A LOT of money doing this.

The fact that it appears your putting in a lot of energy into making a career choice tells me you will be fine in whatever you choose. Most people just fall into a job.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:35 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,220 times
Welding.

My husband is a welder and we are never worried about him being out of work. He has always made a good living to support our family. You could work in a shop, do field work, do underwater welding, get your CWI and be an inspector, get your own truck and welder to do private jobs, do costume jobs, travel for work with something like a pipeline. If you are a skilled welder I don't think you will have to worry about not finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment