Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 PM

543 posts, read 3,077,234 times

Advertisements

One bad thing about welding is that you have to breathe in the toxic metal fumes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:34 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
One bad thing about welding is that you have to breathe in the toxic metal fumes
You have NO idea what you are talking about......

Old 10-23-2009, 12:44 AM

5 posts, read 20,203 times
thorium, sometimes used in tig welding electrodes, is radioactive. grind with caution

Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
Welding.

My husband is a welder and we are never worried about him being out of work. He has always made a good living to support our family. You could work in a shop, do field work, do underwater welding, get your CWI and be an inspector, get your own truck and welder to do private jobs, do costume jobs, travel for work with something like a pipeline. If you are a skilled welder I don't think you will have to worry about not finding a job.
I agree.

One friend of mine is a precision welder, and he has a background in mold making. So, most of his business is in welding molds, although he does PLENTY of other precision welding 90%+ of weld shops won't touch.

There was a huge demand for welders who could weld titanium near to here, recently, starting at $26/hr. I think it was about 24 positions or so.

-

Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
If you aren't bright enough to google something then you're not going to be bright enough to get through any type of specialized mechanical school.
That comment was uncalled for!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:33 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Everything considered, including work environment/conditions/stability/pay:

Industrial/other specialized electrician

Biomedical Technician (Repairing Medical Equipment - Specialize)

Plumber (but Dirty)

Inspector (Welding, electrical, plumbing, etc)

Cost Estimator (General Construction, Electrical, etc.)

Old 10-23-2009, 03:34 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,856,771 times
underwater welding

Old 10-24-2009, 09:08 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,450 times
My family owns a masonry contracting firm.....laying brick, stone, tuck pointing, stuff like that. Business is booming and they're having trouble finding qualified people. Starting wage $35/hr + benefits which include vacations, sick days, pension and health insurance.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:27 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,038 times
This is a great thread!

It seems like there is a stigma attached to teens graduating high school nowadays that don't want to go to 4 year institutions. It was the same back in '89 when I finished high school, but I know it is worse now. Some parents are to blame also.

Most young people today, because of the media and sorry school curriculums, think that "technical" only means IT and PC jobs. Or that "trades" is construction labor, or being a janitor.

To me formal education is no better than formal apprenticeships and OJT.

I spent 4 years in the Navy. The first year was all schools and training. After that I went to a two-year college and obtained an associate degree in a technical field. After that i was luck enough to get on at a company that had a good training program that involved community college courses. After that I took other classes (AutoCad and PLC's) that were, in part, reimbursed through my employer. All-in-all I have more class time than most folks who have a BA or BS from a tradtional 4 yr university. My last job paid over $58K and the one before that paid over $50K. And that is in NC.

Not going to university does not equate to being a failure.

There are so many career opportunities out there that are in need of skilled trades/technical folks. Even in this bad economy. When things get better there will be even more demand.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 PM

610 posts, read 3,014,972 times
Where is the best city/state to learn, practice, and become proficient in a trade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment