U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2009, 04:59 PM

543 posts, read 1,730,434 times
Default What would be the easiest job to get?

except for busking on the streets.
I'm sure going into the military would be the easiest job, but with them in Middle East it seems it might be quite dangerous.

i heard that it's hard to even get a fast food job. Would it be easier to get a job as an apprentice of skilled trades such as lineman, than as a burger-flipper?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 PM

691 posts, read 1,312,972 times
Long haul trucking. People burn out on that job. All you need is a clean license. Often companies will hire and train you for free.http://www.findatruckingjob.com/

Last edited by kek1993; 10-16-2009 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 PM

781 posts, read 2,520,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Long haul trucking. People burn out on that job. All you need is a clean license. Often companies will hire and train you for free.Truck Driving Jobs | Local Truck Driver Jobs | CDL Trucking Jobs with Trucking Companies - FindaTruckingJob.com
Not so easy there kek. Truckers is burnt out of the low pay per mile. Long haul trucking is like making minimal wages these days. There isn't any loads to move. The trucking industry is struggling. The companies will pick experience drivers over newbies. Training isn't free, you will likely sign a year or two contract.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:13 PM

True, but it is still easy to get your foot in the door, and if you can't find other work, it is an option. Not a great option, I will admit that.

The poster wanted an easy job to get, and long haul trucking is easy to get into, if you are young, healthy, don't have a lot of criminal problems, and have a clean license.

I just get tired of people saying "there are no jobs out there", well, there are plenty of jobs, just not jobs that many people want to do, and most of them are low paying. I have several jobs open right now, that I am trying to fill, and you think anyone wants them? Nope. They don't want to work "2nd shift".

Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM

6,475 posts, read 7,808,125 times
Quote:
True, but it is still easy to get your foot in the door, and if you can't find other work, it is an option. Not a great option, I will admit that.

The poster wanted an easy job to get, and long haul trucking is easy to get into, if you are young, healthy, don't have a lot of criminal problems, and have a clean license.

I just get tired of people saying "there are no jobs out there", well, there are plenty of jobs, just not jobs that many people want to do, and most of them are low paying. I have several jobs open right now, that I am trying to fill, and you think anyone wants them? Nope. They don't want to work "2nd shift".
What kind of jobs are they?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,820,181 times
RGIS Inventory. They will hire you if you can breathe and count at a reasonable pace.

They had to dumb down the math test. There aren't any arithmetic questions any more, just counting pictures of squares and cubes. You can answer the questions a lot faster if you can multiply but you can still pass if you can count the little boxes fast.

It's a 5 minute test and I finished after 3 minutes and got only one wrong because I was sloppy.

The downside is that the hours vary greatly, so it's not a dependable source of income. Sometimes it's 35 or 50 hours a week, sometimes it's 10.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,784,620 times
If I was in your neck of the woods right now I'd definately come see ya!
I've been working 2nd and 3rd shift for the last 15+ years so that's not a problem with me!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Look for work at a nursing home, lots of jobs, laundry, janitorial, food service, nurse assistants. Not high pay, hard work, often 2nd, 3rd shift.http://www.seniorcarejobs.org/

Last edited by kek1993; 10-16-2009 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 10-16-2009, 09:25 PM

6,475 posts, read 7,808,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
RGIS Inventory. They will hire you if you can breathe and count at a reasonable pace.

They had to dumb down the math test. There aren't any arithmetic questions any more, just counting pictures of squares and cubes. You can answer the questions a lot faster if you can multiply but you can still pass if you can count the little boxes fast.

It's a 5 minute test and I finished after 3 minutes and got only one wrong because I was sloppy.

The downside is that the hours vary greatly, so it's not a dependable source of income. Sometimes it's 35 or 50 hours a week, sometimes it's 10.
Here in NY, that kind of job is given to "workfare" recipients. I know someone who just went on public assistance and was given this type of job 4 hrs/day 5 days/week. They even gave him a bus pass so he'd have no excuse to get to the job.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,784,620 times
Quote:
Look for work at a nursing home, lots of jobs, laundry, janitorial, food service, nurse assistants. Not high pay, hard work, often 2nd, 3rd shift.Home - Senior Care & Nursing Home Jobs
Funny you should mention that, I just got CNA certified in my state!

Thanks for the link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment