U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:25 PM

87 posts, read 428,885 times

Advertisements

I am considering a home-study correspondence course in Nursing Assistant. I am wondering if completion of the course and the Nursing Assistant diploma would qualify me to take the exam somewhere to be certified? Anyone know? Anyone know how I could find out?
Also, do places still hire Nursing Assistants (as in not certified)? Obviously the pay for an NA would not be as good as a CNA, but that is fine. I worked as one before and was not certified but this was way back in the early 90s.

Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 06:29 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,522,259 times
I just got mine......I think nowadays being certified gives you a leg up on the competition......A lot of the people in my class were already working but their employers made them go to school to earn their certification, so you might as well get it, that way you look like a better candidate as opposed to someone they would have send to school (and pay for) The only snag may be experience.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:24 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
I could be wrong, but I think some states require the certification.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:34 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,152,297 times
Many nursing homes will hire you and pay for your training, to get certified. Don't do a home-study course, that's something that you need to learn hands-on.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:30 PM

691 posts, read 2,075,175 times
It depends on what state you live in. Most places will hire you, off the street, and provide training for the CNA courses, and pay for it as well, but you need to sign an agreement to stay for a length of time after the training, if you leave before that time, they keep your last paycheck. If you talk to state employment agency, or Voc Rehab, they will pay for classes if you are eligible for services (just be humble, they will help you).

Also, depends on where you want to work, most places, taking a correspondence course is not much of a reference, it is more important that you have experience working with the population of patients you want to specialize in.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:52 AM

11 posts, read 26,664 times
Default PLS HELP!!! thanks

hello everyone
Does anybody know where to apply as CNA in GUAM??? and IM CNA IN FLORIDA can I stil lwork in GUAM???
and how much do they pay?

I'm currently here in FLORIDA but my hubby got a better job in NAVAL BASE as engr. so I have to move with him too, now IM waiitng for my board exam for CNA.this JUNE.. .IM going to follow him after my exam HOPEFULLy I PASS...
Its suck coz schools and hospitals are here in FLorida and they are better here.. Planning to Pursue RN too..but since I have BACHELORS degree in COMPSCIE back in the PHILIPPINES now I'm planning to pursue "RN" after this CNA thing it will take me 2 more yrs prolly, becoz i had 136 credits approved fr my former DEGREE as BS COMPSCIENCE

DOES ANYBODY KNOW which school to go in GUAM???? for NURSING?

thank you I will aprreciate your help...

Old 11-27-2013, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 14,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTERSHOCK View Post
I am considering a home-study correspondence course in Nursing Assistant. I am wondering if completion of the course and the Nursing Assistant diploma would qualify me to take the exam somewhere to be certified? Anyone know? Anyone know how I could find out?
Also, do places still hire Nursing Assistants (as in not certified)? Obviously the pay for an NA would not be as good as a CNA, but that is fine. I worked as one before and was not certified but this was way back in the early 90s.

Thankyou
Times have changed in the Nursing field although they do still hire NA but they make a minimum wage which isn't not worth it. We are considered NA but to be certified (CNA) is to take the exam. Being certified as an NA enables you to go further with your education and get paid a decent salary. So you may want to look into a Convalescent Home which they have their own program within a facility and give people free scholarships to work for them after certification is achieved. Mind you when you graduate you can work 120 days until you get your license. You can also get financial aid for these types of programs but you learn a lot more hands on being in a class room setting because you can actually get the feel of what it will be like to actually be in the healthcare setting working with a patient. So you can find these schools and resources in you states Board of Nursing under education and they also mention scholarship offers. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 2,665 times
Nursing is still a great profession, and I think starting rather as a CNA than a NA is a better way to enter the healthcare industry. Becoming a CNA involves just a relative short training time and minimal financial commitment. And it's not that difficult getting your license. After some work experience you can study further to become a RN, LPN, BSN or even a MSN.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:29 PM

9,778 posts, read 16,975,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riena_filipina View Post
hello everyone
Does anybody know where to apply as CNA in GUAM??? and IM CNA IN FLORIDA can I stil lwork in GUAM???
and how much do they pay?

I'm currently here in FLORIDA but my hubby got a better job in NAVAL BASE as engr. so I have to move with him too, now IM waiitng for my board exam for CNA.this JUNE.. .IM going to follow him after my exam HOPEFULLy I PASS...
Its suck coz schools and hospitals are here in FLorida and they are better here.. Planning to Pursue RN too..but since I have BACHELORS degree in COMPSCIE back in the PHILIPPINES now I'm planning to pursue "RN" after this CNA thing it will take me 2 more yrs prolly, becoz i had 136 credits approved fr my former DEGREE as BS COMPSCIENCE

DOES ANYBODY KNOW which school to go in GUAM???? for NURSING?

thank you I will aprreciate your help...
Google is your friend and will certainly answer your questions about CNA requirements. The Univ of Guam appears to be the only nursing school, which is not surprising considering how small the island is.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:04 PM

624 posts, read 603,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTERSHOCK View Post

Thankyou
I would be very skeptical of a home correspondence course.

I got my CNA by taking 4 weeks of classes that were offered at a local nursing home. My advice to you is to call a few nursing homes in your area, and tell them you are interested in becoming an aide, and ask them if they can direct you to the place where the aides they employ got their training.

My local community college and the local vo-ed school both offer CNA courses, but the courses are longer than 4 weeks, and cost considerably more than the 500 dollars I paid for my course. (repaid because the facility hired me, yay) You are probably eligible for a Pell Grant, tho.

Good luck to you, and a pro tip. The Alzheimer wards are the best places to work in a nursing home. The Alzheimer residents are much easier to deal with than those in the 'general population', but YMMV

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment