U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 AM

770 posts, read 953,953 times

Advertisements

I am just curious about others' expereinces with companies getting back to them with the "yay" or "Nay" after a job interview. I got offered a job right on the spot and others I've had to wait weeks. Currently, I'm waiting on my 3rd or 4th week now and I was told "at the end of the week". One place took 3 months (and it was a "no").
What about you guys? How often do you call when waiting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 AM

1,777 posts, read 2,693,255 times
went to an interview, was told to come back the next day and speak to another manager (first interview was saturday, second on sunday) and i started on monday..

Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 AM

19,081 posts, read 12,558,256 times
At my co, which is the first place I've worked outside uni, I initially interviewed as a contractor (temp). I interviewed with the dept I'd be working for and about 30 min. after I left I received a call from the recruiter with a yay. When I applied for a perm position at the same co, but different dept, it took about a week IIRC. It depends on everybody's schedule. When we hire, we have to find time for everyone to meet, and if some folk are out of town, that can drag things on. There was one ocassion when one of the people we were interviewing had to cancel for a medical emergency so that put off the whole process a couple of weeks. Of course, the other people that were already intereviewed didn't know this and it probably added some anxiety for them.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:26 PM

23,990 posts, read 32,322,325 times
I've had on the spot offers, and I've had offers over a month later. I don't think there is any set answer.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 PM

709 posts, read 1,212,711 times
For my current job, it was over a month from the interview to the call from Human Resources. I knew I should have gotten the job because I was very well qualified and aced the test, so I was rather flummoxed when weeks went by and I did not get the call I expected. I've since learned that's just the way my company does things. They do a background check and verify work experience, etc., before extending a job offer.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 4,032,798 times
last two jobs I had (professional): two months for one, and one month for the other

other jobs I had:

RGIS Inventory: 15 seconds
convenience store: 15 seconds
McDonald's: 15 seconds

Old 10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
FBJ

35,114 posts, read 24,335,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
I am just curious about others' expereinces with companies getting back to them with the "yay" or "Nay" after a job interview. I got offered a job right on the spot and others I've had to wait weeks. Currently, I'm waiting on my 3rd or 4th week now and I was told "at the end of the week". One place took 3 months (and it was a "no").
What about you guys? How often do you call when waiting?

Let's see, I had a total of 8 interviews in 4 months

1st interview-received a rejection email a week after the interview

2nd Interview-received a rejection letter 4 days after interview

3rd interview-received a rejection email 2 weeks after interview

4th interview-received a rejection a week later

5th interview-Never heard from the company again

6th interview-was called back for a 2nd interview a week later, was called back for a 3rd interview a week later and offered the job 2 weeks later

7th interiew-was offered the job the next day

8th interview-was offered the job 5 days later

Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,679 times
Default annoyed with the work force

i had an interview and I really felt as if the interview went well. the interviewer was pretty blatant that i had a lot of experience in the field and stated that there were three more interviews she had to do. she stated that she hoped i would still be around for a second interview in case they were to call. I don't get that... was she trying to just butter me up? I sent a thank you letter and it has been 6 days. Im so worried they may have found someone else. Its been so hard for me to find work that im almost about to give up and just live a life of homelessness. #damnjobmarket

Old 08-26-2013, 11:32 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,678,156 times
It always varies from place to place. One thing for sure, if they are interested, they will keep in close contact with you (by giving updates, exact time frames, next steps, etc) because they don't want to lose you. If you are not getting updated while waiting, I would say that you should follow-up with them.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 AM

19 posts, read 25,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It always varies from place to place. One thing for sure, if they are interested, they will keep in close contact with you (by giving updates, exact time frames, next steps, etc) because they don't want to lose you. If you are not getting updated while waiting, I would say that you should follow-up with them.
When you say close contact, do you only mean pro-actively on their end or prompt responses to status inquiries too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment