Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 PM

467 posts, read 778,128 times

Advertisements

What type of clearances are we talking about, and what types of clearances can be pursued without a sponsor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 PM

303 posts, read 1,561,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
What type of clearances are we talking about, and what types of clearances can be pursued without a sponsor?

You can't get a clearance without a sponsor. The type of clearances are TS/SCI, Q etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 PM

467 posts, read 778,128 times
It sounds like "clearance" in this context has a more specific meaning than just the generic meaning of the word. I don't know squat about clearances, but I think one worthwhile clearance might be a "TWIC" card? I've seen a few places ask for it, and I think it's something you can get without a sponsor, though I believe a bit expensive.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you go onto www.FederalSoup.com, there's a background investigator that is on there several times a week, and answers questions for people.

Yes, a clearance will help get you a job - clearances talk money. When I worked for DOD, I had very high clearances, and I sure wish that I had them now. I've been on unemployment since March, and trying to get back into the federal government. If they were still using paper applications, I would have been back in by now.
Yeah baby, you got that right.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 AM

98 posts, read 99,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
You can't get a clearance without a sponsor. The type of clearances are TS/SCI, Q etc.
There are also Confidential and Secret clearances, which are the most common.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:49 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
I've had clearance for almost 7 years. When I resigned my previous position 1.5 years ago to seek warmer climates and higher pay, I made it apparent on my resume and in my interviews that I had a currently active secret clearance.

It makes a difference when the company trying to hire you needs you to become productive ASAP. If you don't have a clearance, you have a minimum of 4 weeks to get your interim clearance so that you can start reading secret-level documents or go into secret laboratories to do your work.

If you look like a candidate that can produce from day 1, they will not only shell out extra cash, but they it definitely gives you a leg-up versus other candidates. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get a secret clearance without being in a 'need-to-know' situation. So, you probably can't apply for a clearance unless you have a job that requires it.

Also to note: if you had a clearance that went inactive less than 5 years ago it is pretty much just as good as an active clearance. A simple form submitted by your new company sponsor can reactivate in a minimal amount of time. If it has been greater than 5 years, you have to resubmit all that paperwork and possibly do the briefing/interview again.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berneke View Post
Clearances can be hard to come by these days considering everything going on in the world. If you've done a lot of traveling, ever been arrested for even something minor, are having financial trouble, and so on, a clearance can be denied.

That is sort of misleading. You can have an arrest record and still get a clearance. You have to be completely honest when you submit your application.

Even with an arrest record I was able to get a clearance for a govt job I previously held. It really depends on what the offense was and how long ago. Just make sure you reveal everything because they will find out and you can be denied for not putting it on your application.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
That is sort of misleading. You can have an arrest record and still get a clearance. You have to be completely honest when you submit your application.

Even with an arrest record I was able to get a clearance for a govt job I previously held.
I'm all for being completely honest when filling out the clearance paperwork. That's what I did. But I remember the HR dept head at my old company telling me "look, whatever you might have snorted, shot up or smoked at college doesn't belong on this paperwork."

Supposedly, they had had a few employees who were denied clearance because they claimed they smoked marijuana in college and took other illicit drugs. The company wasn't allowed to make their employment contingent on acquiring secret clearance, so the company had to put these people in other departments.

I don't know. What someone does is up to them. Maybe the story I heard from this guy was an urban myth.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Clearance is only good if you happen to live in DC metro area, or you only want to focus on federal government work. Outside of that in commercial/private industries, clearance means nothing.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM

98 posts, read 99,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post

Even with an arrest record I was able to get a clearance for a govt job I previously held. It really depends on what the offense was and how long ago. Just make sure you reveal everything because they will find out and you can be denied for not putting it on your application.
This is true. I was being investigated for a job with the DEA several years ago. I had to tell them that I had been arrested once for marijuana, a LONG time ago. They had no problem with that as long as I was honest and no longer a user.

BTW, I wasn't even a "user" when I was busted, it was someone else in my car that was holding the stuff. I paid a $50 fine at the time and have never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment