U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-27-2009, 01:02 PM

92 posts, read 204,555 times
Default the smelly coworker

There is a gal who sits next to me who smells so bad every time she walks by I get a little nauseous. Here's a little history. The gal is probably in her mid to upper 50's. She smokes like a chimney and showers probably once a week. She used to wear this horrible perfume to try to cover up the smoke smell but HR asked her not to wear it anymore b/c people within the department were having trouble with allergies b/c it was so strong. Anyway what can a person do about a smelly rude coworker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM

6,986 posts, read 12,227,170 times
I would go out and buy travel size containers of deodorant, soap, shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, and whatever else you think she needs. Then I would put it all in a small gift bag and leave it on her chair at work after or before business hours. Perhaps she will get the idea.

Unread 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,629,870 times
Is her birthday coming up? If you can make it til Christmas, maybe a few coworkers can chip in and give her a nice Bath & Body Works set (they have sales ALL the time). If the gift idea won't work, maybe a female coworker or two could give her some small BBW items occasionally - "I got this for free but I don't want it."

Unread 10-27-2009, 03:33 PM

21,241 posts, read 26,711,115 times
It sounds to me like half the problem isn't BO but the pervasive smell of cigarette smoke. With really heavy smokers the smell permeates into their pores, their clothing, everything. The only way to fix the problem is by having the person quit smoking and launder everything they own with an odor killing detergent, repaint all walls in their homes, have all upholstery and carpeting in their home and car deep cleaned, etc.

In all honesty the last thing to do is give this person anything like cologne--she obviously already knows she stinks because they used to pile the cologne on until HR told them to stop.

In my opinioin the best course of action is to discretely go to HR and ask for them to intervene.

She might not be able to fix the smoke smell (although with regular launderign of clothing it will help) but she certainly needs to be encouraged to bathe daily, including hair washing, and use deoderant.

Unread 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM

6,226 posts, read 5,801,014 times
HR needs to deal with this issue. If enough people are willing to go to HR about this issue they will have to do something about it.

Unread 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM

6,770 posts, read 12,501,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
HR needs to deal with this issue. If enough people are willing to go to HR about this issue they will have to do something about it.
I agree. Too many people need jobs these days and should not have to put up with someone who stinks.

As an aside, today my husband and I were in CVS and this woman STUNK like an ashtray. It was repulsive. How should could stand herself was a mystery.

Unread 10-27-2009, 05:14 PM

12,397 posts, read 12,449,622 times
I've seen an entire floor wing of an IT Dept smell like b.o. garlic and curry... without getting into it, it was what it was.

Unread 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM

3,086 posts, read 664,876 times
Used to work with a guy who had B.O. really bad at times, at least he must of showered more than your gal. Someone put some deodorant in his locker, and he got all P.O..He was from part of Europe where they don't use such a thing, they like their own unique manly aroma. Sounds like your gal, or situation is somewhat different, but maybe H.R. could do something.

Unread 10-27-2009, 06:13 PM

9,032 posts, read 7,959,383 times
I have a co-worker that stinks.
The thing I hate is that we work in such small quarters behind the desk area and sometimes I worry my other co-workers think it's me.

It has gotten so bad at times, the chairs (we have fabric on them) have started to smell. (Too bad they don't have a smiley that vomits...)

In any case, I am not the type to bring it up. She seems like a nice woman (I don't work with her a lot) but I wish she would smell herself one day and realize how bad it really is.

She's overweight and I think that plays a part. She may not be able to reach everywhere and....yeah...

Unread 10-27-2009, 06:15 PM

7,574 posts, read 7,977,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

She's overweight and I think that plays a part. She may not be able to reach everywhere and....yeah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment