Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 AM

429 posts, read 1,112,837 times

Advertisements

So, I recently realized that internships are getting harder to get, and I figured it may be because students are applying for them in droves now, for that extra experience. I also think it may be because a lot of recent graduates are doing them to get some work experience because of the bad economy.

DC internships are hard enough. But even in the rest of the country, quality internships are becoming scarce. And the rest of the internships seem to be free but crappy ways to get people to work in your office while not paying them during this recession.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:55 AM

968 posts, read 2,610,444 times
I would also factor that internships are likely less needed as there is a larger population of out of place/misplaced workers with education and experience under their belt who are willing to do double the work for half of the pay without the need to be trained.

My advice would be to reach out to fellow alumni about internship opportunities as they would likely be in the know more than merely visiting a firm's website or a job board. Are the alumni active within your college community, career services office, or academic departments? While I never interned, a lot of the opportunities shared within my departments where leads from professors given by alumni.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 PM

15,774 posts, read 21,283,299 times
I live outside of Boston so there are a plethora of college students to draw upon for free labor. I get experience, sure, but have to work another part time job on top of 15 hours a week at my internship, 17 hours in class, and 30+ a week studying (more during finals/midterms/papers due). I can see my grades taking a hit but I need both money and career related work experience. Nothing is paying now.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM

11,242 posts, read 18,711,826 times
If you look up some articles on the subject, you'll find that in some and growing cases, "parents with influence" are getting internships for their kids. Worse, some are (legally) PAYING to get their kids an internship. So now companies are not only getting "free labor", but they are getting paid to provide labor. Sickening!

If we keep having a growing group of "unemployable" people, I can't imagine what will happen.....

Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,005,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I live outside of Boston so there are a plethora of college students to draw upon for free labor. I get experience, sure, but have to work another part time job on top of 15 hours a week at my internship, 17 hours in class, and 30+ a week studying (more during finals/midterms/papers due). I can see my grades taking a hit but I need both money and career related work experience. Nothing is paying now.
Yes, it used to be good to live near a college because of the job opportunities but I think (as you stated) that many of our local jobs/college jobs are being doled out to students as internships or whatever. I was a student, too, and yes, you need money and experience. In an ideal world you could focus more on your grades and schoolwork, not 'scrapping for cash.'

Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 PM

15,774 posts, read 21,283,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, it used to be good to live near a college because of the job opportunities but I think (as you stated) that many of our local jobs/college jobs are being doled out to students as internships or whatever. I was a student, too, and yes, you need money and experience. In an ideal world you could focus more on your grades and schoolwork, not 'scrapping for cash.'
My internship supervisor is more than sympathetic. I work in our local recycling office and she thinks that she will either be laid off or the office will close when she retires in the next year or two. Up until the last few years, she was able to pay the interns but as she had to lay off her two part time staff members, obviously intern responsibilities go up and payment disappears.

Many of the "internships" my friends do are certainly replacing paid jobs. The local government is really encouraging interns because of the two top tier colleges in town. Top notch talent that you don't have to pay and can work to the bone.

I love my internship but have to leave it next semester because it's seriously hit my savings and I can't graduate with only $2000 in the bank.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,396,955 times
I agree with all of the posts on this thread, but 7 Wishes' post worries me the most. The other day I, in a sarcastically kidding vein, told a friend that I wished there was someone we could just pay for a job. I imagine that it would be cheaper than all of the savings, lost interest and lost income that I've been through. If certain individuals can legally "pay" their way into internships, are regular positions far behind?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 AM

11,242 posts, read 18,711,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I agree with all of the posts on this thread, but 7 Wishes' post worries me the most. The other day I, in a sarcastically kidding vein, told a friend that I wished there was someone we could just pay for a job. I imagine that it would be cheaper than all of the savings, lost interest and lost income that I've been through. If certain individuals can legally "pay" their way into internships, are regular positions far behind?
I wish I could find the article, one of them was in the NY Times a few months ago or so.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,396,955 times
7 Wishes, I want to thank you again for mentioning the article. I'll do some research this weekend, hopefully, and see what I can dig up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment