Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:52 PM

905 posts, read 3,453,969 times

Advertisements

For the past couple of years I have thought about doing tax prep. It looks like this year I need to do tax prep. LOL.

I was hoping someone could share their experiences with working for either of these two companies.

What is involved with training or certification?

How much money can one expect to make during tax season?

How do they pay you? By the hour or the form or return?

I would appreciate any and all advice about becoming a tax preparer.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I worked for H&R Block last tax season as a Client Service Coordinator. That's what they call the receptionists. It pays $9.00 per hour, and I worked steadily from 1/15 until 2/24, after which it totally died until the end of March, and I didn't work. My Office Leader asked me to return this year, so I've already applied again online, and am just waiting to be notified as to when they're having interviews. You have to reapply and be interviewed every year.

Tax preparers are paid $10.00 per hour, and when you first start about all you do are the simple in state returns with W-2's, and you don't make much of a commission from those. The commissions come from the larger returns, and the more experienced tax preparers get those, and you have to work your way up to get them. You have to take their training class which I believe is about $300. But if you're an employee, it only costs $20 to take the tax classes. I would start as a receptionist, and take the tax classes after tax season is over. If you're a tax preparer, each year you have to take more tax classes to be remployed.

Their hours are flexible, you can work as little or as much as you want. But during "peak" season, you can get a lot of hours, then they'll cut your hours down until it picks up again.

I would assume that Jackson Hewitt is the same way with their training classes. Lots of people that do taxes for these companies have other jobs, and use it for extra income.

If you have any more questions, let me know. If I can't answer them, I'll call my friend that does taxes for H&R Block for an answer. She's been working for them for five years.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
I've worked at both. I got paid an hourly wage. Some people at Block worked only on a commission basis--they only got paid when they were doing returns. Not being paid on a commission basis, it did not behoove me to jump somebody's bill up, because I'd get paid the same no matter what.

There is some indication that you are charged by the form. So, for example, if you already have no tax liability, is there a point in filling out a Form 2441, so you can "save" $20, when the form costs $25?

Both have in-house training. I paid for the training at Block, something like $100, but that was one time only. When I started working for Jackson Hewitt, they didn't even require me to pay for training...probably because I already had a few years experience under my belt. Each has their own proprietary software which guides the preparer through the return. Honestly, if you understand what you're doing, and are good with numbers already, it really shouldn't be all that hard. But sometimes, people won't know what they're doing. Had a friend complete his return with TurboTax, and he forgot he was entitled to Form 8880.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
I had an interview with Jackson-Hewitt on a Monday, they called the following Thursday, inviting me to the class starting the next Monday and I got the okay to pay for my books at that time. They called Friday telling me they'd sold the last set of books and I was uninvited to the class.

I'd say I think Jackson-Hewitt is a third rate company with it's head up its corporate butt and typical lack of concern for people but that would be far too generous.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
I worked for them for one season. Worst job, ever. First off, you have to pay like 200$ for the training course. Then buy an insurance bond. After everything is said and done you've already invested well over 1,000$ (in time, travel expenses etc). Then you work for 10$/hr. No job guaranteed, no guaranteed hours. Some people took the course, passed it and everything then they went to interview. They didn't get the job and were told to leave, after all the time and money they invested. You could probably make more money collecting aluminum cans from the trash bin. I am not kidding.

Plus lots of people are doing their taxes themselves these days with turbo tax. Its cheaper. At the office I worked, paid returns were down 15%.

Paid tax prep is a dead field, don't bother going into it.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 73,613 times
I work for jackson Hewitt as a tax preparer and a manager. they offer two different contract you choose. you have to get your cliental up to make those $. so its up to you. Bi-weekly i made around $700 or more on a hourly salary. now this year i will be a receptionist at H&R block. its really up to you i say go for it. its fun i love it. just make sure you learn the work so you dont mess up. people will fight for that money.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM

243 posts, read 1,629,821 times
What are the hours like? How are they with nights and weekends? Do you think it would be good for someone with a normal 9-5?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Don't waste your time and money.

If you want to put out the money to take the classes, you'll never recoup it. If you make it through the classes, all they let you do are the 1040EZ's, and they let you go as soon it slows down. Plus, they do them for free, so you won't get a commission on them. Plus, they lower the comissions every year. They're trying to get rid of the people that have been there for years making larger commissions, replacing them with new people.

They're a ripoff, they overcharge you, and I'm finished with them myself. I have a friend who has his own tax business (sole proprieter), and he's not only better than H&R Block and the others, but he charges way less. He did three amendments for me to take care of the problem that Jackson-Hewitt caused with my Schedule C.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,254 times
I have a friend whose father has a few HR Block franchises. He is going to be closing some due to the fact so many people no longer use paid tax prep.

It was something she had told me about late last year-- so for what it is worth you have that to contend with.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 74,103 times
I am a FYTP going through my first 'dress rehearsal' training this evening. I was looking for what to expect - will I mostly be observing or participating the first night, what type of training activities are done, what type of feedback should be expected, and what level of competence will be expected. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment