Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 AM

188 posts, read 974,799 times

Advertisements

Ok, this may not be the right place to post this but here goes. I have noticed here lately that some of the people that work at the local employment office have attitudes. I do not mean they all have attitudes or it is at every employment office. (So please do not think I am dogging them all) I have been out of work since January ( 09) and have been looking every week like I am supposed to. May I make a few suggestions for those of you who work there..
1. Not everyone who is laid off is lazy. There are actually some of us who need a job. Don't treat us like we are just living off of the government.
2. Have some compassion for those out of work. I watched a girl leave in tears the other day because she cant draw because she is pregnant. You told her she should have thought about that before she got pregnant. Is that any of your business??
3. Be thankful you have a job. I know people who have lost their homes because of job loss. You could be next...the government is not as stable as you think.
4. Those of us who are laid off didn't cause our job loss. The company I worked for has moved over seas. I couldn't stop it, neither could the other 200 people that worked there.
5. Don't roll your eyes or snicker at us behind our backs. This actually happened to me the other day. I told you thank you and have a nice day. Then I left. Was I mad? Yep. But I kept my cool and didnt say anything out of the way. The next person you wait on may not take it so easily.

I know that you deal with alot of people during the day and that some of them may not be as friendly as others. I'm sorry if the person before me was hateful to you. I am not going to be that way, so you shouldn't have to be that way to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 10:34 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
" work at the local employment office have attitudes."

I've run into this with a lot of government employees no matter where they work, city, county, state or federal..

For some reason they think they are special because they have a government job.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I've noticed it a lot with people of various trades.

Our handyman where I live is one of them. He acts like a new appliance comes out of his pocket.

Sorry he has to stop what he is doing and 'fix' things but it's his job.

As far as unemployment dept. crew, well, it's the unemployed who keep them EMPLOYED so they should not have attitudes.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
2. Have some compassion for those out of work. I watched a girl leave in tears the other day because she cant draw because she is pregnant. You told her she should have thought about that before she got pregnant. Is that any of your business??.
No it is not any of their business, but it really irks me when women think they should have some kind of special treatment just because they are pregnant.

Sadly your experiences at the employment office were not unusual. When I have gone there in the past, I try to imagine what kind of insanity they must deal with on a daily basis. They should not take their frustrations out on customers, but still, I'm sure it's not an easy job right now.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 AM

335 posts, read 1,311,232 times
Now, it is not just people at the employment office but ones which are LUCKY ENOUGHto still have jobs. I am at the point to where they should be the ones kicked to the curb and their job given to us, the ones who would appreciate having it without the attitude.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've noticed it a lot with people of various trades.

Our handyman where I live is one of them. He acts like a new appliance comes out of his pocket.

Sorry he has to stop what he is doing and 'fix' things but it's his job.

As far as unemployment dept. crew, well, it's the unemployed who keep them EMPLOYED so they should not have attitudes.
The difference is, you can fire his ass for having an attitude..

Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM

96 posts, read 620,121 times
I've gotten more attitude from our neighbors than the people at the employment office.They act like a bunch of sanctimonious jerks with the "I'm working why aren't you" attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment