Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 AM

87 posts, read 290,449 times

Advertisements

I am in a bad situation. My boss is literally a disaster to work for. He is doing everything he can to make my life miserable so I quit. Everything he is doing is legit, such as making me travel every night, do extra projects, putting me under the microscope every day. He wants to replace me with one of his buddies who is currently is a lower position.

I have known him for 15 years with this company and have loathed him all of that time. Now due to a promotion he is my boss.

I want to go to HR, but I fear he may make it worse on me if I do. Like I said, he is doing things to make me miserable, but they are work related. many co-workers are telling me to go to HR because if they were treated that way they would complain.

I worry about REALLY getting on his bad side by going to HR. My boss has a reputation of picking out one worker and bullying them. Now it's me.

I am looking for other work, but as we all know that is tough.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,428 times
I know we're in a recession, but I'd just start applying to other jobs. You never know, you may get lucky. I was working in retail and I hated my job. It was just really unfulfilling in general, but I got lucky and got my current govt job. While it's not glamorous, it's a HUGE step up.

You might catch something a tad better. And I hear that TX is doing fairly better than the rest of the south in terms of jobs so I'd try and retain some optimism and start job hunting.

As for your boss being a big meanie, I'd just bear it until you find better. It sucks but you can't really afford to quit. No one can right now.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Confront him/her face to face with no one around... I had to do that many years a go and it fixed my problem...I told the guy if his sh#t did not stop that we would both be going before the BIG BOSS and get it out into the open..It stopped that day.....Just be able to back up what you say to this person, like with what he/she is doing and with dates...write thing down in a small notebook and bring it out when you confront him/her.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
I was going to mention the same thing as Houston3 has said.....make sure you write everything down including times and dates AND if there were any witnesses. I know how difficult it must be for you but hang in there and keep looking for another job.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusheib View Post
I am in a bad situation. My boss is literally a disaster to work for. He is doing everything he can to make my life miserable so I quit. Everything he is doing is legit, such as making me travel every night, do extra projects, putting me under the microscope every day. He wants to replace me with one of his buddies who is currently is a lower position.

I have known him for 15 years with this company and have loathed him all of that time. Now due to a promotion he is my boss.

I want to go to HR, but I fear he may make it worse on me if I do. Like I said, he is doing things to make me miserable, but they are work related. many co-workers are telling me to go to HR because if they were treated that way they would complain.

I worry about REALLY getting on his bad side by going to HR. My boss has a reputation of picking out one worker and bullying them. Now it's me.

I am looking for other work, but as we all know that is tough.

Any advice?

Do your job well. Exceed his demands, no matter how insane they seem. Don't get upset, always seem cheerful and glad to be at work when you are around him. To everyone else in the office he will quickly seem like the bad guy. If you 'hate him back' then it is a mini-war in the office and really anything goes. If you act nice, no matter what, then he is just an a**hole acting unreasonably. Other people (including his boss) will quickly notice.

As counterintuitive as it sounds, if I were you I would volunteer for extra work on top of what he is giving you. When he 'puts you under the microscope' fix the things he complained about then go back to him and ask if you are doing better. Do this and you will look like the good guy in the situation.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 AM

87 posts, read 290,449 times
Thanks for the advice. I work in field sales, so a lot of what he does is not seen by others. I do have notes on what he has done.

Also, he is big into sexual harrassment of women (not me - I am a man). The company was involved ina lawsuit with my boss in October 2008 and the woman won. He was promoted a month after that if you can believe it.

When we are at restaurants he will ask young waitresses if they "shave" themselves. He will also make other comments. He also uses the "N" word in reference to African Americans. This happens all of the time. He'll say it when they don't hear, like while we are riding in the car. He also called me a "N" once, even though I am a white male.

This goes on and on. I would love to bring all of this up, but I am not a bold person. I'm leaving this company no matter what, and would like to just bide my time. Maybe I should bring all of this out though...I'm afraid I might have a heart attack doing that though.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I work in field sales, so a lot of what he does is not seen by others. I do have notes on what he has done.

Also, he is big into sexual harrassment of women (not me - I am a man). The company was involved ina lawsuit with my boss in October 2008 and the woman won. He was promoted a month after that if you can believe it.

When we are at restaurants he will ask young waitresses if they "shave" themselves. He will also make other comments. He also uses the "N" word in reference to African Americans. This happens all of the time. He'll say it when they don't hear, like while we are riding in the car. He also called me a "N" once, even though I am a white male.

This goes on and on. I would love to bring all of this up, but I am not a bold person. I'm leaving this company no matter what, and would like to just bide my time. Maybe I should bring all of this out though...I'm afraid I might have a heart attack doing that though.

If this is the case then ignore my last post completely - go straight to HR. Keep documenting everything so you have something quantitative. It might be a good idea to have another job lined up first, just in case, but before you quit definately this up. Someone like that shouldn't be allowed to get away with that stuff.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,345 times
Smile All great advice...

This is all great advice.
Keep your job WHILE you look for a better one. It is easier to find work while being employed than while being unemployed.
Document everything and forward all emails from/to the boss to another email account that you can access in case you are suddenly let go for ANY reason. I do this and have never regretted it. If you never need to use it against him - fine, if you do - priceless! You must always CYA!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
I was once in an untenable job situation. I'd been on a business trip and was relentlessly harasssed by my male coworker. What I did upon returning from that trip was to write myself an email with every single thing he said. I waited for a year to see if things would improve. They didn't. That trip ruined me. I gave my notice. On the last day I quit included the date stamped email from the previous year with a long email to HR, two VPS, my boss. I did that an hour before I walked out the door. To this day (and it's been six years), I can still not read that email.

In retrospect and in your situation, I've give things three months. I would document every single thing and like the above poster says, send it to my personal email account. I'd give it three months to demonstrate good will and enough time for your boss to really hang himself. Then I'd go to HR and let them know everything had been documented and see what they say. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
Quote:
Most people use the "N" word on a daily basis when in private company, it is a term of endearment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment