Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 02:26 PM

257 posts, read 407,594 times

Advertisements

I'm curious. What do the people who need to make money to survive do, when they are unemployed and can't find another job? Do they get kicked onto the streets? Do they move into a family or friends house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 02:28 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,905 times
I moved in with family. I am lucky, some people don't have that option. I'm also still getting UI but once that runs out I will be doing whatever odd job I can do to make money. If people don't have family or friends, then I guess they end up in their cars or at shelters. Or, at the worst, completely homeless. It's a very sad state of things. :-(

Old 11-07-2009, 02:29 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I'm curious. What do the people who need to make money to survive do, when they are unemployed and can't find another job? Do they get kicked onto the streets? Do they move into a family or friends house?
Yes, and yes. There are a lot of people becoming homeless as a result of this whole mess and many more moving in with family and friends.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Yes, and yes. There are a lot of people becoming homeless as a result of this whole mess and many more moving in with family and friends.
I've read numerous accounts of people moving in with family in friends. In many instances, the good will/hospitality "runs out" at some point (a few months appears to be the limit in many cases), the situation becomes "too stressful" and then the individual finds themselves in a homeless shelter.

Dear God, what a world we now live in.

I have given large amounts of money and let unemployed people live in my home rent-free for extended periods of time and would do so again.

I cannot imagine "kicking out" someone in that situation just because I was "sick of the stress," but in the Oprah Winfrey culture we live in, the individuals "needs and wants" are supposed to be the centre of the universe, not the needs of others.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:44 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I've read numerous accounts of people moving in with family in friends. In many instances, the good will/hospitality "runs out" at some point (a few months appears to be the limit in many cases), the situation becomes "too stressful" and then the individual finds themselves in a homeless shelter.

Dear God, what a world we now live in.

I have given large amounts of money and let unemployed people live in my home rent-free for extended periods of time and would do so again.

I cannot imagine "kicking out" someone in that situation just because I was "sick of the stress," but in the Oprah Winfrey culture we live in, the individuals "needs and wants" are supposed to be the centre of the universe, not the needs of others.
Isn't this the truth? Right now I am blessed to have wonderful human beings in my life as friends. My one friend held so many pets as they were put to sleep and used to even bring in dogs to her home on their last leg and give them happiness before they had to be put to sleep. My other friend is printing out T-Shirts at her cost to benefit an organization. I have met some of the *best* people on this planet in the past few months and I'm proud to call them my friends. It's in times like these, very tough times, we really do see someone's true character.

And, as a sidenote, my two friends met EACH OTHER feeding homeless people at the Circle K. There are STILL good people out there.

Last edited by movin'on; 11-07-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 11-07-2009, 03:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
I am moving in with family, as my benefits have now run out. I will use my retirement savings for food and other expenses, and then collect food stamps and use the area food bank when that runs out.

Last winter there were reported cases of people dying because they were unemployed. Some had a home but couldn't afford to heat it and blankets weren't enough to keep them warm. Some lost their homes and tried to camp in the dead of winter without adequate gear. I imagine the situation will be worse this year than last.

The sad truth is many of these people will never make it back into the mainstream workforce. Without an address and a telephone it will be virtually impossible to get a decent job. Even if they overcome that, their enormous debts and emotional trauma of their experience will keep them on the fringes of society forever.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
If it keeps up and the numbers keep growing big enough, rioting on the streets I fear.

The shooting in Orlando yesterday was a bad sign.......

Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
I am so done giving money to people. They borrow the money, then go and never pay you back. You know they have disposable income, because they go to the movies or get tanked at the bar. Soooooo done with that. Family are the only ones I will let borrow money, because they always pay it back.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:01 PM

56 posts, read 100,908 times
I wonder, with the increase of homelessness, hunger, malnutrition, tanked credit (like mine), etc... why these issues are not being covered on the news?

I would think that it's pretty serious. I remember seeing people in Southern California... FAMILIES.... living in a minivan at a truck stop.

This is not something to trifle over. If this is increasing, the general public should know about it. Gives me the jeebies just thinking about it.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
I took in a stranger I found at Safeway one rainy afternoon. He'd become underemployed and out of his apartment all in very short order. He's been sleeping on our couch now for a month and a half. Very nice guy.

There but for the grace of god go I.

People are living however they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment