Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:01 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times

Advertisements

Try a different alarm. The radio never did wake me up. I needed one with a deep bass tone.

I will also agree that you should keep the same sleep schedule on the weekends. Maybe give yourself an extra hour, but no more.

I'm not a morning person either, but I have a good enough work ethic to be 10 minutes early each and every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 03:33 PM

429 posts, read 1,116,363 times
See, that's just it. This past week, I've been ON TIME to work every day, and I was really proud of myself. I was going to bed at 10pm, and that was working for me. I really don’t know what happened this morning, but it’s making me look bad. I think my alarm didn’t go off again. I don’t think cell phone alarms are that reliable. Sometimes, my phone just randomly shuts off. And sometimes it’s not even that…It’s that damn snooze button haha. I have the work ethic. I want to work, and I enjoy going to work and getting paid. But when I’m late to work, it just throws me off for the entire day because I feel like such a bad employee.

I think I’m gonna try the ‘stay on the same schedule’ thing. I’m sure that will help me some, but it’s gonna be hard with the alarm clock thing, because my roommate wakes up to the lightest sounds, including my walking around in the morning or birds outside. If I had a loud alarm clock, it’d wake her up and she’ll not be happy about that.

I work hard and I try to do my best. It’s just getting to work. I just don’t want to be fired. I’d fall into a long ugly depression.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:07 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
I have a roommate. I'd love to have my alarm on really loud, and far away, but it'd wake her up and then she won't sleep well for work either.
Get another place to live with two bedrooms. You cannot continue to be late. There are really no excuses for being late on the job unless you have a personal problem. If you do, see a Dr.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:09 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
See, that's just it. This past week, I've been ON TIME to work every day, and I was really proud of myself. I was going to bed at 10pm, and that was working for me. I really don’t know what happened this morning, but it’s making me look bad. I think my alarm didn’t go off again. I don’t think cell phone alarms are that reliable. Sometimes, my phone just randomly shuts off. And sometimes it’s not even that…It’s that damn snooze button haha. I have the work ethic. I want to work, and I enjoy going to work and getting paid. But when I’m late to work, it just throws me off for the entire day because I feel like such a bad employee.

I think I’m gonna try the ‘stay on the same schedule’ thing. I’m sure that will help me some, but it’s gonna be hard with the alarm clock thing, because my roommate wakes up to the lightest sounds, including my walking around in the morning or birds outside. If I had a loud alarm clock, it’d wake her up and she’ll not be happy about that.

I work hard and I try to do my best. It’s just getting to work. I just don’t want to be fired. I’d fall into a long ugly depression.
I'm sorry, but buy THREE different alarm clocks. Sleep on the sofa. Just get your butt outta bed and to work.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I'm sorry, but buy THREE different alarm clocks. Sleep on the sofa. Just get your butt outta bed and to work.
That's exactly right. There's no excuse. This is passive aggression. Man up, original poster! You're out of school, now on to adult responsibility. Just. Wake. Up. On. Time.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:42 PM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Move your alarm clock to across the room, do not hit the snooze button. When the alarm goes off, wake up and get moving.

Go to bed and wake up around the same time every day. Usually I wake up before the alarm clock goes off. Rarely I sleep in on weekends. I'm usually in bed little after 10:00 pm and I wake up daily at 5:30 AM. Thank goodness for DVR's so I can record shows!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,008,910 times
I'll chime in with the multiple alarms crowd. I used to work nights, and now school classes and clinicals are all in the morning, sometimes waking me up at 5:30 to get to the hospital. What I do is set 2 alarms on my phone(with different sounds), 5 minutes apart, then one alarm 5 minutes later that is far enough away so I have to stand up to shut it off. It didn't take too long where I'd be awake after the phone alarms and out of bed before I had to endure the noise of the other alarm. Oh, and find the most annoying alarm you can, makes you not want to hear it!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:58 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,016 times
I have to get up at 3:00am in order to be on time at 5:00. I usally get to work at 4:15 or 4:30.

Get a wind up alarm clock and throw the others aways. A true wind up will wake you up... Set it somewhere so you can't reach it with your arm.. They do not have a snooze so you know that once you turn it off, you have to stay out of the bed.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if I repeat some tips or whatever.

Put your alarm someplace where you have to get out the bed.

I have an iHome and you can have two alarms. If this is possible, try to have two go off. Maybe one goes off at 5:30 and the other goes off at 5:45.

Set an alarm on your cell phone if you have a cell phone that has alarm capabilities.

I have my days where it's hard to wake up but I have only been late for work once at the job I have now. It was because my appointment with an oral surgeon ran over.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,018,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
That's exactly right. There's no excuse. This is passive aggression. Man up, original poster! You're out of school, now on to adult responsibility. Just. Wake. Up. On. Time.

What you mean boring stressful societal conditioning? No thanks zzz. Adult responsibility to me means going and making something out of your own resources and not working for some other loser and their boring ass company. Freelance is the way to go. Screw some tosser ruling my life saying I have to be up by 5:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment