Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 08:40 AM

139 posts, read 254,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Ok, why is it all the immigrants seem to get the jobs, while the Americans are left out in the cold?

My DH and I both were laid off due to outsourcing. We've struggled in vain to find something within our field, but those fields are overrun by immigrants. We can't even snag a "survival" job, like....McDonalds.

Then today we went through the drive in of a McDonalds, gal at the window was some sort of Asian who could barely speak English, was a struggle to understand our order, got the wrong order, had to go inside and complain to the manager, I told him we should get the order free because of the inconvenience, we had to park and go inside because the gal at the window doesn't speak English. His reply, oh, she speaks English...well, not good enough. If they really want to hire an immigrant that bad, why don't they put her in the back scrubbing floors, etc? Someone has to do it. Well, then her job placement would have been based on her immigrant/English speaking status, which is discrimination, of course!

WTH is she even doing here? McDonalds are all over the world, why can't she get a job at McDonalds in China, or wherever she hails from? When the immigrants are even taking the survival jobs, that's really something. Our UE has been extended, but when that runs out, well, what's left for us? Hey, we can speak English, why can't we work the window at McDonalds? Guess that wouldn't be PC!
Maybe she is American born but was raised speaking her native language in her home. Happens a lot. No reason to ban her from public just for that.
Actually judging from your post I'd rather deal with this girl that speaks broken English than with somebody with an attitude like yours.
Good luck in your job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 04:11 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina Van Down By The River View Post
Maybe she is American born but was raised speaking her native language in her home. Happens a lot. No reason to ban her from public just for that.
Actually judging from your post I'd rather deal with this girl that speaks broken English than with somebody with an attitude like yours.
Good luck in your job search.

she can speak whatever language she likes at home, but why can't she speak English while working with the American public, unless she can't speak English, in which case she's not qualified for the job. She's just there to attract the Asian population in this area. BTW,hat's wrong with my "attitude" that I'm frustrated i can't place an order at a drive thru because tyhe gal on the window doesn;t speak English---somehow that becomes my liability? There she is, at least has a job, I know of many people who are desperately struggling to keep their homes and feed their families, who can't even get jobs at MCD's, grocery stores, etc, becuae they're "overqualified" Since when did speaking English make one "overqualified"?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
If you don't like how they run their business, go some place else. No private enterprise is forced to provide either the products or services that you want.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If you don't like how they run their business, go some place else. No private enterprise is forced to provide either the products or services that you want.

Well said. no use complaining, just don't go back.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
I doubt the McDonald's worker was specifically brought here to work on an H1b visa.

She might be an illegal alien with phony papers using someone else's social security number.

Perhaps a winner in the green card lottery.

Perhaps entered the country via an immigrant refugee program.

She may have been a sex worker/sex slave that testified against the people who smuggled her in and therefore earned her right to stay here.

She may be a result of "chain migration," which means she got here via a family member who is a US citizen.

As for your initial complaint, that she could not speak and understand english enough to do her job correctly, I agree with your frustration. They need to start her off making food perhaps instead of dealing with customers over the drive through speakers (many of which are hard to understand even if someone speaks english perfectly).

Here's a trick I use at the drive through and this is no matter what ... people who speak english can get orders wrong too. I will not pull away from the window until I have thoroughly checked my entire order. I don't care if there are 1,000 cars behind me. If I check it and there's a mistake, they have to fix it right then. No parking and going to the manager, etc.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM

149 posts, read 548,225 times
I know that the local McDonald's makes an effort to hire students from the local university. Some of these are foreigners that have permission to work part-time while attending school. I applaud businesses that give students this kind of opportunity. They may not be perfect employees but they deserve the break - no pun intended.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
I wanted a hamburger--not a hassle!

It wasn't the speaker, when I spoke with her at the window she couldn;'t understand a word I said, gave me some mish mash (oh, I know politacally incorrect) she handed me a coke only, I couldn't make her understand I had ordered a hamburger. She's clearly not qualified for the job, I could sit there all day trying to make someone understand English, or go inside and speak with the manager, I want what I ordered. You know, if they hired someone who spoke English perhaps they would have a better chance of getting the order straight? I'm tired, hungry, want my hamburger and go home, instead I'm supposed to bend over backwards to be PC!

How would it be if I went to their country, got a job when their own citizens are laid off in the millions, then couldn't even perform the job due to lack of language skills, and they were supposed to bend over to ben PC with me?

They came here, they're not slaves!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:

It wasn't the speaker, when I spoke with her at the window she couldn;'t understand a word I said, gave me some mish mash (oh, I know politacally incorrect) she handed me a coke only, I couldn't make her understand I had ordered a hamburger. She's clearly not qualified for the job, I could sit there all day trying to make someone understand English, or go inside and speak with the manager, I want what I ordered. You know, if they hired someone who spoke English perhaps they would have a better chance of getting the order straight? I'm tired, hungry, want my hamburger and go home, instead I'm supposed to bend over backwards to be PC!

How would it be if I went to their country, got a job when their own citizens are laid off in the millions, then couldn't even perform the job due to lack of language skills, and they were supposed to bend over to ben PC with me?

Maybe you are the one hard to understand. I work retail and I have talked to REAL Americans as yourself, and many times I can only understand half of what they say. Why don't you ask the manager at this McDonald if they have had similar complaints. If you are the only one then we all know the problem is yours.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

Do you really want that job? Your doing better on unemployment than someone working at McDonalds.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
our government and our business community are anti labor. they want cheap foreign labor.
this i understand what i do not understand is that american labor is anti labor. they just hate unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment