Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:17 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
It's extremely hard to stay "positive" when age, and even previous military experience can put your resume in the old can! I can totally understand that many companies don't want someone my age and the possible "health problems" that can come with that age. At my last job, I had a hip replacement and a rotator cuff surgery (from a fall). About the military experience backlash.......not everyone likes the military or knows about military jobs that relate to civilian jobs. Most of the people who have called me for a phone interview, sounded young enough to be my kids!!
Is it safe to say that you aren't able to retire just yet, LoveBoating? Or at least take a part time gig to supplement SSI and whatever other income you could have coming in as a retired person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 01:20 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Some of it is in added employee costs and some might be concerns with updating skillsets.

For a company that offers health insurance this cost of an older worker can be very significant I am in my early 60's and anything under $1,000 a month for coverage is a good deal while the cost of a single guy of 25 could be as low as $250 a month or even less.

$4 and $5 an hour in added medical insurance costs is significant.

But an older worker 65 and over offers a distinct advantage of zero health insurance cost as they are provided for under medicare.

I plan to work until at least age 70, beyond if I am able which right now looks like I will be able to, and there are lots of things I don't care about that younger workers do.

I won't have medical insurance concerns.

I could care less about paid vacations, paid holidays or paid sick time. Long term disability is of zero concern because I could just switch over to social security if need be. Once I am 70 I'll draw social security anyway and I would be happy making $20 an hour where I get $35 now. I won't care what I get paid because 1)I won't need the money and 2)I'll be working for pure enjoyment.

Depending on the industry skillsets might change.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Thanks for all the replies. I am too young to not work and too old for many things. One thing - how do I go about getting educated on all the social media? I should know about this stuff. I think not knowing how to work an I-Pod, etc DOES make me feel stupid. If I had kids I'd just have them show me. I don't even text message!

I get by just fine without all these gadgets. The last time I tried to get with the program was with the Palm Pilot. Well, a day timer works just as well. Still, I don't want to be outdated.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am too young to not work and too old for many things. One thing - how do I go about getting educated on all the social media? I should know about this stuff. I think not knowing how to work an I-Pod, etc DOES make me feel stupid. If I had kids I'd just have them show me. I don't even text message!

I get by just fine without all these gadgets. The last time I tried to get with the program was with the Palm Pilot. Well, a day timer works just as well. Still, I don't want to be outdated.
You're not alone.

What's an i-Pod?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You're not alone.

What's an i-Pod?
A gadget wherein you download music onto it. It's tiny.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:46 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
A case for your spectacles.

Don't worry about I-Pods or portable music players, that is the least of your concerns in finding a job. Just talk about the weather or sports, something that spans the generation gap. Just don't talk about your depends or how your great grand kids are so smart, the 20 something year old female won't comprehend!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
A case for your spectacles.

Don't worry about I-Pods or portable music players, that is the least of your concerns in finding a job. Just talk about the weather or sports, something that spans the generation gap. Just don't talk about your depends or how your great grand kids are so smart, the 20 something year old female won't comprehend!
LOL!

I do think it is important to stay up on the latest stuff. I just don't know where to go to educated!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:55 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Barnes and Noble or Borders has several books on these items (Amazon for the frugal buyers). You wanna free education on these gadgets? Go to Best Buy and talk with a Sales Associate. They'll tell you all about them.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:26 PM

366 posts, read 595,837 times
Older people are actually faring better than the young in this recession, statistically speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
One major difference is how older workers have fared. The number of jobs held by men over 55 is up 5.6 percent since the cycle began, and the number of jobs held by women of that age has risen by 9.3 percent.

There are fewer jobs for workers age 54 to 64 than when the cycle began, but that group has done much better than younger workers.

By contrast, younger workers were more likely to hold on to their jobs in the two previous downturns.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/14/bu.../14charts.html

Old 11-16-2009, 02:50 PM

366 posts, read 297,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I mean this seriously. Is it because I am not on Facebook? Am I perceived to be stupid because I don't have an Ipod or Iphone? Is my brain really less than it was years ago?

It is so frustrating to know this is a reality, but why should it be a reality? Am I dumb (therefore proving me to be really unworthy of hiring) because I even ask this question?

I've already omitted dates of graduation and go back no more than ten years of experience. I have no gray hair. I have had cosmetic surgery. What else do I need to do? What have you done to make yourself look younger? Look trendy and hip? Ugh. I get so tired of American culture.
Look into Relationships Matter | LinkedIn. It's a far more professional site than facebook, which I've found to be riddled with spammers, and you'll actually find some work rather than receiving emails from "Jennifer" or someone wanting to make you a "friend."

PS. Don't be put off by the "relationships matter" part of the linkedin link. It merely means that relationships matter, as in "professional" relationships. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment