Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM

31 posts, read 152,005 times

Advertisements

The following is from the U.S. Dept. Of Labors web-site regarding wages for tipped employees.

A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.

SO WHO SAYS WAITERS ARE NOT PAID MINIMUM WAGE??
There are lot of people in other minimum wage jobs in this country! No one is there is to shed tears for them!
90% of the waiters under report thier income and get food stamps! It pays to act nice, why not!!
If someone would pay everyone in real life to be nice american society would be better off!

Last edited by aluva; 11-17-2009 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 03:23 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
Sorry to disrupt your rant, but most people are referring to the direct wages when talking about waiters not being paid minimum wage, not their tips. Most people understand that the tips make up for the lower direct wages.

I'd love to see a link to the study that says 90% of waiters under-report and collect food stamps, but I'm guessing I probably won't.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM

My point is Tips or not, if waiters atleast take home minimum wage.I have seen hundreds of people say , they dont make minimum wage! To put it simply I guess the public dont understand numbers !

Last edited by aluva; 11-17-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,626 times
I don't know about the food stamps, but I believe 100% under report the tips. Ask next time "would you mind if I pay the check with a credit card and the gratuity in cash" their eyes will light up with a Sure and Thanks response

I don't blame them, seeing how the goverment spends our tax dollars

FYI, I always tip in cash if I have it on me.

Very few will say it doesn't matter and I am sure the feds know about it.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluva View Post
My point is Tips or not, if waiters atleast take home minimum wage.I have seen hundreds of people say , they dont make minimum wage! To put it simply I guess the public dont understand numbers !
I'm surprised that you think this is news? Of course most servers make well over minimum wage when you include tips. In fact, in Southern California I always made three to four times the minimum wage - it's not that hard to do.

But that doesn't change the fact that servers do indeed make minimum wage in salary.

Quote:
90% of the waiters under report thier income and get food stamps!
I've never met a server who got food stamps. Never. Not in fourteen years as a server. And why would they? As you pointed out above, it's not a minimum wage job!

Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
What's the matter Aluva, some waitress refuse to come across for ya?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
I'm surprised that you think this is news? Of course most servers make well over minimum wage when you include tips. In fact, in Southern California I always made three to four times the minimum wage - it's not that hard to do.

But that doesn't change the fact that servers do indeed make minimum wage in salary.

I've never met a server who got food stamps. Never. Not in fourteen years as a server. And why would they? As you pointed out above, it's not a minimum wage job!

Would you , others like you work as a waiter if you had no tips, but only were paid say $8 an hour?
In many coutries in Europe there is no tipping. There is no smothering either. How may Americans are willing to work like that?
It feels funny the fakeness of the american life. Also funny to see some people getting devastated by it.

What I found in The American Culture I will pay you _ you need to be nice to me, serve me well, act pleasant, act happy to see me, be cute or handsome, and Smother me and engage me in small talk. This is what the tips are for!
Girls who are cute , and would rather be waiters than strippers get paid the most.

This concept that other professions can/may get paid minimum wage but not the waiters is the proble here.

Again people come back to the same thing. They dont get the minimum wage, but they only take home miimum wage!

Last edited by aluva; 11-17-2009 at 09:41 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,099 times
Quote:
Would you , others like you work as a waiter if you had no tips, but only were paid say $8 an hour?
In many Europe there is no tipping. There is no smothering either. How may Americans are willing to work like that?
It feels funny the fakeness of the american life. Also funny to see some people get devastated by it.
Okay, I get it now. This thread isn't really about servers and how much they make - that was just a cover for you to express your dislike for America. That's fine! I love it here, and have had a great time in Europe as well. For me they're both great places - but to each his own!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 PM

366 posts, read 297,177 times
Quote:
In many coutries in Europe there is no tipping. There is no smothering either. How may Americans are willing to work like that?
It feels funny the fakeness of the american life. Also funny to see some people getting devastated by it.

What I found in The American Culture I will pay you _ you need to be nice to me, serve me well, act pleasant, act happy to see me, be cute or handsome, and Smother me and engage me in small talk. This is what the tips are for!
Girls who are cute , and would rather be waiters than strippers get paid the most.

This concept that other professions can/may get paid minimum wage but not the waiters is the proble here.

Again people come back to the same thing. They dont get the minimum wage, but they only take home miimum wage!
Smother me? What the heck is good about "smothering" someone?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Aluva....eat at home...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment