Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Sure, there are people who ARE competent and work hard. No one would dispute this, I don't think.
They know nobody actually thinks that every single upper level professional is a crook, charlatan, lazy, etc.

What they are trying to do is enforce the "hierarchy" (solely in their own minds) on the board when they make moves to squash talk of nepotism and unfairness.

They want to be the "top dogs" and think they are proving this by agreeing with the establishment (corporate management) every step of the way as they think that will signify to us that they MUST BE upper management if they agree so blindly and strongly with whatever worker abuses are foisted on common workers, while it is apparent to even the most unsophisticated member of C-D that it is a more likely bet they are merely simpering sycophants and NOT wealthy upper management.

Those of us who have disagreements with the way things are sometimes managed are libeled on here as "complete and total losers, unemployed, unpromotable," etc.

It's just their way of trying to appear to be more important and more wealthy than they really are by attempting to "shame" those of us who do not think in absolutes and who can appreciate that sometimes there are misdeeds committed by upper management in workplaces. (Their mindset equals "Duh, management is ALWAYS right! There must be something wrong with YOU in the workplace if you don't think so!")

They think the world is a seesaw and by putting us down that automatically pushes them up. Not so.

So keep on being who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Back in a "recession" of the recent past when a lot of people were looking for jobs I was hired, because, out of the 400+ resumes the HR guy received (and he showed me the stack of resumes for emphasis), I had the same first name as the HR guy's daughter, so he chose to put me on the short list of interviewees for that reason alone. (I was very young then and my skillset was probably interchangeable with a lot of people that were in that stack of resumes so I don't think there was any other way I would have stood out.)
LOL, true story, I once a job (administrative position, during the recession in the 90s) because the interviewer loved my shoes. I wish I could say I was kidding, but I'm not. After I was hired, I was a huge joke b/c it eventually got around the office. I also got a job that I was definitely NOT qualified for b/c I look strikingly like boss's daughter. I mean, I was completely shocked when I got that job--then I found out why. And, yeah, I lasted at both positions until I left.

The simple truth is the best qualified certainly don't get the job---it's all subjective. I've learned to accept it and move on. Although, I'm not above doing some scouting to learn things about potential interviewers/bosses that might help me connect durin the interview process.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I never said everyone. In fact my exact words were "some posters."
Your "some posters" appear to be those who don't blindly condone and actually dare to expose examples of whatever abuses and unfairness corporate managements might foist on their hapless workforce.

That is most of us.

If you actually only have certain people you are targeting, then please privately email them with your criticisms and your assessment of their shortcomings instead of making veiled personal attacks on here.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Somehow I don't picture Scott Adams as jealous and ignorant . And yet we laugh at his Pointy-Haired Boss character because of something writers call the "kernel of truth". It's funny because many of us can chuckle and nod our heads and say "OMG! I had a boss like that once....".

He uses humor to point out many of the flaws that are widespread in corporate culture. If it was not widespread, he would not have the large audience he does. People wouldn't "get" the strip.

So, while some of you are fortunate enought to work for apparently healthy and well-run organizations, many others are not so lucky. To dismiss their concerns is shortsighted.
I'm not dismissing anyone's concerns when they are legitimate. But there are some posters who have implied that pretty much everyone who is employed must be a lazy idiot who knew someone to get the job--especially if they are in management.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Your "some posters" appear to be those who don't blindly condone and actually dare to expose examples of whatever abuses and unfairness corporate managements might foist on their hapless workforce.

That is most of us.

If you actually only have certain people you are targeting, then please privately email them with your criticisms and your assessment of their shortcomings instead of making veiled personal attacks on here.
There is no veiled personal attack, simply very valid constructive criticism.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is no veiled personal attack, simply very valid constructive criticism.
Then please DM it to the people you are seeking to "help" instead of subjecting the rest of us to it on this thread.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:49 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Then please DM it to the people you are seeking to "help" instead of subjecting the rest of us to it on this thread.
Couldn't you have DM'd this to Annerk?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
HR handles A LOT of functions. When I think of HR in my company, staffing is the smallest and easiest function.

HR handles leaves of absences (specific plans and policies here), terminations, RIFs, bonus cycles, compensation, payroll, development, employee relations, consultative roles to managers about policies, organizational hierarchies, reporting out to the feds, and this is just a snapshot.

HR is not just the lady who submits an offer to you for a job-- that is usually but one small function.

I understand that but as companies cut other depts, there is less need to have an HR staff.

The less employees you have the less need to have a staff handling maternity leave, etc.

I have worked at two major universities and at both schools HR was pretty much useless.

If you wanted to transfer to another dept. it was known go to that dept. head and avoid HR....lol

My point is there are a lot of HR people looking for work as well.

FYI- payroll in most companies is another dept.

Never found HR to very helpful.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
HR is unhelpful because the department hasn't been developed. They hire underdeveloped people and then have disorganized policies, rules, and duties, and inept supervisors. Instead of wasting cash and human capital they should be developing their departments. Of course that doesn't happen. People just want to snicker and roll their eyes and blame it on "personality conflicts" or "oh that department has always been useless". So who's job is it to fix that problem? The vice president and the president. Don't they look at turn over rate, appraisals, grievances, internal feedback, and roi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I understand that but as companies cut other depts, there is less need to have an HR staff.

The less employees you have the less need to have a staff handling maternity leave, etc.

I have worked at two major universities and at both schools HR was pretty much useless.

If you wanted to transfer to another dept. it was known go to that dept. head and avoid HR....lol

My point is there are a lot of HR people looking for work as well.

FYI- payroll in most companies is another dept.

Never found HR to very helpful.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Universities in general are poorly managed. Bad people skills, poor hiring strategies, and poor supervision and training. It is pitiful because they expect students to imitate that. Talk about horrible role models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment