U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-18-2009, 04:17 PM

5,649 posts, read 9,302,073 times
Default Posting Resume On Craigslist?

I know Craigslist has jobs posted, some legitimate-some not so. I also noticed that there is an area for posting a resume or giving resume info. Some postings are actual resumes, while others are just paragraphs of experience without showing dates/companies. Has anyone in C-D Land put a resume on Craigslist? Wonder if any companies go to Craigslist/Resumes to look for a potiential employee? Already have my resume on two major job websites on the Internet, but with not much going on.
Comments/Suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-18-2009, 04:31 PM

4,809 posts, read 10,182,860 times
I used to post my resume but I never got any hits. I posted my full resume, minus proper names.

It seemed to me a lot to expect that an employer would make the effort to sort through reams of resumes on craigslist, and contact you. Posting only a paragraph instead of your entire resume requires even more work on an employer's part.

I stopped posting my resume to focus on other means of finding a job.

Unread 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,194,583 times
I would rewrite your resume within your profile in LinkedIn instead. You might have better luck this way as opposed to Craigslist.

Unread 11-18-2009, 06:08 PM

21,282 posts, read 27,060,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I would rewrite your resume within your profile in LinkedIn instead. You might have better luck this way as opposed to Craigslist.

Agreed. At my last position, recruiting was a big part of my job. I never looked at resumes on Craigslist, although I posted help wanted ads for various positions on there from time to time. I looked on Career Builder, Monster, and LinkedIn for resumes.

Unread 11-18-2009, 07:13 PM
FBJ

31,402 posts, read 19,077,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I know Craigslist has jobs posted, some legitimate-some not so. I also noticed that there is an area for posting a resume or giving resume info. Some postings are actual resumes, while others are just paragraphs of experience without showing dates/companies. Has anyone in C-D Land put a resume on Craigslist? Wonder if any companies go to Craigslist/Resumes to look for a potiential employee? Already have my resume on two major job websites on the Internet, but with not much going on.
Comments/Suggestions

I posted a resume on craiglist back in April without my name and address and email and was contacted by a respected employment agency in Philadelphia that was able to get a temp job making $14 an hour.

I think it's RARE though because 98% of the replies were spam

Unread 11-18-2009, 07:39 PM

784 posts, read 1,574,772 times
I've done it. Got an internship at Morgan Stanley through Craigslist.

Unread 11-19-2009, 07:28 AM

So, is LinkedIn like Monster or Careerbuilder? Is it an actual employment website? Is LinkedIn a fairly new website? From LinkedIn's description page, it looks simular to Facebook! I just really wonder how many employers and agencies use LinkedIn, compared to other two. My wife got an account on LinkedIn last night, done a short Profile, but is somewhat "weary" about a website that appears to be like Facebook much more than employment......as she told me.
If you were going to try the Resume area of Craigslist, how much of your resume would you put on it? Monster and Careerbuilder have my entire resume.

Unread 11-19-2009, 07:37 AM

21,282 posts, read 27,060,476 times
LinkedIn is part of Web 2.0--networking. But instead of "Social" it's professional. In my opinion, both are incredibly important when seeking a job. You will find an incredible wealth of professional information as well as jobs that aren't posted anywhere else. She needs to join a few groups in the accounting spectrum and build her network as large as possible.

If I were posting a resume on Craigslist I would remove all identifying information, and instead of naming my previous employers I would say something like, "A medium sized import/export company specializing in auto parts" and "A Fortune 100 in the Medical Sector"--obviously using specifics to your former employers.

Unread 11-19-2009, 07:38 AM

5,973 posts, read 11,194,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
So, is LinkedIn like Monster or Careerbuilder? Is it an actual employment website? Is LinkedIn a fairly new website? From LinkedIn's description page, it looks simular to Facebook! I just really wonder how many employers and agencies use LinkedIn, compared to other two. My wife got an account on LinkedIn last night, done a short Profile, but is somewhat "weary" about a website that appears to be like Facebook much more than employment......as she told me.
If you were going to try the Resume area of Craigslist, how much of your resume would you put on it? Monster and Careerbuilder have my entire resume.
LinkedIn has been operational for at least 3 years if not more. It is a networking site like Facebook, but the difference is that it is used more as a professional networking site rather than as a social networking site. Much like FB, you invite "friends", here called "Connections". Connections are people you have worked with in the past or present, have done business with, people you want to do business with (such as recruiters), people you went to school with. When you become connected, you are able to view not just their profile (what they do for a living, where they worked in the past, etc) but more importantly, people who they are connected with. You can ask to be introduced to their connection. You can ask to be recommended. If you are recommended, a little Thumbs Up icon appears on your profile. The more recommendations you have, the more marketable you can become. Once the introduction is accepted, the person is now your connection and you can communicate with this person in private for whatever.

In LinkedIn also, there would be local groups in either your area or line of business. You can join those groups. For example, you can join a group of supply chain professionals, a group local to Jax, which then may have a job board. The difference is that you will actually see the name of the person who is advertising for a job and they usually are inviting applications. You can then ask questions pre-and post application about your posting. IOW, I think you can get up higher on the hiring process than merely Careerbuilder or Monster.

Like CB and M, you can be searched as well in LinkedIn. You don't need to put in your other personal info. You need a name and e-mail address. You can be as general or detailed in your profile.

Unread 11-19-2009, 08:25 AM

As far as my wife goes, she is much more private about herself than I am! At her age, lower 60's, she just won't be working that much longer anyway, so getting involved with "groups" and such isn't necessary. "I let my resume do the talking," as she tells me and, seeing her resume, ANYONE could understand that! From what I can tell, the closer and closer older folks get to getting SSI, they aren't into doing all this stuff to find a job, as the younger generation is. Believe me, I've know my wife's resume and she has a lot of Accounting experience and education (w/a BA Degree, plus). It's basically her age (when found out), as well as mine, that get us into trouble!
As far as Craigslist goes, I totally understand/like your comments below about keeping certain things off.
Thanks, annerk! As always, you are very helpful/imformative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
LinkedIn is part of Web 2.0--networking. But instead of "Social" it's professional. In my opinion, both are incredibly important when seeking a job. You will find an incredible wealth of professional information as well as jobs that aren't posted anywhere else. She needs to join a few groups in the accounting spectrum and build her network as large as possible.

If I were posting a resume on Craigslist I would remove all identifying information, and instead of naming my previous employers I would say something like, "A medium sized import/export company specializing in auto parts" and "A Fortune 100 in the Medical Sector"--obviously using specifics to your former employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment