Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 AM

18 posts, read 34,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why does a person with a 4 year degree consider himself overqualified for retail? As a manager on top of that! Does that mean that a person with a 2 year degree is semi over qualified. I work at Macys, and we have tons of people with 4 year degree working for us. Non of them have a degree that has anything to do with retail. I thought over qualified meant that you are too knowledgeable for that kind of job. I must be all wrong.
The whole "overqualified" BS always gets me. I mean, if I'm applying for a particular job, DOESN'T that kind of indicate that I'd like to have the position and would not "get too bored with it because of my previous experience and background" or whatever, as 'overqualified' supposedly implies, from what I've heard?

How can a person possibly be overqualified for a job?? No qualifications are "too much" if you ask me. That just raises productivity and gives someone a job. Why turn down a really good worker? It'd only be "overqualified" in terms of allocation of resources and such (i.e. the person and/or economy might be better suited if a lower-skill employee got the job rather than they), but if someone who's high-skilled (for whatever reason) REALLY wants to apply for a particular lower-skilled job, let them have it. Your company can only go further with them on the team.

I swear, employers in this freaking country are "schizophrenic" or something. If it's not one thing, it's another. The bogus benefit packaging and skimping, short-sightedness of executives, the most dubious gimmicks (Pizza Hut has PLENTY of em, I swear... as if they REALLY need em, or they'll lose all their profits in a month), American workers having to work far longer than most of our Western allies just to make ends meet, the way they pile on with online apps, esp. that assessment BS (Is that REALLY a scientific and/or "proven" way of determining who's a "good" candidate??), endless pursuit of 'maximum' profit (as if BILLIONS already aren't enough), sometimes at the expense of all else, and so on.

And what's with the crap in these apps about, "Explain gaps in your employment history"? WHO THE HELL CARES! What's it to you? How's it anyone's business? Do employers REALLY judge my ability as a potential employee based on THAT kinda nonsense? As long as I have what it takes and was a pretty good employee in all my previous jobs, I don't see how that gap **** is relevant. But maybe I'm wrong. After all, I'm not a manager. However, it does sound pretty ****ing absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM

29,807 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randysavage69 View Post
How can a person possibly be overqualified for a job??
By having education or experience that goes above what is called for at that particular job.

Quote:
No qualifications are "too much" if you ask me. That just raises productivity and gives someone a job.
They are not asking you, they are trying to save the most by not wasting money hiring the wrong candidate. Employers are not here to make the world a better place, or ease your troubles, unless you want to buy a pizza or something. Some people will get bored with the job and be less productive. Others may resent having to perform boring tasks for little pay when they could be, and should be utilizing their abilities elsewhere.

Quote:
Why turn down a really good worker? It'd only be "overqualified" in terms of allocation of resources and such (i.e. the person and/or economy might be better suited if a lower-skill employee got the job rather than they), but if someone who's high-skilled (for whatever reason) REALLY wants to apply for a particular lower-skilled job, let them have it.
Because that good worker more often than not will jump to a better opportunity when the better opportunity becomes available. Employers are generally looking for long term employees, until they no longer need them. They want you to leave on their terms, not yours.

Quote:
Your company can only go further with them on the team.
Yea, the boss will love the grunt who knows more than they do, and isn't afraid to display it.

Quote:
I swear, employers in this freaking country are "schizophrenic" or something. If it's not one thing, it's another. The bogus benefit packaging and skimping, short-sightedness of executives, the most dubious gimmicks (Pizza Hut has PLENTY of em, I swear... as if they REALLY need em, or they'll lose all their profits in a month),
They have every right to maximize their profits at your expense. In fact, it is not at your expense. You take whatever you can get for your labor, and they do not have to offer you anything more than minimum wage. You always have the right to seek better opportunities than what they are offering.

Quote:
American workers having to work far longer than most of our Western allies just to make ends meet,
Americans, by and large, are still the best compensated workers in the world, with a few exceptions. Try your luck in Mexico, which is also a high wage country, and see if you carry the same mindset. At the same time, you may legitametly be struggling to make ends meet working at Pizza Hut. It is not Pizza Hut's job to ensure your bills are paid at the end of the month. It is not Pizza Huts job to ensure that you make a livable wage. That is your responsibility. All they have to do is sign the check for which you agreed to work for. If you can do better for yourself, than I would encourage you to look elsewhere.

Quote:
the way they pile on with online apps, esp. that assessment BS (Is that REALLY a scientific and/or "proven" way of determining who's a "good" candidate??),
No, but they may feel it's the best method available. If you know a better way, I'm sure they would be willing to pay big $$$ for it, because it would save them a lot of time, effort and money. As it stands, there are no proven ways to measure an employees potential in a given position, which is why they use their methods. They could throw darts at the pictures of potential employees as a way to select a candidate if they really wanted to, since it is their business and they assume responsibility for such selection processes.

Quote:
endless pursuit of 'maximum' profit (as if BILLIONS already aren't enough), sometimes at the expense of all else, and so on.
Capitalism, nuff said. Investors are a demanding bunch, so go buy some stock if you want to reap upon the rewards of your companies cutbacks. Actually, they performed quite well on my investment account, so I have no complaints.

Quote:
And what's with the crap in these apps about, "Explain gaps in your employment history"? WHO THE HELL CARES! What's it to you? How's it anyone's business? Do employers REALLY judge my ability as a potential employee based on THAT kinda nonsense?
Yes they do. That is their job. If they do not want to hire someone with a gap, they do not have to. It is their decision. If you don't like it, you always have the option of creating your own job. As it stands, they are the one offering the job and so you must compete for it. it would make no sense for them to hire someone out of sympathy when they could hire someone they feel is a better candidate.

Quote:
As long as I have what it takes and was a pretty good employee in all my previous jobs, I don't see how that gap **** is relevant. But maybe I'm wrong. After all, I'm not a manager. However, it does sound pretty ****ing absurd.
Hiring is generally based on statistical probability and broad generalizations. Someone with the gap may have a higher statistical chance of turning out to be a waste of an employee. Once again, they are offering the job so they can do whatever they feel gives the greatest probability of finding a successful candidate for the job.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
Macy's and McDonald's both work people full-time. You have to do your time as a part-timer, though to get to the full-time. My mother started out part-time, crappy hours (16 hours a week) not far from minimum wage and then chose to apply for a commissioned makeup counter job, where her wage went up a ton. Macy's phased her makeup brand out, demoted her to part-time, but kept her because they were impressed with her, and she still makes the wage she made manning the counter for the makeup brand, I think she now makes $11.25 an hour, plus commission for what she is doing now. She currently works 21 hours a week.

When I worked Mickey D's as a teen, the entire day shift at the one I worked at was full-time, working the full 40 hours a week, with benefits, and far above minimum wage. It was mostly us night shift people who only worked part-time, the night shift crew is what they called us. I know of a few people who have worked and stayed at McDonald's working their way up from minimum wage and 16 hours a week and night shift to $12-15 an hour, full-time with benefits, working days. But you do have to do your time.

When I was 18, I was making $9 an hour at the time when minimum wage was 5 something at a Blimpie's. My boss liked me and had no problems with giving me raises. I started out there at $6 an hour.

So yes, it is plausible to make more in retail and food service. If you don't bail and actually show up for work and don't anger the customers, the managers will like you.

I get the overqualified line as well, and all because I have a CNA certification. I cannot believe that I am being told that I am overqualified! Its getting really annoying! I wouldn't mind working retail if it meant I got off unemployment and food stamps!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,830 times
Hi, does anyone know if Toys R Us offers health insurance to part time employees?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Well, in my experience they do. I have a degree as well and have yet to find a job in my field.

I currently work full time at Nordstrom and they are a great company to work for. Downside is it is 100% commission based. If you work in a very busy department then this will not be a problem and you will make A LOT of money. They are also always hiring new sales associates to join the team. I have access to benefits, stock options, 401K, IRA, Roth accounts...etc.

It was a very quick hiring process as well.

Although, I would like to eventually work in Finance. This is just for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment