U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM

3,647 posts, read 2,858,277 times
Default A thread for volunteer workers -- what type work are you involved with?

Good day everyone. I'm interested in learning about the volunteers we have on our forum. What type of volunteer work do you perform? How long have you done this? If unemployed, has your volunteer work provided any employment leads during the current recession? I am a docent at the Georgia Governor's Mansion and have done this for two and a half years. Also, I am an officer and public affairs contact in a woman's club. I have been a member of this club for two years, although I haven't held the leadership roles that long. For the third consecutive year I will serve as a docent with the Marietta Christmas Pilgrimage, a highly rated Christmas home tour in the Southeast. I have obtained some leads from other volunteers, but the companies had hiring freezes. I'm looking forward to hearing what our members do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 PM

23,512 posts, read 30,966,214 times
I volunteer for a couple of groups. One raises funds for a variety of charities, particularly one for kids with cancer and a local food bank. I also volunteer with a group involved with animal rescue. I work on fundraising projects for both, including planning events and bringing in sponsors.

I didn't get my job through the volunteer work, but I definitely had people helping me in my job search who I met through the volunteer work.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:18 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,065,979 times
Currently, I volunteer at my church teaching job skills, interviewing skills and computer skills to the 17-21 age group, for the last two years. Previously, I mentored for Streetwise Partner in NYC for a couple of years, teaching job/computer skills. Ronald McDonald house over 20 years of volunteering for various projects. Habitat for Humanity, assisting in various projects. Tutored many of NYC elementary students' with math and reading. Aided the nursing homes during the holiday's with corporate gift giving. Secret Santa for too many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment