Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I do have one interesting observation. I've always found the 'lowly' jobs to be hard work. Much harder work than the jobs I've had that paid 50X more money. It shouldn't be that way but that's my experience.
Which is exactly why I tip waitresses 20 to 25%.

Lowliest job I've applied for, and I happened to get it, was busboy at Ken's House of Pancakes on the El Camino across the street from Stanford University right next to Stevens Creek.

I think it was $0.65 an hour and was one of the hardest jobs I've worked at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
I can't even get my dad to hire me at his company (he's the team leader/supervisor) that does electrical contracts for buildings/plants. His company is full of drop-outs, drug addicts, and felons. He said I shouldn't work at his place, even temporarily, because of how crappy the employees are.

He has one or two engineers in the company that I'd like to at least get some working experience under but no luck. Thanks a lot dad LOL.

I'm currently trying to get an engineering technician job which pays $10k- $15K less than what I'd make as an engineer but I am willing to do so to get my foot in the door. Easier said than done.
Personally, I think I'd bug your dad a little more, sounds like either you two don't get along to begin with or he doesn't realize how sick this economy is. It sounds like it would be the "break" you need to get ahead and right or wrong, he has to realize that a lot of people are taking advantage of family and "connections" to get somewhere in this near-jobless world we live in right now. Tell him your a grown man and you can deal with the employees there.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,705 times
When I was in my mid twenties I use to be a grease monkey and part of that job was washing maggots off of garbage trucks. YIKES!

We all do what we have too!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Waitress (breakfast server) lasted one day. It sucked.
Read Nickeled and Dimed. The people paid the worst work the hardest (retail, maids, servers).
I read that book over and over and over again. Good stuff.

I could relate to alot of it. I worked briefly at a hotel in laundry and many of those people she described in her book I saw in some of my co-workers.

Everyone should read it. Maybe they will think twice before they yell at their waitress or poke fun at Wal-Mart or other retail and hospitality workers.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:38 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Insurance sales job that I got notice of thru spam in my email..

Hell, I'd rather do a minimum wage cashier or fast food job even if it means a steady but lower average pay!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Read Nickeled and Dimed. The people paid the worst work the hardest (retail, maids, servers).
Very good book

Old 11-21-2009, 06:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I think that's a great book too!

Old 11-21-2009, 07:01 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I mean actually applied for. I realize that "lowliest" is a vague term, as one man's junk is another man's treasure.

We talk a lot in this forum about how there are NO jobs available. I can say it too, but the truth is there are a billion I have NOT applied for, so how would I know?

Anyway, went through the KFC drive-through today. There was a nice enough minority guy at the window. I wondered if I could get his job. Nevermind the fact that I was an asst mgr of a KFC when I was 17. 33 years later I am wondering if I could get his job!

Anyway, what is your bottom in terms of a job application?
a security job, not because of the pay but because that's not a field with a future

Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I do not consider any job beneath me. I have worked as a waitress and a motel housekeeper and I gladly would again if circumstances required. I have nothing but the utmost respect for people who work hard to earn their living. They are the backbone of this country.

In fact, I have more respect for them than some manager who sits on his/her butt in a cushy office and doesn't have a clue. I have met a lot of them also, unfortunately.

20yrsinBranson
Thank you

Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Waitress (breakfast server) lasted one day. It sucked.
I love that book.

No truer words were ever put down on paper, let me tell you. The author Barbara Ehrenreich nailed it. If you can, get a copy at abebooks.com and read it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment