U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 7,279 times
Default group discussion for Bank Teller job

I am going for an interview for bank teller and they are going to have group discussions. Does anybody have any idea what topics they tell us to discuss. Thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,615,673 times
Do you mean a group interview?

Typically in a group interview, one or two interviewers ask formulaic questions to a group of twenty or thirty applicants. The questions are provided by the corporation, because they can't trust the interviewers to run a decent interview on their own. In my experience, that's because the managers running the interview have very little qualifications to be managers in the first place. And usually, the interviewers don't even bother to listen to your answer. And they don't care about your qualifications. They will only choose the people who respond to each question first.

They ask questions like describe a time when you worked as a team. describe a time when you solved a problem. describe a time when you were able to 'upsell' a customer. Et cetera.

So don't be polite and wait your turn. Jump in and be the first person to answer, every time. Talk over someone else if you must. Be cutthroat. Trample everyone. They want to see that. Because they want their employees to treat customers the same way--the hard sell (whether you are selling housewares or banking 'products').

That's been my experience anyway.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 PM

6,526 posts, read 8,019,700 times
It's amazing what kinds of jobs get "group interviews" in this economy. On Monday I was in a "group interview" (albeit with only 2 other applicants) for a p/t after-school math tutor job.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:57 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,860,296 times
That's interesting. Let us know how this works out.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 PM

49 posts, read 165,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangeetad View Post
I am going for an interview for bank teller and they are going to have group discussions. Does anybody have any idea what topics they tell us to discuss. Thankyou.
I come from the banking industry and I can tell you what the likely focus will be: THE SALES CULTURE.

Banking has changed DRASTICALLY over the last 10-15 years. Gone are the days of going in to see your local banker to get a loan or stach away a few bucks for a rainy day. Today, at the branch level, EVERY employee (tellers included) is saddled with near unattainable goals to sell, sell, sell. Everyone becomes a pushy salespeople. Banks train you to profile each and ever customer and to use a never ending series of sales pitches to get them to move their business to your bank. They expect you to engage customers with sales presentations at every contact. Checking accounts, Savings Accounts, Debit Cards, Safe Deposit Boxes, Loans, Investments, Trust Accounts, Credit Cards, Insurance, Merchant Services, Cash Management Services, Annunites, Mortgages..............the list never ends. If you are uncomfortable with (or unable to embrace) this culture, you will not be happy working there and they will quickly show you the door. The quotas to sell increase quarterly and test your patience and devotion and in some instances, your pay (yes, even at the teller level), is tied to meeting your quota.

So, in your interview, be prepared to discuss your past experience as a sales person and how you will embrace this culture. Otherwise you will not be considered.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,520,431 times
I hate those. They are probably going to take your ideas and run with it. Then they will hire their relative or their best friend for the job.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,432,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I come from the banking industry and I can tell you what the likely focus will be: THE SALES CULTURE.

Banking has changed DRASTICALLY over the last 10-15 years. Gone are the days of going in to see your local banker to get a loan or stach away a few bucks for a rainy day. Today, at the branch level, EVERY employee (tellers included) is saddled with near unattainable goals to sell, sell, sell. Everyone becomes a pushy salespeople. Banks train you to profile each and ever customer and to use a never ending series of sales pitches to get them to move their business to your bank. They expect you to engage customers with sales presentations at every contact. Checking accounts, Savings Accounts, Debit Cards, Safe Deposit Boxes, Loans, Investments, Trust Accounts, Credit Cards, Insurance, Merchant Services, Cash Management Services, Annunites, Mortgages..............the list never ends. If you are uncomfortable with (or unable to embrace) this culture, you will not be happy working there and they will quickly show you the door. The quotas to sell increase quarterly and test your patience and devotion and in some instances, your pay (yes, even at the teller level), is tied to meeting your quota.

So, in your interview, be prepared to discuss your past experience as a sales person and how you will embrace this culture. Otherwise you will not be considered.
I have worked at 2 banks for a total of about 12 years as a receptionist/PBX operator. Yes, regrettably IMO, many banks have indeed gone to the "hard-sell "approach or at the very least what they call "sales culture." Personally, I don't think I could work in that type of environment. Thankfully, they do not all operate that way. The one I currently work for does not. (It is locally owned with 16 locations in north Texas only.) I have never heard of a "group interview" situation. So I don't know what to tell you to expect on that.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:43 AM

6,586 posts, read 16,185,540 times
I had group interviews twice - both for filght attendant gigs. In those cases I think it was just faster because they ruled out so many peeps just based on appearance alone. They had hundreds of applicants at each interview time and they divided you into groups of 10-12. You'd stand up and answer a question or two and then sit down and they would go to the next one. Second round was individual.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,520,431 times
Sounds annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I had group interviews twice - both for filght attendant gigs. In those cases I think it was just faster because they ruled out so many peeps just based on appearance alone. They had hundreds of applicants at each interview time and they divided you into groups of 10-12. You'd stand up and answer a question or two and then sit down and they would go to the next one. Second round was individual.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:06 AM

7,827 posts, read 8,196,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post

That has been the norm in that industry for many years. I think it is odd when they do it for office type jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment