Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:59 PM

408 posts, read 723,633 times

Advertisements

If so what kind of career have you made for yourself after the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:17 PM

475 posts, read 1,643,851 times
I got a buddy that had a General discharge. Ya, he went AWOL. He makes a poor living. He has had a hard life. All I can say is "This Bud is for you".

Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM

484 posts, read 1,216,594 times
A less than honorable discharge shouldn't keep you from a decent career. A bad conduct or dishonorable one very well could because those generally come from criminal convictions.

I have an honorable discharge and have had two jobs since getting out. Neither job even bothered to ask for proof of discharge. The only problem you should have with a less than honorable discharge is with government employment or work in the security/police fields. No one else is likely to care. That said, those who get a less than honorable are often the ones likely to not have other skills and qualities that make for a good employee.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I think it depends on what type of work you want to do. A friend of mine has a general discharge due to a non-service related medical issue that cropped-up in her first few months of duty (ie not enough service for an honorable discharge) and works as an executive assistant. She makes decent money and no one has ever said peep about her not having an "honorable" discharge, and she's been very forthcoming about receiving a general discharge. I think it depends on exactly the type of discharge and the reason behind it.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 72,840 times
annerk,
I am new to this site and look forward to getting more involved. I recently sent you a message but unsure if you received it. It was brief email asking for info about the Orlando/Clermont/Davenport area for retired military. If needed, I can resend.
Thank you for your time.
John

Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
If so what kind of career have you made for yourself after the military?
I don't think it would matter if you have a less than honorable discharge unless you're applying for government employment, just as someone else had said earlier. You can also "upgrade" the less than honorable discharge to a general i believe if they find that that's what you deserve.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
As enigmaingr says, most discharges wouldn't be an issue for an employer even if the do check.

Most private employers who don't encounter servicepersons regularly don't know the difference between a General Discharge and a Other than Honorable (OTH) discharge. Even if they did, many of the circumstances that the military would dismiss for are not something a private employer cares about (like adultery).

But Bad Conduct and Dishonorable Discharge would be another matter, because they usually are the result of criminal offenses.

By the way, you can have your discharge records change. Here is an article about how to do that:

Correcting your Military Record

Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 65,018 times
The characterization of your service doesn't matter nearly as much as what you choose to do after the service. I am VERY familiar with this process. After 3 years on active duty, I received a BCD for failing to follow a lawful order. After I got out, I went to (and graduated) college. I worked hard, and funded my education with academic grants and student loans. I worked as a firefighter for 5 years. I have also worked for other employers, and have had a career in construction. I made it to the final phase of selection for DEA special agent, and only missed that opportunity because the government cut funding for new agents (and deleted classes) for 2.5 years. When hiring resumed, I was the one that turned them down because of life and situation changes. Currently, I am finishing my last semester of law school.
The point is: Don't let yourself be defined by your failures or mistakes. Never give up! The characterization of your service really only matters for VA benefits, and of course yourself. Other people will give you the opportunities and respect that you show them that you deserve. Work hard, maintain your integrity, and keep you chin up, and you will be alright!!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:15 PM

23 posts, read 238,819 times
As my username states. I received a bad conduct discharge from the army in 2008.

I have held very great jobs since my release from confinement. I have worked Loss Prevention. I have conducted the supervision of State defendants court ordered to be on electronic ankle monitoring.

I now attend a "sub class" of Law Enforcement. Details i will not disclose here. So don't ask

My charges were:
Larceny of Government Property
Sale of .....
Attempt to sale of .....

I received with a plea agreement held under a General Court Martial:
12 months confinement
Reduction of Rank to E-1
Forfeiture of all pay and allowances
Bad Conduct Discharge

!!!!NOW!!! since my release. I have fought for my GI Bill and after 12 denial letters from the VA. I was approved to receive 100% full GI Bill benefits.
Note: That the requirement for GI BILL benefits is to have 90 days of honorable active duty service. Since I received a Good Conduct Medal which is 3 years of honorable service. and that I re-enlisted at my 2 year mark. I was approved. They tried to shoot me down. But when I hinted that I will file a lawsuit for breach of contract. The jumped at approving the GI BILL.

Now I'm just beginning my fight with the VA to have my medical benefits. My battle will be the same since their requirements are basically the same thing. I do for now have the VA's five year medical benifits for combat veterans. But I was shot while in the army and need additional surgery's to repair the damage.

For all of you out there that think all because you have a discharge that isn't an Honorable. Look at your records. Look at your records. Look at your records.

Scan over your original military contract. In it you will find the exact requirements that you and the VA agreed on at the time. It doesn't matter what their requirements are right now. They MUUUUUST uphold the contract you held when you enlisted. If you re-enlisted then you are golden. If you have any Good Conduct Medals, then you are golden. If you deployed to combat, then you should have five year "combat veteran preference"

I am in the beginning of have my Discharge upgraded.

I contacted the BATF "ATF" yesterday. And ran my entire case by their agent. He and I quote his words not mine. "well, since you were tried under the UCMJ and not a state or federal court. Then your charges were not against the united states but the military." "the term in the Gun Control Act of 1968 that talks about were you charged of under indictment of a crime punishable by more than one year actually only applies to violent crimes and crimes against a person." "since your charges were only theft related. It was against property and not against a person." "so from the ATF regulations point of view, your fine to have a weapon." "just to play it safe, go grab a records check from the state troopers and if it says your good then your good." "I've been in the ATF for 18 years and have ran thousands of background checks and never not even once had a military record show up." "even when we request for a suspects military records, it takes tons of letters, memorandums, and takes weeks or months to get a copy."

These are the words of a near retirement ATF agent.

So again, when you get out. DO NOT hang your head low and think all is lost. For those Dishonorably Discharged. I'm sorry but the BS you'll find on Google will tell you that your SOL. NOT TRUE.
You can also have some but not all benefits. You will never get medical but try for the GI BILL.

I'm also looking into having my "civil rights" restored. Also called "Restoration of Rights". City and State convicted Felons apply to their individual state. I'm unsure about military convictions tho. But basically when you restore your civil rights. You are regaining you 1-right to vote and 2-right to bear arms.
If anyone else has any advise they could share with me it would be outstanding. If you need assistance with anything I have achieved just ask.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:34 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,831 times
While passing through Kuwait International Airport I talked to plenty of military contractors who admitted to have less than honorable discharges (not sure about BCD's but at plenty of General Discharges) and worked for companies in Iraq, albeit likely lesser-known "fly-by-night" PMC companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment