U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 PM

829 posts, read 1,576,352 times
Thanks a lot dnc...I have heard this advice before online...especially from landscpaing businesses...however we make a lot of money on this side of our business and it really helps in the slow season...and also we have a good reputation, and keep bringing in busines, however if the skills dont come for me, i will have to do that. Thanks a lot.

Do you have a business like that now? Did you have a full property maintenance business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 PM

289 posts, read 434,710 times
Right now I have a Lawn and Landscape Business. I have crews that cut grass,trim bushes, and I have crews that install hardscapes. We do a lot of brick patios,walkways, retaining walls. I find the repetetive nature of the mowing keeps cash flow going in the summer and we plow snow for those same customers in the winter.

The Hardscape crew and mulch crew is pretty much gravy, as the mowing and plowing crews pay the basic bills.

When I began, I had more experience in construction than landscaping, so we did roofing, siding, kitchens, bathrooms. ALOT of running around to home depot. It seemed like I spent an hour or two each day at home depot. It drove me nuts.

The landscaping work is so simple compared to construction. We work with dirt, stone, mulch, brick and plants. The pay is just as good if not better than construction. Plus, its much easier to train landscapers than carpenters for everything other than the brickwork which is just about as technical as carpentry.

So after a couple years I dropped the carpentry work and concentrated on the landscaping work. Summers now I write out about 12 paychecks, so it has worked out well.

Now I am on this website, because I am obsessed with selling everything and moving down to warmer weather, so I can landscape all year long and get out of this snow!

Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
YAZ

6,131 posts, read 6,496,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick1973 View Post
pick up that saw, it's not that hard, plus lots of how to books to learn from. woodworking is fun. Remember to measure twice and cut once. the local comunity college may have a course on framing.

The owner of a small business must be able to perform every function of the business, from keeping the books to cleaning the shop.
I cut it twice but it's still too short....

Good advice.

Education and experience will make money.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 AM

Thanks for taking the time to write that...

Did you do the carpentry and lawn care at the same time for a while? How did you title your business? Property Maintenance?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
Right now I have a Lawn and Landscape Business. I have crews that cut grass,trim bushes, and I have crews that install hardscapes. We do a lot of brick patios,walkways, retaining walls. I find the repetetive nature of the mowing keeps cash flow going in the summer and we plow snow for those same customers in the winter.

The Hardscape crew and mulch crew is pretty much gravy, as the mowing and plowing crews pay the basic bills.

When I began, I had more experience in construction than landscaping, so we did roofing, siding, kitchens, bathrooms. ALOT of running around to home depot. It seemed like I spent an hour or two each day at home depot. It drove me nuts.

The landscaping work is so simple compared to construction. We work with dirt, stone, mulch, brick and plants. The pay is just as good if not better than construction. Plus, its much easier to train landscapers than carpenters for everything other than the brickwork which is just about as technical as carpentry.

So after a couple years I dropped the carpentry work and concentrated on the landscaping work. Summers now I write out about 12 paychecks, so it has worked out well.

Now I am on this website, because I am obsessed with selling everything and moving down to warmer weather, so I can landscape all year long and get out of this snow!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 PM

475 posts, read 958,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
You are exactly right...what would you do if 5 years from now it was just myself, and i still didnt feel comfortable tackling a bigger carpentry job ...but i still wanted to keep the carpentry side of my property maint./home improvement business...and pops had retired?

thanks a lot.
Subcontract! cost plus 20%. But you are compeating against others that do it themselve.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:41 AM

still want to hear some more ideas...thanks

Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 PM

I have a chance of getting another job for 3 days a week...12 hrs a day...it would add another 15-20,000 a yr. Should I take this? I enjoy working, and my mom is saying she would help me out...but i enjoy working and dont feel like a man when im sitting home not working because of lack of work...What would you do in this situation? Would you keep trying to build the business 6-7 months and being secure with money from moms/pops or should I take another job to help out? Love some opinions...thanks...

Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM

bump

Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 AM

I would like to bring this back up to aqquire any new ideas that someone may have about expanding my business. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment