Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If I were you (and 8 years ago I was the exact same way), I would work on the lack of social skills. Introverts will never love being the life of the party, but being able to play the role of the extroverted sociallite is very helpful to your career. It took me years to 'train' myself to be outgoing, but it was definately worth it.

Pick up 'How to Win Friends and Influence People', it is a book every introvert should read.
HNSQ,

How did you 'train' yourself to be outgoing? I am in the exact same position as the OP but i have the desire to have the ability to play the role of the extroverted socialite. How many years did it take for you train yourself? What steps did you take? I'm incredibly socially inept and need to learn people skills because the only careers i am looking to pursue require me to be extroverted by nature. I am looking into either working as a caseworker or in human resources (oh the irony!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
auditor
accountant
park ranger

Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM

543 posts, read 3,077,234 times
Truck driver; you can listen to all the audiobooks and podcasts you want.

Last edited by Kansoku; 11-18-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 AM

42 posts, read 135,988 times
The best way to get over it to some extent is to throw yourself into a job that forces you to deal with people every day. Might take a year or two, but you will pick up some people skills. Looking for a job for introverted people really isn't the best idea, as you'll probably be miserable in a few years.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 AM

Jobs For People Who Don't Like People - Yahoo! Education

Old 11-22-2010, 09:07 AM

35 posts, read 64,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
auditor
accountant
park ranger
Wrong about the auditor part!! I am an audior, and it requires a vast amount of communication between numerous people... not the job for you if you don't like to socialize or 'interview' others!!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM

All you should have to do is say "show me your books and leave me the heck alone for a few hours" Or a few days, as the case might be.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM

335 posts, read 938,778 times
It's funny, I am an INFJ (I have taken this test probably 10 times in 10 years)and in a field that involves constant talking to people. I fell into it and need the money but I despise it.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinedown View Post
Thanks for the advice, but to be honest I'm rather comfortable and happy the way I am. I know it's hard for people to understand that, but it's true. I feel at my best when I'm alone; physically, intellectually, and emotionally.
I perfectly understand. I'm like that.
However, I "fake" being social VERY well at work. I'll do it for the paycheck.
But outside work, pleaaasssse leave me alone. Guess that came from the mess I've experienced from others through the years, especially recently.
Oh, I'm nice to neighbors and business associates. We trade favors. I pay them for their services, and I'm pleased with their services (yard work, home improvements, etc.)
Anyway, learn to fake it (being social), and you'll be okay. Just think of the money.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,616 times
In audit work you're usually crammed in a room with your team members for 60-70 hours a week. Sometimes more.

Tax isn't much better, although you tend to do your work by yourself there can be a lot of networking and political skills required depending on how big a firm you work at. You have to be able to "put yourself out there," or you'll be toast. Someone mentioned in another post that specialty tax work was a good place for introverts and that may be true, but you have to survive several years of intense competition to get to the point where you are able to work on your own, and even then you spend a lot of your time schmoozing and trying to get new clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment